Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Blue Jackets, October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So, since Spezza and Petan are playing on the 4th line who's going to be taking the bulk of the DZS now? The Tavares line?

Because I'm not comfortable with that 4th line doing it now if thats the personnel on it

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Wonder how much involvement Dubas has in this?

A coach generally after a win doesn't like to change a winning line-up.

Perhaps this is only a 1 week thing so everyone gets into the new season and then after this game we will see a guy like Holl sit out regularly.

Babcock was quite clear about his intentions with the bubble players. He has said multiple times he will be rotating players for the early part of the season. It seems like he's just executing his plan. There's no need for passive-aggressive Dubas smearing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock was quite clear about his intentions with the bubble players. He has said multiple times he will be rotating players for the early part of the season. It seems like he's just executing his plan. There's no need for passive-aggressive Dubas smearing.

During the game yesterday, they mentioned the Spezza healthy scratch and said the it was not only Babs decision but Dubas was also fully on board with that.

So I'm asking how much input does Dubas have in who is dressed or not?

Last year Holl dressed for only a handful of games all years, and played only when there was an injury replacement.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Holl in for Marincin I'm fine with. Really don't think Holl is any worse, and he's a righty.
Spezza in for Shore should be constant. Spezza brings more to the table than Shore does. I know Spezza didn't play last night...but did anyone notice Shore? No points, no shots on goal, no hits. If you're going to be on the 4th line bring something. Timashov had 4 hits, and an assist. The points aren't important for a 4th liner, but you have to bring something. If face-offs is the thing you bring (Shore)...Spezza is one of the best in the dots...so that's a silly excuse.
And lastly I don't like Timashov out for Petan. Petan had a fine preseason, but Timashov is clearly embracing the role of what he's gotta do on the 4th line. Good luck seeing 4 hits from Petan.
And of a side note: besides sitting Spezza the last 2 preseason games then claiming he needs PK practice (riddle me that)...how is the PK a thing against Ottawa and then Friday we remove Timashov and Shore (2 guys used for PK), and install Petan and Spezza (1 who doesn't PK and one who less than 24 hours ago "wasnt ready")
Babs got me like :huh:

Reactions: Cpt Maple Leaf

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
During the game yesterday, they mentioned the Spezza healthy scratch and said the it was not only Babs decision but Dubas was also fully on board with that.

Last year Holl dressed for only a handful of games all years, and played only when there was an injury replacement.
Just a media move. Dubas isn't about to throw shade at his coach in the media. That was a Babs move and Dubas had no choice but to say he's on board with his coach with cameras and mics on him. Says anything different the Sheldon Keefe articles are on the front page of the Toronto Star this morning

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So, since Spezza and Petan are playing on the 4th line who's going to be taking the bulk of the DZS now? The Tavares line?

Because I'm not comfortable with that 4th line doing it now if thats the personnel on it

Kerfoot's line did 66% DZs and produced the best possession numbers on the team against Ottawa.

Or is suggesting Kerfoot might be good against the narrative?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Wonder how much involvement Dubas has in this?

A coach generally after a win doesn't like to change a winning line-up.

Perhaps this is only a 1 week thing so everyone gets into the new season and then after this game we will see a guy like Holl sit out regularly.

It's the bottom pairings and 4th line. It's not a drastic change.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kerfoot's line did 66% DZs and produced the best possession numbers on the team against Ottawa.

Or is suggesting Kerfoot might be good against the narrative?

If he can do it that would solve a lot of problems, Tavares and Matthews not starting in the NZ or OZ is just a waste of offensive talent

I'd be careful with Kerfoot though (early in the season anyway) since he hasn't played a ton of center and he's trying to find his way in that position, I wouldn't want to tank the kids confidence

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

I mean what is that exactly? No gm should or (I don't even beleave this type of dirt) is trea, I mean real. It can't be. Babcock and his coaches make the choices no? Everybody else sucka team does that, always had. I mean in the old days they might have had some dirt where a real big kahuna from the upstairs calls a phonecall and says y'all better dress our most talented sucka with the money, or y'all is getting shot. But nowadays.... it's a sport. Dubas can't understand the sport even, he never played or nuthin. Babcock should be making these decisions one hunned. :percent: :hunned: :one: :hunnid: :hundred: :real: :Real:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Also uh, we finna destroy tortorella's other club with this hit squad of ours. Now even spezza gets to score so that'll be fun. :celebration: :birthday: :happy birthday: :sun: :rise: :down: :up: :thumbs: :thumb up: :jeesus:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Besides a couple of players, I do need to get more acquainted with CBJ's roster.

Goalies:
JOONAS KORPISALO
ELVIS MERZLIKINS

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We'll be challenged physically in this one - will be interesting to see how Petan and the team handle it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Holl in for Marincin I'm fine with. Really don't think Holl is any worse, and he's a righty.
Spezza in for Shore should be constant. Spezza brings more to the table than Shore does. I know Spezza didn't play last night...but did anyone notice Shore? No points, no shots on goal, no hits. If you're going to be on the 4th line bring something. Timashov had 4 hits, and an assist. The points aren't important for a 4th liner, but you have to bring something. If face-offs is the thing you bring (Shore)...Spezza is one of the best in the dots...so that's a silly excuse.
And lastly I don't like Timashov out for Petan. Petan had a fine preseason, but Timashov is clearly embracing the role of what he's gotta do on the 4th line. Good luck seeing 4 hits from Petan.
And of a side note: besides sitting Spezza the last 2 preseason games then claiming he needs PK practice (riddle me that)...how is the PK a thing against Ottawa and then Friday we remove Timashov and Shore (2 guys used for PK), and install Petan and Spezza (1 who doesn't PK and one who less than 24 hours ago "wasnt ready")
Babs got me like :huh:

Babcock prefaced Spezza scratching saying Shore wins face-offs but shore wasn’t as good last night

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Besides a couple of players, I do need to get more acquainted with CBJ's roster.

Goalies:
JOONAS KORPISALO
ELVIS MERZLIKINS

Goalies are unproven. Otherwise, tons of depth with some high end players, but lacking that game-breaking talent on offense.

They'll be a good test. We play like we did yesterday, we lose tomorrow. We stop making ridiculous mistakes and the goalie makes the necessary saves, then we win.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We'll be challenged physically in this one - will be interesting to see how Petan and the team handle it.

Putting Petan in was a puzzling one to me. Timashov played well last night and outperformed Petan all preseason. I do not see why Petan enters this conversation after clearing waivers and being able to move up and down as we need him.

I'm taking as long of a look as possible at Timashov before Hyman comes back and possibly forces him out of the lineup.

Reactions: OddyOh and Kurtz

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Dubas has 13.628% say in who plays or sits.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Goalies are unproven. Otherwise, tons of depth with some high end players, but lacking that game-breaking talent on offense.

They'll be a good test. We play like we did yesterday, we lose tomorrow. We stop making ridiculous mistakes and the goalie makes the necessary saves, then we win.

Very few games dont have stupid mistakes. Not sure where this, "60 minutes of perfect hockey" everyone has in their mind came from, but it just doesnt happen.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Very few games dont have stupid mistakes. Not sure where this, "60 minutes of perfect hockey" everyone has in their mind came from, but it just doesnt happen.

Fine, stop making as many ridiculous mistakes. They should definitely be capable of doing that. Otherwise we are not making the playoffs. Pretty much any team besides Ottawa would have capitalized on those mistakes and won that game.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
I figured the backup would get this one.

Never really understood Babcock's goalie decisions. He always goes with Andersen on the front end of a back to back which I don't get. If you're playing a weaker team on the front end wouldn't you want to save your #1 guy for the second game? Not sure what the difference is between Columbus and the Habs as far as superiority but I would save Andersen for the Habs.

Reactions: supermann_98

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Every game will remove nagging "issues" that the fan base gets focussed on. The Captaincy issue for example...is long gone only 24 hours since it was settled. The Buttockgate" scandal seems like a hazy drunken night long ago, so too will the Spezza slight. and outrage over the Liljegren demotion and Timashov being pulled from the lineup.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Allow me to post my first regular season rant. It effing sucks that Leafs have a back to back with a 2nd game against divisional rival in a 4 point game. Absolutely STUPID whoever made the schedule

My thoughts exactly!

WTF does a tired Leafs team always face a fresh Habs team, NOT FAIR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad