Value of: Malkin for Monahan

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Considering we just had a rare one on one trade for #1 defenceman for #1 defenseman of different ages but fit current teams needs. Could a trade like this honestly work for an older center still capable of being one of the best of the league for a younger one?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Both team refuses
Pens are in win mode now, Monahan is just a downgrade
Flames are a young team and aren't contenders yet, so they might want to keep Monahan

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Considering how much Malkin gets injured, it makes sence for the Pens. They get a younger, cheaper player, who is strong defensively. Monahan has the potential to score 70+ points. And he's only 21. I would do this in a heartbeat if I were Rutherford. In the flames perspective, doesn't make any sence. They are not a contending team. Value wise, it's pretty even. But need wise, doesn't make sence for the flames.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Considering how much Malkin gets injured, it makes sence for the Pens. They get a younger, cheaper player, who is strong defensively. Monahan has the potential to score 70+ points. And he's only 21. I would do this in a heartbeat if I were Rutherford. In the flames perspective, doesn't make any sence. They are not a contending team. Value wise, it's pretty even. But need wise, doesn't make sence for the flames.

Malkin regularly scores what you say Monahan has the potential to score despite his injuries, and he does it with a couple of fire hydrants on his wings rather than Gaudreau.

We want to win now - Malkin is the better choice to help us do that. Calgary should be peaking in a few years - Monahan is the better choice to help them do that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
giphy.gif

I don't get it for either team. Look no further than Kawa.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Aware us all on how Monohan scores 70+ points with 2 bottom 6 wingers on the Pens.

In reality we'd be looking at

Monohan 45 points
Kunitz 30 points
Rust 25 points

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'd do it as a flames fan, but it is an easy no from PIT.

I'd do it if we got a one year takeback. Seeing Malkin and Johnny on the same line would be special, but then he would turn 31.

Aware us all on how Monohan scores 70+ points with 2 bottom 6 wingers on the Pens.

In reality we'd be looking at

Monohan 45 points
Kunitz 30 points
Rust 25 points

Monahan was at about a 50 point pace with Paul Byron and Curtis Glencross flanking him about a year ago, and he's improved since then.

Malkin is easily better but let's also be fair, Malkin plays with some great players on that power play unit himself.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015

Monahan has been below average defensively thus far in his NHL career AND if the Penguins are getting trading Malkin FOR Monahan without Gadreau expect a very steep decline in 2nd line production.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
This kind of makes sense for Pittsburgh but I'm not sure why Calgary would bother.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Monahan was at about a 50 point pace with Paul Byron and Curtis Glencross flanking him about a year ago, and he's improved since then.

Malkin is easily better but let's also be fair, Malkin plays with some great players on that power play unit himself.

Total 5on5 points per season and the wingers most minutes played with 5on5

2013 - 24 points 5on5
Colbourne 397:04
Hudler - 363:30

2014 - 32 points 5on5
Hudler 584:48
Gaudreau 528:46

2015 - 37 points 5on5
Gaudreau 966:49
Hudler 471:49

Paul Byron and Curtis Glencross nowhere near the top in any year. I love it when people make up facts and think no one is smart enough to look up them up

Last edited:

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Total 5on5 points per season and the wingers most minutes played with 5on5

2013 - 24 points 5on5
Colbourne 397:04
Hudler - 363:30

2014 - 32 points 5on5
Hudler 584:48
Gaudreau 528:46

2015 - 37 points 5on5
Gaudreau 966:49
Hudler 471:49

Paul Byron and Curtis Glencross nowhere near the top in any year. I love it when people make up facts and think no one is smart enough to look up them up

It doesn't matter. Monahan is a stud and the Flames aren't trading the next Bergeron for a 30 year old Malkin.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It doesn't matter. Monahan is a stud and the Flames aren't trading the next Bergeron for a 30 year old Malkin.

Last I checked, the next Bergeron is Barkov... not the center that relies heavily on his linemates, relies mostly on the powerplay for offense and average defensive numbers.

Monohan is a great player, but all you do by overrating him is make other teams posters view him in a poorer light.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
the easiest no from pits. Not only would flames have to add alot, it makes no sense for pits. Malkin can produce at an elite level with decent linemates. Monahan hasnt shown that and prob cant and thats what he would have to do in pits. Plus, monahan skillset comes nowhere close to that of malkin.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
While I appreciate how awesome Malkin is, I love Monahan too much. He has potential to be a 40 goal scorer in his career. Maybe not more than 60-70 points, but he is average defensively and will get better as most centres do.

He's our only pure goalscorer and he's probably our future captain.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Last I checked, the next Bergeron is Barkov... not the center that relies heavily on his linemates, relies mostly on the powerplay for offense and average defensive numbers.

Monohan is a great player, but all you do by overrating him is make other teams posters view him in a poorer light.

Monahan had 20 PP points and 43 at even strength, so you need to explain how a scoring better than 2/3rds of his points 5v5 equates to relying mostly on the power play.

You don't want to call him Bergeron, fine. The Flames still aren't trading a 21 year old 30/30 #1C for 30 year old Evgeni Malkin.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

lol nice assessment of monahan and the flames fan base! Spot on!

The next bergeron :amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Barkov isnt similar to bergeron tho. Has more offense with less defense. Tho he does provide good D and doesnt rely on his linemates at all to produce. He's one of the best younger players in the league.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
How about if Pitt adds Crosby? I mean they'd be getting the next Bergeron(apparently) and they'd only have to give away 2 two 30 year old players. Sounds like a steal.

This section continues to provide the most insight into the mind of the delusional (homer in most cases)hockey fan.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Why wouldnt Calgary take this? Malkins on an entirely different level than Monahan and its not like theyre early in their rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad