Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sorry, not employed by a team.
He created the rules for the expansion draft and then helped said team that is currently waiting to start playing in the cup finals actually pick there team. If you can find actual basis for not liking the hire that is one thing but if you think he has been sitting around on his hands praying for a call you are grossly mistaken.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm guessing you like the hire? I would recommend providing some reasons you are happy with the move rather than sarcastic comments. Doesn't help evolve the conversation, friend.
Seriously, look at all the Canucks fans in here who are absolutely raving about this guy. They seem too love him to bit, and he was a consultant for McPhee in designing the Vegas team.
It's initially a fantastic hire.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Seems like the type of hire I expected. Unemployed for years, desperate to get back in the league and willing to work for a young GM with no reputation in the league.

The good thing is it sounds like he'll have Dubas' old role which means he'll have very little to no impact on the organization.

Unimpressive hire though.

I generally like your schtick but you've been too active over the past few days. I believe your act works best when you chime in more sporadically. By commenting so often, it comes across as trying a little too hard, and thereby impacts the arrogance factor that you are hoping to project.

Just my two cents.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Laurence Gilman was unemployed for less than 1 year, which is below usual for an executive.

He was being courted by CAR for an AGM role and was a candidate in becoming the new ECHL Commissioner.

Yet @The CyNick claims he’s been unemployed for years and this was his only option.

So much for being an insider.

Let’s see what @93LEAFS has to say about the hiring

I don't know if ECHL commissioner is a breeding ground of top level GMs.

We should be looking to bring in the best of the best, not guys desperate to get back into the game. Would people in here be happy if we hired Dave Poulin?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He created the rules for the expansion draft and then helped said team that is currently waiting to start playing in the cup finals actually pick there team. If you can find actual basis for not liking the hire that is one thing but if you think he has been sitting around on his hands praying for a call you are grossly mistaken.

Exactly on the Vegas team. He consulted them on how to build their team, and look where they are now. Of course, he isn't solely responsible, but McPhee does give him a lot of credit. He didn't do this as a volunteer, rather as a paid consultant... that should be obvious. As in, he was employed.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Nice hire for the Marlies! Great to hear all the Canucks fans chime in with the great work he did for them. Congrats Gilman! Let's get this thing rolling!

Reactions: Mork

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I think it makes tons of sense with how their cap is going to be structured soon. You're going to need to bend some cap rules to try and grab the best people you can get while watching your spending after the big 3 are signed. Pridham and apparently Gilman will help with that.

One last quote from the article which I thought was very interesting.

“What is very important to me, if I am going back to work for a team, would be to seek a situation similar to the one I came to Vancouver for,” he explained. “A collaborative, diverse group of people that enjoyed each other’s company, believed in the vision and were unified in their path to get there.”
Say this about Gilman: He knows a good workplace when he sees it.

Bettman has created a league that is 95% about the salary cap.

At least they understand this.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I really like this move with the limited info I have. Seems like Dubas has set up the AGM role to be cap extensive - 1 cap wizard with expertise in the leafs and 1 cap wizard with expertise with the cba and rest of the league.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Love, love, love this move for you. Guy is a cap wizard. Potentially the best in the league at managing it. Knows the CBA like the back of his hand. Very good move. Love what you're doing over there. As expected, Dubas knows exactly what he's doing.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
^^^^
Nope that's wrong, the cynick told me Gilman was desperate for a job. No way he could actually be good at cap management or something...

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
The promotion of Pridham and hiring of Gilman provide a clear indication of how much Kyle Dubas values the importance of salary cap management and asset management to the future success of the franchise. Both the NHL and NHLPA can opt out of the current CBA in 2019 so having this kind of expertise on the management team could be a huge asset.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs also add another voice to the management team with a scouting and player evaluation background and/or further beef up the scouting department to mitigate Mark Hunter's departure.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't know if ECHL commissioner is a breeding ground of top level GMs.

We should be looking to bring in the best of the best, not guys desperate to get back into the game. Would people in here be happy if we hired Dave Poulin?

“What is very important to me, if I am going back to work for a team, would be to seek a situation similar to the one I came to Vancouver for,” he explained. “A collaborative, diverse group of people that enjoyed each other’s company, believed in the vision and were unified in their path to get there.”

Sure sounds like a guy desperate to get back into the NHL

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Encouraging to see Dubas very quickly put an emphasis on having Salary Cap/CBA guru’s beside him, given the upcoming cap crunch we are going to have.

Especially if that’s his Dubas’ blind spot. It’s smart to recognize that and bring in guys that can help your weakness

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The promotion of Pridham and hiring of Gilman provide a clear indication of how much Kyle Dubas values the importance of salary cap management and asset management to the future success of the franchise. Both the NHL and NHLPA can opt out of the current CBA in 2019 so having this kind of expertise on the management team could be a huge asset.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs also add another voice to the management team with a scouting and player evaluation background and/or further beef up the scouting department to mitigate Mark Hunter's departure.

I am very much looking forward to how he approaches his scouting management and staff, from the amateur side to the pro side of things. I would expect a hire made there very soon-ish.

Reactions: Macallan18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad