Malkin gets 2 embellishment penalties in one game

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
1st call was not embellishment...it was unsportsmanlike conduct for getting in the face of the dude that tripped him.

The actual embellishment call was an absolute joke...Malkin doesn't dive

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The first one was crap and the second one was complete and utter horse****.

The refs were an embarrassment tonight all-around. They had no control over anything and called the most random things.

edit: They changed the call.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Malkin is a known diver who has certainly earned his reputation, but neither was a dive.

Malkin112*

they change it

08:24 PIT Evgeni Malkin Embellishment against Scottie Upshall
10:05 PIT Evgeni Malkin Embellishment

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Neutral fan here. Neither were dives. The last was an even up call.

Malkin makes people look stupid so they trip him. They tripped him so much they had to do a coincidental call.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
*shrugs* We pretty much go into games now expecting things like this from the refs. They have been atrocious in Pens' games for a couple of months now. Media has commented on it, fans. So nothing to see here, merely the same old same old.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
The threshold they have for embellishment calls in their need to even it up nicely these days has gotten ridiculously low.
It's one thing, if they judge it a dive, but these double calls are getting stupid. If you do call a trip on that, no way is it embellishment to just, you know, trip.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
The threshold they have for embellishment calls in their need to even it up nicely these days has gotten ridiculously low.
It's one thing, if they judge it a dive, but these double calls are getting stupid. If you do call a trip on that, no way is it embellishment to just, you know, trip.

excellent post...couldn't agree more...if it's a trip...how can it be embellishment?
It's either a foul or it isn't...if there is "embellishment"...why is there a foul called too?

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
excellent post...couldn't agree more...if it's a trip...how can it be embellishment?
It's either a foul or it isn't...if there is "embellishment"...why is there a foul called too?

Player A gets his stick caught in player B's skates. Player B falls over.

Player A gets his stick caught in player B's skates. Player B throws his arm out and stick away as he falls over and then rolls on the ice after he falls over.

Both involve a trip, one involves someone going overboard trying to sell it, a.k.a. embellishment.

*Disclaimer: I am not making any judgment on the calls in tonight's game*

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

because the player who gets tripped draws attention to the foul by diving. You can logically have both on the same play. Didn't see the first, but the second was not a dive.

BurghThang

Dec 14, 2013
I have seen Malkin dive before for sure. He isn't an egregious one near the top of the list but he has his place on there.

I'll adjust my statement by admitting every player probably knows when he feels a stick in his skates he has a chance to get a call. That being said, in my 8 years of watching Malkin play I have seen him power through WAYYYY more potential fouls than most

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Player A gets his stick caught in player B's skates. Player B falls over.

Player A gets his stick caught in player B's skates. Player B throws his arm out and stick away as he falls over and then rolls on the ice after he falls over.

Both involve a trip, one involves someone going overboard trying to sell it, a.k.a. embellishment.

*Disclaimer: I am not making any judgment on the calls in tonight's game*

the only difference I got from this is that the first B player has better acting skills than the second B player.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I'll adjust my statement by admitting every player probably knows when he feels a stick in his skates he has a chance to get a call. That being said, in my 8 years of watching Malkin play I have seen him power through WAYYYY more potential fouls than most

Which is great but has nothing to do with diving. Every player powers through fouls and a lot of players (maybe the majority) dive and embellish.

Personally I don't think it is that bad, but most teams have 2-3 guys you can ID as a diver. Malkin isn't one I would point out but he has dove a few times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad