Maple Leafs Uniform and Jersey Concepts Thread

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
A while ago, to preserve some sense of blue and white pride, I separated Leafs ownership from 'the team'.
For the sake of my own Leaf-sanity, I see them now as two separate entities.
So, I LOVE my Leafs, while at the same time, I DESPISE Leafs' post-1967 ownership for what they've done to this historic franchise.
It hurts me to see how MLS&E has turned the once proud and mighty Maple Leafs into an on-going joke.

MLS&E has grossly mismanaged our loyalty, and has financed its empire on the backs of our hockey passion.
I'm all for business profiting while delivering a good product or service, but the fatcats at MLS&E have failed to deliver what their fans deserve...
A consistently winning hockey team.
They've prospered because they have the NHL*monopoly in the world's largest hockey market,
and they've ridden the coat-tails of a glorious past that they've had absolutely nothing to do with.

I've even wondered at times, if the Leafs' playoffs absence was entirely a bad thing for MLS&E.
It allowed for the Toronto spotlight to be focused entirely on their up-and-coming Raptors brand.
...A bit of a conflict of interest, IMO.

This "new" logo is a nice vintage logo.
Nothing more-nothing less.
For me, it's just another example of this ownership's habit of reaching into a long-gone glorious past, whenever it needs a feel-good moment,
because, heaven knows, they've created very few F.G.M.'s over the past 50 years.
(Hey...MLS&E! Here's a novel idea!...How about creating some NEW feel-good success for us fans?!)
This*utilization of an old logo is like trotting-out poor old Johnny Bower for the umpteenth time.

I have my ear pretty close to the ground when it comes to all things hockey,
and I've heard no hue and cry for the abolition of the current logo.
In fact, for many Leafs' fans, the block-leaf logo has been the mark of many of their childhood hockey heroes...
Sittler, McDonald, Salming, Clark, Gilmore, Sundin, Motor City Smitty...
She (the block-Leaf logo) has been with us through the darkest times, and it's no fault of her own that she doesn't have more success associated with her angular shape.
I think that she, at least, deserves a Stanley Cup ring before we ditch her like an old girlfriend for something new (something old? I don't know. I'm confused.)

This bally-hoo over a new logo was much to do about nothing. It's not new.
We've seen this logo before and just recently, on the Leafs' 1998-2011 Alternative uniforms.
This newest version only differs by having the right amount of veins. (that's so lame)
At least Ballard's group had the balls to come up with something progressive.

For those of you who LOVE this "new" logo, MLS&E apparently already has stuff out there for you to buy.
So, open up you wallets and fill yer drawers!
Poor old MLS&E could really use some more of your hard-earned Leafs' money to help fund their new roof-canopy, on their BMO field for their soccer team!
Giddy-up!!

Hey, maybe the Leafs' fans should counter this 100th anniversary fluff with their own..."50th Anniversary of Futility" logo...
wws.jpg

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
How has there not been a leak of the new jersey yet?

Any news if pics will be released prior to the draft, or are we all gonna see it first once Matthews throws it over his head?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We won't see it until Matthews I believe.

Though, they could reveal it at the draft party before the draft.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Any news if pics will be released prior to the draft, or are we all gonna see it first once Matthews throws it over his head?

well it's Cone of Silence Toronto. :laugh: it's probably gonna be seen when Matthews throws it on.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

Well, even the logo was kept pretty air tight until reveal. I do hope we get a leak but not likely.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
I hope they skip the yoke on the blues

Agreed 100%.

I'm also certain we see the new sweater at least by the time the draft hits. No way they're throwing the old logo on their new franchise player when they've basically abandoned it already. My guess is they do a reveal sometime after the cup final. The Leafs tend to wait on the league to make big announcements. Not doing things like that when the league is showcasing itself during their championship series.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Agreed 100%.

I'm also certain we see the new sweater at least by the time the draft hits. No way they're throwing the old logo on their new franchise player when they've basically abandoned it already. My guess is they do a reveal sometime after the cup final. The Leafs tend to wait on the league to make big announcements. Not doing things like that when the league is showcasing itself during their championship series.

I'm betting the first time we'll see the new sweater will be when Matthews puts it on at the draft. I bet everything is ready to go, but will be kept tight lipped. Its a big deal changing a logo and sweater of such a historic franchise. What better way to reveal it then with the 1st overall selection and the new face of the franchise.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm betting the first time we'll see the new sweater will be when Matthews puts it on at the draft. I bet everything is ready to go, but will be kept tight lipped. Its a big deal changing a logo and sweater of such a historic franchise. What better way to reveal it then with the 1st overall selection and the new face of the franchise.

For me it's a foregone conclusion they're going to reveal it with the first overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad