Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Blue Jackets, October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I like the changes other than Timashov. I think he's more effective on the 4th line than Petan.

Don’t understand these comments. Petan was much better in the pre season than Timashov. And I like Timo and am pulling for him.

But I honestly find it fascinating how we can all watch the same players play in the same game and yet have such different opinions. To me there is no comparison between Petan Spezza Goat versus last nights line. Guess my opinion will be tested soon enough.

Last edited:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Don’t understand these comments. Petan was much better in the pre season than Timashov. And I like Timo and am pulling for him.

But I honestly find it fascinating how we can all watch the same players play in the same game and yet have such different opinions. To me there is no comparison between Petan Spezza Goat versus last nights line. Guess my opinion will be tested soon enough.

We don't need Petan. He's second rate offense who can make the top 6 on lottery teams. (edit- Actually even this is doubtful)

Timashov is dialed into a defensive first game. Nhl calibre back check every game he's played.

1 assist and 4 hits in 8 minutes. We'll be lucky to get 4 hits from Petan over a full season.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Its also uh, interesthang to see a real solid rocky hard group (tortorella) vs our speedy talented group. Columbus is treal physical and they play hard on the body and bones. We might get some guys injured, but it don't matter. We have so much firepower to the future. Interesthang to see the score though, we might win like 2-5. We that fantastico right now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Bruins one actually matters.

The Habs are not our competition for home ice.

It ended up being pretty close last year although that was because the Leafs played like shit down the stretch and for much of December and January.

This year, you're right. I think they end up winning the President's Trophy or get pretty close to it. 110 ish points or so.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We don't need Petan. He's second rate offense who can make the top 6 on lottery teams. (edit- Actually even this is doubtful)

Timashov is dialed into a defensive first game. Nhl calibre back check every game he's played.

1 assist and 4 hits in 8 minutes. We'll be lucky to get 4 hits from Petan over a full season.

Timashov had the team's 2nd worse possession numbers against Ottawa, FYI. Yeah, he is going full Soshnikov to prove his worth. But where is Soshnikov today?

I will be interested in seeing what the possession numbers are tonight for Petan and Spezza.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I dont mind the changes. Keeps guys fresh and extends the training camp.... if anything he is given Spezza /petan their due

My outside point of view with no knowledge thinks Babcock didn't like how Spezza was "going through the motions" in practice and preseason. Though he is a vet, I think he wanted him to compete for the spot.

It's the season now, Spezza will be doing the little things. I expect a goal and PP2 time at some point.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Timashov had the team's 2nd worse possession numbers against Ottawa, FYI. Yeah, he is going full Soshnikov to prove his worth. But where is Soshnikov today?

I will be interested in seeing what the possession numbers are tonight for Petan and Spezza.
Who was number 1?
I mean the context kinda sucks... in a 10-0 game,you will still have a bottom 2 possession number player on your team. Lol how does it compare to average?

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
I really hope we’re not another 6-3 game type of team again. Babcock will try to adjust defence by sacrificing offence and our PP will suffer.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I kinda like the changes. Not that anyone coming out was not good in the first game, but I'd like to see more of the players going in too to see how they match up to their competition.
But at the end of the day, these guys are all pretty competent 4th liners/6th defensemen so shuffling the deck is no biggie.
If they took out Sandin or Mikheyev or Moore I would not be happy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
especially given the way the standings work now; divisional games are of paramount importance; if you win in regulation not only do you get 2 points but deny your divisional rival of any points and that is one game off the boards of the total 82 game schedule.

league should mandate that when divisional rivals play each other those games should not be back to back and if they have to be then both teams should be on back to back.

Good idea but impossible with all the other demands teams make, like playing Saturday night, and building availability, etc.

Boston plays 9 b2b, the Leafs play 14 with 4 this month, while others teams play more - I haven’t verified this but I’ve heard as many as 20.

That’s crazy.

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hmm i wanted to se more of Tima. Maby later or was he send down?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Who was number 1?
I mean the context kinda sucks... in a 10-0 game,you will still have a bottom 2 possession number player on your team. Lol how does it compare to average?

Shore was worst by a bit. The whole line was the worst on the team. at under 50 CF. Top two lines were in the middle around 60 or so and the Kerfoot line was at the top, with Kerfoot being the best on the team in CF. That is good news to start the season, really, as Kerfoot's line were saddled with 66% Dzone starts and still came out of the game +1.

Yes, Kerfoot isn't a bull in a china shop like Kadri was for us, but man, does his line of him, Mikheyev and Moore hold onto the puck like glue.

Last edited:

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I agree. This time of year Freddie should get both if he wants them. Get him hot and on a roll. But if not I'd like to see Hutch get CBJ and Freddie get MTL.

Freddy starts tonight, which means....oh it doesnt mean anything, he will play both games because everyone said the whole summer Freddy needs to play less, so he will play him like 80 games because he is Babcock.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They will be rotating depth players for a little while.

Petan and Timashov, Spezza and Shore, Holl and Marincin.

If someone comes out and works hard and wins a starting job, they might get themselves out of a rotation.

That is what I think this early rotation is all about of players earning their starting spots. IMO

Reactions: kb

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Hoping Nylander pots one tonight and gets that monkey off his back early, then it'll be onwards and upwards the rest of the way.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Wonder how much involvement Dubas has in this?

A coach generally after a win doesn't like to change a winning line-up.

Perhaps this is only a 1 week thing so everyone gets into the new season and then after this game we will see a guy like Holl sit out regularly.
Babcock stated before the game on Wednesday that Spezza would play tonight.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I really hope we’re not another 6-3 game type of team again. Babcock will try to adjust defence by sacrificing offence and our PP will suffer.

We wouldn't of been last game. Andersen just struggled like he has always done at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hoping Nylander pots one tonight and gets that monkey off his back early, then it'll be onwards and upwards the rest of the way.

For the first game I thought Matthews line was good.
It wasn't great, but again 1st. game.
I thought Mikheyev and Moore really powered the Kerfoot line. If they had a Matthews or Tavares as center probably a decent second line today, and perhaps could grow into a 1st. line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad