Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Name Laurence Gilman Assistant General Manager

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
You guys will love him. He is a great negotiator and is a fantastic capologist and knows his way around the cap to build a contender

Had a big hand in putting together the 2011 Canucks, and also worked with the NHL to create the expansion draft for Vegas and was an advisor to McPhee so that McPhee could use the rules Gilman created to his advantage, so he was also a big hand in building the Vegas Cup final roster

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Not even the insiders around here saw that coming. Interesting indeed.

This is like an announcement a day for the Leafs. I assume tomorrow we'll hear about who is taking over the Director of Scouting position?

that is because none of them are insiders, they are just speculators. You only believe they are insiders because they continuously tell you they are.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Was trying to find out more about the guy. This was a decent article from the Athletic a year ago about him.
Laurence Gilman eager to get back into NHL, but waiting for...

Sorry if it's blocked but here's a quote from the article.
"Along with fellow assistant GM Lorne Henning and director of player personnel Eric Crawford, Gilman was fired by the Canucks in July 2015. It marked the end of a seven-year run in which he proved instrumental in the handling of Vancouver’s salary cap, most notably during the club’s run to the Stanley Cup final in 2011.
Prior to his dismissal, Gilman forged a reputation as one of the league’s sharpest financial minds, though the “capologist” label is one he disliked. There was a certain pigeonholing that came along with it. While the perception often worked in his favor – folks around the league respected his ability to value players, negotiate contracts and navigate CBA complexities – it also limited the scope of his executive ability. He was pegged as a numbers guy, one banging on a calculator in a widowless room in the back office."

So another guy with the cap in mind, never played hockey and has been considered a numbers guy. He's also had pretty much every role you can imagine in a NHL front office before.
I like what we got going on here.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks fan here. He is absolutely loved in Vancouver. When Gillis was fired, a lot of us hoped he'd step into the GM role. Look at any poll on our forum for who the next GM should be, Gilman's still in the convo.

He's an extremely cerebral guy, integral to the 2011 run. He know's the CBA inside-out, which is why the league had him design the rules for the expansion draft himself. He always looks for areas they can exploit, it's how he was able to be a few million dollars over the cap when the 2011 playoffs rolled around to ice the best Canucks team in history. He created a cap structure that got players to buy in at smaller cap hits to build a better team. He was instrumental on the initial purchase and creation of our own farm team, which made it to the Calder Cup in it's second year with him as GM. He looked for every competitive edge, brought in sleep doctors due to our horrible travel schedule. Old, dumb talking heads made fun of it, but we don't have any of these things now and we're worse for it.

He does a weekly hit on the radio here on Wednesdays and he's a great listen. I'd try to find a clip more relevant to Leafs fan, but this is the first one I found and I'm in a rush to go to work:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Canucks fan here. He is absolutely loved in Vancouver. When Gillis was fired, a lot of us hoped he'd step into the GM role. Look at any poll on our forum for who the next GM should be, Gilman's still in the convo.

He's an extremely cerebral guy, integral to the 2011 run. He know's the CBA inside-out, which is why the league had him design the rules for the expansion draft himself. He always looks for areas they can exploit, it's how he was able to be a few million dollars over the cap when the 2011 playoffs rolled around to ice the best Canucks team in history. He created a cap structure that got players to buy in at smaller cap hits to build a better team. He was instrumental on the initial purchase and creation of our own farm team, which made it to the Calder Cup in it's second year with him as GM. He looked for every competitive edge, brought in sleep doctors due to our horrible travel schedule. Old, dumb talking heads made fun of it, but we don't have any of these things now and we're worse for it.

He does a weekly hit on the radio here on Wednesdays and he's a great listen. I'd try to find a clip more relevant to Leafs fan, but this is the first one I found and I'm in a rush to go to work:

It was surprising to see even after he was fired, he stuck around and was all over Vancouver. Hoping he can help with our contract talks when our guys need to be signed.

Reactions: iSophagus

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Seems like the type of hire I expected. Unemployed for years, desperate to get back in the league and willing to work for a young GM with no reputation in the league.

The good thing is it sounds like he'll have Dubas' old role which means he'll have very little to no impact on the organization.

Unimpressive hire though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seems like the type of hire I expected. Unemployed for years, desperate to get back in the league and willing to work for a young GM with no reputation in the league.

The good thing is it sounds like he'll have Dubas' old role which means he'll have very little to no impact on the organization.

If only CyNick had been consulted for the right people to hire. Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

How does "was hired by the league" translate to unemployed in any interpretation of the statement.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
Very intriguing, I had no idea Gilman was involved with the expansion draft. The following quote from McPhee in the Athletic article leaves me very optimistic about this hiring.

“Laurence was instrumental in the development of our strategy,” McPhee told The Athletic. “He emphasized the value of our leverage, and how to use it to maximize a harvest of players, prospects, and draft picks.”

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If only CyNick had been consulted for the right people to hire. Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing you like the hire? I would recommend providing some reasons you are happy with the move rather than sarcastic comments. Doesn't help evolve the conversation, friend.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

:ha: :faceplam

Please tell us more about this person you've never heard of.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Was trying to find out more about the guy. This was a decent article from the Athletic a year ago about him.
Laurence Gilman eager to get back into NHL, but waiting for...

Sorry if it's blocked but here's a quote from the article.
"Along with fellow assistant GM Lorne Henning and director of player personnel Eric Crawford, Gilman was fired by the Canucks in July 2015. It marked the end of a seven-year run in which he proved instrumental in the handling of Vancouver’s salary cap, most notably during the club’s run to the Stanley Cup final in 2011.
Prior to his dismissal, Gilman forged a reputation as one of the league’s sharpest financial minds, though the “capologist” label is one he disliked. There was a certain pigeonholing that came along with it. While the perception often worked in his favor – folks around the league respected his ability to value players, negotiate contracts and navigate CBA complexities – it also limited the scope of his executive ability. He was pegged as a numbers guy, one banging on a calculator in a widowless room in the back office."

So another guy with the cap in mind, never played hockey and has been considered a numbers guy. He's also had pretty much every role you can imagine in a NHL front office before.
Nice. Thanks for the quote.

Reactions: pacman25

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Laurence Gilman was unemployed for less than 1 year, which is below usual for an executive.

He was being courted by CAR for an AGM role and was a candidate in becoming the new ECHL Commissioner.

Yet @The CyNick claims he’s been unemployed for years and this was his only option.

So much for being an insider.

Let’s see what @93LEAFS has to say about the hiring

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Very intriguing, I had no idea Gilman was involved with the expansion draft. The following quote from McPhee in the Athletic article leaves me very optimistic about this hiring.

“Laurence was instrumental in the development of our strategy,” McPhee told The Athletic. “He emphasized the value of our leverage, and how to use it to maximize a harvest of players, prospects, and draft picks.”

How often do you hear people say negative things about people in hockey?

"Oh JFJ, he's a tire fire of a negotiator, would never hire him"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad