Proposal: Malkin for PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Malkin was great last year! Wtf, this is the most preemptive idiocy I can imagine. Malkin, just last season, put the Pens on his shoulders and carried them into the playoffs.

Malkin made Brian Rust a ppg player. Brian frikin Rust.

If the Penguins catered to Malkin the way they do Crosby, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don’t see this going well for me, but what the hell.

For anyone keeping an eye on the situation in Columbus, it is increasingly clear that PLD wants out. Recent comments by Tortorella (to no one’s surprise) have pushed the issue into one where I feel a trade is relatively imminent. It has been reported that CBJ was targeting Suzuki or Romanov from Montreal, which suggests they value youth, but looking at their team I do not think that is a necessity. They do not really have any young rising star, while Jones and Werenski are in their primes right now.

On our side, Malkin has looked bad the first two games, and has just a couple more years on his contract. Our team desperately needs to play faster and harder, and 71 is not that right now and may never be again. But he’s still a superstar - or at least considered as one around the league, for now.

I propose trading Malkin, and even a first round pick if that moves the needle, for PLD. I do not think we downgrade to any meaningful extent right now, and we greatly extend our window. Guentzel, Dubois, Marino, and Jarry is our core moving forwards for the next decade, strengthened into a very serious contender by Crosby, Zucker, Rust, Kapanen, Letang, and Dumoulin for the next few years.

If Columbus does not accept it, and manages to find a younger piece, then no skin off our backs. But we should put Malkin on the table. If they cannot get a Suzuki - which I think is likely - they may very well try to go for it with Malkin, Jones, and Werenski.

Just an idea. Unlikely to happen given Malkin’s NMC.

#1 He has a full NMC.
#2 His contract would be basically impossible to move during this covid cap economy.
#3 I’d bet a huge amount of money that if Malkin was forced by the org into voiding his NMC he’d just go back to Russia and play in the KHL.

Malkin will most likely play all his games in the NHL with Pittsburgh.

Close thread.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Malkin was great last year! Wtf, this is the most preemptive idiocy I can imagine. Malkin, just last season, put the Pens on his shoulders and carried them into the playoffs.
Last year he led the league in 5v5 p60. The year before, the down year the D that played the most with him was Jack Johnson. He’ll pick it up. The top 4 D will stabilize. Bottom 6 looks better than expected. Jarry is the main worry, but it’s only been 2 games which is only 3 games in a regular regular season.

sorry wrong thread. Edit—close or preferably nuke thread.

Reactions: Pensfan891

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Very concerning. 1 assist in last 7 games. 3 breakaways in last 3 minutes, 0 shots on net. I am not sure if I am more concerned with Geno or Letang. At this point in their careers you have to wonder if they are washed up or if it is just a few bad games. I mean, the end will have to come at some point. And Sid too.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
They should swap Zucker and Guentzel on the top 2 lines. Zucker played well with Sid last year and Guentzel was a revelation with Geno last year. It is an obvious change but my guess is Sullivan is reluctant to do it out of fear of pissing off Sid. Grow some balls Sully!

Reactions: bganch17

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
They should swap Zucker and Guentzel on the top 2 lines. Zucker played well with Sid last year and Guentzel was a revelation with Geno last year. It is an obvious change but my guess is Sullivan is reluctant to do it out of fear of pissing off Sid. Grow some balls Sully!
Well, I don´t disagree, but Zucker or Guentzel or prime Gretzky on his wing, that doesn´t change the fact that he had 3 glorious chances and missed the net on all of them. Or that he looks completely gassed out there every shift. It´s really bad. And he is not our only superstar showing these signs.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Malkin made Brian Rust a ppg player. Brian frikin Rust.

If the Penguins catered to Malkin the way they do Crosby, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

They need to switch Zucker and Guenzel. I'm not seeing Rust being Malkin's scorer this year (so far) and Zucker actually plays a style that lines up better with Crosby.

I'm so confused why Sully doesn't see that.

As for the trade conversation, we've been having these for over 5 years, why will it get any less as Malkin gets older?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They need to switch Zucker and Guenzel. I'm not seeing Rust being Malkin's scorer this year (so far) and Zucker actually plays a style that lines up better with Crosby.

I'm so confused why Sully doesn't see that.

As for the trade conversation, we've been having these for over 5 years, why will it get any less as Malkin gets older?
Malkin is playing like he's not capable of being an NHL player right now. I think the swap for Zucker & Guentzel is something a lot of people here (myself included) want to see happen, but I don't think they'd do it until Kapanen is on the roster and they see what the proper "top 6" looks like, even then, I don't think Sullivan has the bollocks to make that swap because he's more than likely scared to piss Crosby off.

It's why I hope JR goes after Roslovic, it pushes a lot of skill down and really starts to shore up depth.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think you should trade Geno unless he wants out, you also risk making Sid say "**** this" and leave too.

These two guys brought the franchise back from the dead and led them to 3 Cups, pretty much dragging them to 2 of those. We're going to live and die by them, and the pieces we can surround them with. They still have good hockey left in them, and their contracts aren't exactly anchors with the way the cap has increased since they signed them. They deserve to retire here if they want to.

We always knew this was coming as they got older, now we'll likely have to watch the Penguins descent into the basement. Trading Malkin isn't going to prevent that from happening.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I know I don't 'belong' here. But Crosby and Malkin have been my favourite duo since they came in to league. I've watched their entire career unfold beneath my eyes. Generational talents. You guys are so lucky to have been able to watch them be elite for so many years.

Geno is 34, Sid is 33. Geno came in at 20, Sid was 19 (turned 19 couple months before debut).

About 14 years pretty much. What a run they had though, eh.

Sad to think they're closer to on their way out.

Anyway, wish y'all the best this season hope you guys can get a spot. Would hate to see the Flyers in there instead of y'all.

Oh...and yah, don't trade Malkin. He'll turn it around.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This idea is a borderline impossibility. Geno's not going to Columbus for multiple reasons. It's unsure whether management would even consider it after Sid's reaction last time around. It's unsure whether we're the sort of place PLD wants to commit to. There's multiple reasons why Columbus aren't trading him here.

That said, if it were possible then, based on on-ice reasons alone, you do it and run away laughing. Because of course you do 34 year old 1C for 22 year old 1C every time. It would suck in terms of emotional ties and you maybe lose the trade for a couple of years but it does the org so much good long term.

But it is pretty much impossible.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This idea is a borderline impossibility. Geno's not going to Columbus for multiple reasons. It's unsure whether management would even consider it after Sid's reaction last time around. It's unsure whether we're the sort of place PLD wants to commit to. There's multiple reasons why Columbus aren't trading him here.

That said, if it were possible then, based on on-ice reasons alone, you do it and run away laughing. Because of course you do 34 year old 1C for 22 year old 1C every time. It would suck in terms of emotional ties and you maybe lose the trade for a couple of years but it does the org so much good long term.

But it is pretty much impossible.
Yeah the only way Malkin gets traded is if JR pulls his stupid shit again and Sullivan pisses him off (again) at the same time, at that point he'd give a list and I am 100% sure Columbus f***ing Ohio wouldn't be on that list. That place sucks, it's where my fiancé is from, even she says Columbus sucks ass.

I'd wager Geno would probably want to go to the Rangers or something if he were ever put in that situation.

JR & Sully pissing Geno off is more likely than Geno just randomly saying he wants out.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Columbus is in no position to trade a top young player for an older declining player. Makes zero sense. I mean zero, zilch, zippo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad