Post-Game Talk: Mallard

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Every game you say the same thing and smugly shit on those who disagree with you. Advanced stats are helpful and I realize you live and die by them. But you crapped on me and others last year when we thought the team was good early on and now you’re shitting on us when we stink. Teams don’t lose all the time when they’re playing well and you seem to feel they are in more games than not. They have severe issues finishing, getting second and third chances, and breaking down at the worst times.
Yea who cares about dominating play and scoring chances, timely goals and timely saves win cups!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Felt this was appropriate…

C92A7260-E401-4F57-B3E1-4A465F18F824.gif

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Laf has a 2 point game and the kids were the team's best forwards the night before, so Gallant punishes Laf with only 13 mins of ice time...

How are these kids supposed to develop like this.

And the team loses to Gordon Bombay's district 5 pee wee team...

Fire clown Gallant already.
@ me if you wanna take a shot at my team my dude.

Send Kakko to me and I'll teach him the triple deke if he doesn't wanna shoot

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
One positive I take away is Schneider getting a couple goals back to back. Nice to have a D contribute offensively outside of Fox (even if one of his goals were fluky) But I commend him for keeping it simple and just get it through traffic and on net.

I hope he starts shooting more, he actually has a decently heavy shot that we really haven't seen yet.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Not for nothing but I'm tired of hearing about posts and bad luck. Shots that hit a post are not counted as SOG, because they're not on F'N goal. Another inch and it hits the glass behind the net.

20 games in, it's a trend. Set up the bullseye's in the corner and have these dudes snipe them. It's clear this whole entire team struggles to finish. Maybe we only practice setting up Mika for PP one timers..

And as for the PP. Up against the worst PK in the league, PP1 gets another 5 mins of ice time with no goals. PP2 with 1. 1 minute. We are now 13th in the league on the PP. There are nights where it just doesn't work. You can't keep bashing the square peg into the round hole.

PP1 all had at least 6 mins more ice time than any other forward. If you're going to ride these guys and kill them the first quarter of the year can we at least win the f'n game??

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
What’s there to talk about? Halak is as bad of a Rangers netminder as I can remember. Completely unreliable and doesn’t know how to steal a win for his team. It’s not in his blood.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Not for nothing but I'm tired of hearing about posts and bad luck. Shots that hit a post are not counted as SOG, because they're not on F'N goal. Another inch and it hits the glass behind the net.

20 games in, it's a trend. Set up the bullseye's in the corner and have these dudes snipe them. It's clear this whole entire team struggles to finish. Maybe we only practice setting up Mika for PP one timers..

And as for the PP. Up against the worst PK in the league, PP1 gets another 5 mins of ice time with no goals. PP2 with 1. 1 minute. We are now 13th in the league on the PP. There are nights where it just doesn't work. You can't keep bashing the square peg into the round hole.

PP1 all had at least 6 mins more ice time than any other forward. If you're going to ride these guys and kill them the first quarter of the year can we at least win the f'n game??
Maybe we are becoming predictable? Maybe we aren’t quite getting the dirty goals and instead trying to be perfect. I think we have the size to create more havoc and win more battles in front. I think we gotta start getting rebound goals, screenshots. It’s not about trying to hit corners but score the unglamorous way. I bet if someone did a simple stat like what’s our record when we score a rebound vs not it would be clear how we need to play.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
Can't forget the nervously tapping his fingers on the table
We end up watching his interviews at my shop, and he's been nicknamed "tappy hands".

Re: This team -

The Gallant shine is really wearing off. I've sided with him a lot, but at this point. Still, the fault isn't on him alone. Teams know to keep us on the perimeter, because we don't have players who like to be in the paint.

Not only that, while we have a bunch of really talented playmakers, we lack finishers. I don't really see us solving this problem with our current roster.

Reactions: leetch99

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Maybe we are becoming predictable? Maybe we aren’t quite getting the dirty goals and instead trying to be perfect. I think we have the size to create more havoc and win more battles in front. I think we gotta start getting rebound goals, screenshots. It’s not about trying to hit corners but score the unglamorous way. I bet if someone did a simple stat like what’s our record when we score a rebound vs not it would be clear how we need to play.

Last night Fox did a couple of shake n bakes on a shift that totally threw off the ducks, brings it down low, softly lays it onto the front porch of the net and I swear all 2-3 of our forwards didn't even have a stick on the ice. When I saw what was developing it was a prime crash the net/jam play. I don't even know if any of them were even looking at the puck lol. In the GDT I was saying to get our forwards a shovel. That was very frustrating - it's like if it ain't pretty, they don't want it. lol

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we learned anything from this year and last year its that advanced stats don't mean jack. Last year we were dogs analytically and winning, this year the opposite. Playoffs are even worse, hockey isn't baseball, too many variables included to number wins.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
No over reaction, just observations:
-Miller and Trouba are stinking up the ice
-Zib and Panarin need to be our best forwards and right now, they are bad.
-Even Benoit can't fix Halak
-Gibson was great.
-6 f***ing posts
-the kids were good. not worried
-Fox is Cerebro

Reactions: leetch99

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I think Kakko’s joke of an ability to not Finish is contagious. The guy needs 15 open nets/breakaways/perfect deflections to get 1 measly goal. He’s the model xGF guy that our team has learned to perfectly emulate this season
Really? Not Kreider and Panarin floating as if they’re in a k hole the entire season? Kakko is the guy we choose to go after ?

The veteran leadership is a joke and as a result the inmates run the asylum. Constantly not playing hard, not shooting the puck. The tone starts from the top.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
If we learned anything from this year and last year its that advanced stats don't mean jack. Last year we were dogs analytically and winning, this year the opposite. Playoffs are even worse, hockey isn't baseball, too many variables included to number wins.
There’s a lot more qualitative variables too.

The speed at which you execute (shooting if the goalie is square or not, if there is traffic in front) which is going to affect shooting percentage

Will to compete, be physical, etc. some variables can not be measured with numbers but do affect the numbers themselves.

It’s why I whole heartedly disagree with the bad luck theory. At base, admit you’re wrong at least halfway and search why (a good tip for everything in life)

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The bad luck theory implies they don’t need to change a thing and results will come. Does anyone who watches this team really think that? The bad luck theory is an over-reliance on advanced stats.

What am I seeing?

The kids need to learn how to finish.
The vets need to get their heads out of their asses and stop looking so far ahead to the playoffs.
The coaches need to learn how to regain control of the room in year two.

I know you can’t spreadsheet your way to those conclusions and how to fix them, but it’s what I see.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
"Good teams don't lose games like this" is such a useless platitude.

Good teams lose all kinds of games.
We're not a good team, so it's all moot anyway.

The bad luck theory implies they don’t need to change a thing and results will come. Does anyone who watches this team really think that? The bad luck theory is an over-reliance on advanced stats.

What am I seeing?

The vets need to get their heads out of their asses and stop looking so far ahead to the playoffs.

I know you can’t spreadsheet your way to those conclusions and how to fix them, but it’s what I see.
Yes. People really do think that. Or realize it but continue to keep up appearances.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Halak stinks

Larry mentioned it last night but tragic they gave this guy a NMC to convince him to sign
Yeah they clearly identified him as their target and wanted him. It was a decent bet, he’s been very good up until last season which you could explain away as him being on a bad team. Idk tho, it seems like the wheels are off. Even when he’s making saves he always looks like he’s behind the play and just getting lucky. He’s in late stage Biron level for me where I’m holding my breath every time a shot is going at him and I expect it to basically always go in. He just simply hasn’t been anywhere even good enough. He’s not getting goal support but he’s not playing well either.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

What am I seeing?

Or if one of the 5 posts bounces differently, or Gibson misses one of the insane saves he made, or Halak lets in one less muffin the Rangers get 1+ points.

They had some defensive lapses last night but no worse than the Kings game.

Last night they created a SHIT load of offensive chances. Posts, Gibson, and Rangers misses led to a lack of conversion and 0 points.

Against LA they "finished" including a pop fly off of Doughty's skate and got 2 points.

This randomness massively influences people's perspective about how well a team is playing and how likely they are to get the next goal.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
How long before teams just do what Tampa did and matchup against the kid line 5v5 and belly laugh at the ziba and bread lines struggle against the 4th line/3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad