Malkin staying in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Seamus O' Toole said:
as long as the IIHF & RHF don't have a deal ... he probably won't come over until the end of HIS contract IN Russia, sometime in 2008

Then he will be back in the draft. The pens lose his rights some time in 2007 I believe.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Malkin is young. Of course it would be natural for him to have this "tug-of-war" of either screwing his contract with his hometown team and making some money in the best league in the world OR staying and helping out his team for ONE more year. Just one.

There's more involved in Russia when it comes to hometown grown players. For instance, soccer players aren't used to move to European teams until they reach the age of approximately 21-22 (and that's considered young). Sometimes it's possible for players like Cristiano Ronaldo or Robben to be moved at 17-18 - but for a compensation of 10 million dollars!! What you all here are suggesting would be a smart situation is one of the most promising 19-year olds in the sport defying his contract for a compensation of meager $400,000 (or none at all, considering that the Russians didn't sign the IIHF agreement). Hell, when Malkin crosses the ocean NEXT year at the age of 20 it'd still look wrong.

Well, things don't work that way. And shouldn't work that way. NHL organizations like Pittsburgh Penguins aren't used to develop players from the time they've stepped onto the ice. Russian teams ARE. Take it easy on calling people idiots just because your perspective on the matter is so irreversibly skewed.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Epsilon said:
The Penguins are going to be happy 6 years from now when Malkin is still their property instead of UFA age, and he entered the league as an impact player because he got an extra year of development.

IMO, Malkin would have been more of an impact player than Crosby this year. That logic goes out the window. I don't think you can spin this positively. A potentially selfish move on Malkin's part. Craig Patrick wanted him over for a reason.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
EroCaps said:
IMO, Malkin would have been more of an impact player than Crosby this year. That logic goes out the window. I don't think you can spin this positively. A potentially selfish move on Malkin's part. Craig Patrick wanted him over for a reason.

Crosby would still be the first-line center. Crosby would be the guy lining up next to Mario. Crosby would be the guy making the greater impact.

Nothing wrong with being second banana on this dynamic duo, however.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
EroCaps said:
And whatever Craig Patrick says should be the law, eh?

I wonder who is really selfish here. You all concentrate on the financial side of things too much because you think that it's all young spoiled Russians ever care about. Well, I won't lie to you - money is indeed important. It's a business and with the complexity of the contract agreements in the NHL, players from overseas do think quite a lot about getting the best deal possible. However, they just pass the task to their agents.

Malkin has other motives as well.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I love it how people take a comment probably made in good jest and then make a really hasty and potentially inaccurate judgement shortly afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad