Value of: Malkin for Monahan

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the best package the Pens could get for Malkin is just Monahan now, then PIT needs to get another GM. This deal will start to be fair trade in 2 years.

If Malkin ever (God forbids) requests a trade and that's "all" we could get back, we'd be best to jump all over that. Because realistically, we wouldn't get anything nearly that good. We'd get a package - something like the below. I'll use Columbus due to their obvious need of a #1C.

Jenner/Dubinsky, Wennberg/Milano and maybe a 1st. And honestly? Even that is pretty questionable if they'd actually offer that.

So yeah, if Malkin forced our hand and Monahan was the best return possible, I'd do it. If Malkin didn't force our hand, then no, probably not. But not because of the value, but just because I don't see a need. If Malkin was 3-4 years older, then yeah, I'd think a lot harder about it.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Why? Putting your best offensive forward and goal scorer Malkin on wing gives him more room to score in transition, Bennett is already more successful at faceoffs and should only get better, and this lets Bennett set up Malkin for those right-circle one-timers he's so good at.

Malkin is an awesome centre, but when he gets put on Crosby's wing he shows he's an even better winger.
Bennett is no crosby but stylewise he actually resembles Crosby greatly. Bennett is also a very unnatural winger, playing at too high a tempo at that position.

Yeah, that's not true at all.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If Malkin ever (God forbids) requests a trade and that's "all" we could get back, we'd be best to jump all over that. Because realistically, we wouldn't get anything nearly that good. We'd get a package - something like the below. I'll use Columbus due to their obvious need of a #1C.

Jenner/Dubinsky, Wennberg/Milano and maybe a 1st. And honestly? Even that is pretty questionable if they'd actually offer that.

So yeah, if Malkin forced our hand and Monahan was the best return possible, I'd do it. If Malkin didn't force our hand, then no, probably not. But not because of the value, but just because I don't see a need. If Malkin was 3-4 years older, then yeah, I'd think a lot harder about it.

Ya star players always get such disappointing returns. Iginla, Bouwmester, Phaneuf.

Was happier with the David Jones, Glencross, and Russell returns.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I believe they would...they offered more than that for Rick Nash...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I believe they would...they offered more than that for Rick Nash...

Columbus didn't. :sarcasm:

Nash when he was traded, was also what... 28, and his contract only goes till he's 33? That is a little different then committing to someone for the next 6 years at 9.5m on a deal that takes him until he's 35.

And while now that deal doesn't look so bad (mainly due to how AA and Dub panned out and C>W), but Rychel (the 1st) and Erixon haven't done much and at the time I recall a lot of CBJ fans not being all that happy with the deal.

My only point was that there's no way we'd get an offer for Malkin that we'd be happy with. It just wouldn't happen. There's very few deals where the team trading the better player has actually come out ahead. Very few - and when that happens, it's almost always because someone made a mistake somewhere in their evaluations.

In the Nash example, I don't think anyone really believed that both Dubinsky and AA would become legitimate #2Cs. Just like how Toronto didn't think they'd finish bottom 2 and bottom 10 when they grabbed Kessel.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
First reply to this was bang on:

Calgary is not in "win-now" mode. Therefore they're not going to trade a younger player for an older one.

Pittsburgh is in "win-now" mode. Therefore they're not going to trade a more skilled player for a younger one - even if Monahan will likely be effective for a few more years than Malkin down the road.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
First reply to this was bang on:

Calgary is not in "win-now" mode. Therefore they're not going to trade a younger player for an older one.

Pittsburgh is in "win-now" mode. Therefore they're not going to trade a more skilled player for a younger one - even if Monahan will likely be effective for a few more years than Malkin down the road.

Every page or two we come back to that. Pitt fans just won't admit that Malkin is an old decrepit 2C.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Every page or two we come back to that. Pitt fans just won't admit that Malkin is an old decrepit 2C.

That would be because he isn't.

Every page or two you get called out on this BS, and still refuse to admit you have no idea what you are talking about(when it comes to Malkin).

30 is "old, and decrepit"... **** off.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Comparing this to the Subban-Weber swap is so far off.

Weber is a superstar (perceived anyways I know some say he isn't anymore. Subban is a superstar.

Malkin is a superstar. Monahan is no where near Malkin. Pk and webers peak value will always be roughly the same. Malkin and monahan ? Not even close IMO

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
That would be because he isn't.

Every page or two you get called out on this BS, and still refuse to admit you have no idea what you are talking about(when it comes to Malkin).

30 is "old, and decrepit"... **** off.

Jesus haha *whoosh*

I literally used the word decrepit.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
If Malkin were to decline, he still will not be worse than Monahan for the next five years.

Malkin will be a a great contributor during the flames push for the cup. Malkin's value is much higher than Monahan even with the difference in cap hit and age.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Malkin were to decline, he still will not be worse than Monahan for the next five years.

Malkin will be a a great contributor during the flames push for the cup. Malkin's value is much higher than Monahan even with the difference in cap hit and age.

The difference (and this would be important to the Flames) is that Malkin won't be better (or at least is unlikely to be better) in 5-7 years. Monahan in 5-7 years is barely 30, which means CGY still potentially has 10-15 years out of Monahan, vs maybe 5-7 our of Malkin.

There's zero reason for CGY to do this trade - even if it makes them better in the short and mid term. For a team that's as young as CGY is, Monahan is the better option. There's also no compelling reason for PIT to make this trade. Malkin just turned 30. If he was 33-34, then maybe this would make a little more sense - but he's not, and thus it doesn't.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Malkin is an awesome centre, but when he gets put on Crosby's wing he shows he's an even better winger. Bennett is no crosby but stylewise he actually resembles Crosby greatly. Bennett is also a very unnatural winger, playing at too high a tempo at that position.

Such nonsense, Malkin is a terrible winger and when did Bennett become a playmaking grinder?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
This thread has been a goldmine. While reading through it I chuckled a few times, rolled my eyes a lot, I think my eyebrows touched my hairline a time or 2, and at one point I literally snorted soda out of my nose. Never change HF

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Did someone seriously call Malkin a #2C? Malkin would be the #1 C on nearly every team in this league baring maybe 5...

Don't think they called him a 2C. Just that they'd stick him on the 2nd line and stack up the top line rather than putting him with Gaudreau. What I would do anyway

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ya, he's a similar style to Crosby. Few tiers below his level but there are similarities.

It's similar to an extent, but it's still different. Crosby's a grinder in the sense that he battles for pucks and is a wizard along the boards due to his hands, intelligence and lower body strength. Bennett plays more like a power forward that hits a bunch. Bennett throws around his weight drastically more than Crosby does, but Crosby controls the puck in the dirty areas drastically more than Bennett does. If Bennett had Crosby's speed and wasn't made of glass, he'd be an excellent winger for Geno. Hell, he was already a pretty solid winger for Geno.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It's similar to an extent, but it's still different. Crosby's a grinder in the sense that he battles for pucks and is a wizard along the boards due to his hands, intelligence and lower body strength. Bennett plays more like a power forward that hits a bunch. Bennett throws around his weight drastically more than Crosby does, but Crosby controls the puck in the dirty areas drastically more than Bennett does. If Bennett had Crosby's speed and wasn't made of glass, he'd be an excellent winger for Geno. Hell, he was already a pretty solid winger for Geno.

Wait I'm confused... I thought they were talking about Sam Bennett the Flames baby C, not Beau.....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait I'm confused... I thought they were talking about Sam Bennett the Flames baby C, not Beau.....

No, I think we were talking about Beau. A playmaking grinder is a pretty good description of Beau.

Wait, I think the original comment was about Sam, but that description fits Beau pretty well too. I got my Bennetts mixed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad