Making the Playoffs?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
If you expect Granlund to get more goals than Ovi and a rookie that put up 40 goals i don't know what to say. Granlund is a playmaker and everyone knows that. There were many goals last year that Granlund created by setting the player up to score that was all him. You said top 20 points not top goal scorers :help:

EDIT: You brought up 20 top players in points for a year then changed it to goal scoring and players that scored more points with 60 games.

Tiebreakers exist for a reason. Here they are so you can get educated:

1. The player with the most goals.
2. If both have the same number of goals, then the player with the fewest games played.
3. If both have the same number of goals and games played, the the player that scored first during the regular season.

Per these rules and the way NHL ranks players - he didn't finish in the Top 20.

Regardless, such a small hill to make your argument from considering Granlund is not a superstar, never has been, and never will be.

As history has shown, very few teams, if any, win without a superstar player. The Wild don't have one.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Benn did it in less games, Ovi and Matthews both scored more goals. Tie-breakers exist for a reason. Scoring goals is harder. That's why he finished 22nd. GL to him not regressing.

Granlund finished 26th in P/GP for players w/ at least 60 games played.

So it counts when Benn plays less games but not when Granlund plays less games than Matthews and Ovie?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Winning with depth isn't sexy, and largely that's how the Wild do it.

Other team's have a lot finer line and some more "sexy" players, but their line between winning and losing largely depends on 2 or 3 players. Wild can sustain slumps because someone is largely there to step up.

That's why they've made it in the past, that's why they'll continue to make it in the near future. And that's why they'll be predicted to be out.

but we have a terrible slump every damn year, save last year where we had a pretty normal one by nhl standards. There's no way you can think we're good at avoiding horrible stretches.

That said I think we'll make the playoffs and get bounced in the first or second round again. I think Dallas is best in the division all year and the wild are in the second tier with Nashville and st Louis. Hopefully it's as fun as last season was.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
but we have a terrible slump every damn year, save last year where we had a pretty normal one by nhl standards. There's no way you can think we're good at avoiding horrible stretches.

That said I think we'll make the playoffs and get bounced in the first or second round again. I think Dallas is best in the division all year and the wild are in the second tier with Nashville and st Louis. Hopefully it's as fun as last season was.

Watch Dallas be third because everybody is picking them to Win the West. How many times does it need to be said the Wild Slumps are to do with GOALTENDING It's not that hard to figure out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Watch Dallas be third because everybody is picking them to Win the West. How many times does it need to be said the Wild Slumps are to do with GOALTENDING It's not that hard to figure out.

It wasn't just to goaltending, the Wild stopped scoring too. The Wild (most any team really) need to score 3+ goals to win last year.

Season:
30 games, 2 or less goals: 6-20-4, 3 wins were in OT/SO.
18 games, 3 goals: 12-3-3, 3 wins were in OT/SO.
34 games, 4+ goals: 31-2-1, 1 win in OT.

Mar 2 thru Apr 1, 17 games played 4-11-2:
6 games , 3+ goals: 4-1-1
11 games, 2 or less goals: 0-10-1

I'm not saying Dub was good for that month, he wasn't. He did appear in 14 of those 17 games played. The If Dub goes .915 (league average) over that month, he allows ~8 less goals.

The starting goalie is overworked (and his game is off a little), the backup goalie is garbage, the team stops scoring, and there isn't any time off = a recipe for disaster.

The goalies looked bad, but so did the skaters. Zucker and Coyle both went ice cold and killed their lines. Haula started sulking after being demoted to the 4th line (they burned a year of JEE's ELC because of it).

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
It wasn't just to goaltending, the Wild stopped scoring too. The Wild (most any team really) need to score 3+ goals to win last year.

Season:
30 games, 2 or less goals: 6-20-4, 3 wins were in OT/SO.
18 games, 3 goals: 12-3-3, 3 wins were in OT/SO.
34 games, 4+ goals: 31-2-1, 1 win in OT.

Mar 2 thru Apr 1, 17 games played 4-11-2:
6 games , 3+ goals: 4-1-1
11 games, 2 or less goals: 0-10-1

I'm not saying Dub was good for that month, he wasn't. He did appear in 14 of those 17 games played. The If Dub goes .915 (league average) over that month, he allows ~8 less goals.

The starting goalie is overworked (and his game is off a little), the backup goalie is garbage, the team stops scoring, and there isn't any time off = a recipe for disaster.

The goalies looked bad, but so did the skaters. Zucker and Coyle both went ice cold and killed their lines. Haula started sulking after being demoted to the 4th line (they burned a year of JEE's ELC because of it).
Please name a player or a team in the league doesn't at least go through five game stretch without slumping.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Please name a player or a team in the league doesn't at least go through five game stretch without slumping.

The Wild have a history of month long stretches of slumping. Coyle and Zucker have a history of completely disappearing. It's not hot and cold for them, more like on/off switches.

Coyle had 5p, -7 in a 21 game span near the end of the season. It wasn't that he was just unlucky, he looked bad on the ice. The other 61 games he had 51p, +20.

Zucker had 4p, +2 in the last 18g of the season. He had 43p, +32 in the 61 games before that.

Dub had his 15 game stretch of .889% sv%.

5 game slumps happen to almost everyone and team (12-13 Hawks are the exception). The Wild as a team and their players go into a slump and stay there.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The Wild have a history of month long stretches of slumping. Coyle and Zucker have a history of completely disappearing. It's not hot and cold for them, more like on/off switches.

Coyle had 5p, -7 in a 21 game span near the end of the season. It wasn't that he was just unlucky, he looked bad on the ice. The other 61 games he had 51p, +20.

Zucker had 4p, +2 in the last 18g of the season. He had 43p, +32 in the 61 games before that.

Dub had his 15 game stretch of .889% sv%.

5 game slumps happen to almost everyone and team (12-13 Hawks are the exception). The Wild as a team and their players go into a slump and stay there.
If the Wild stayed slumping They would have not made the Playoffs for the past five years.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Tiebreakers exist for a reason. Here they are so you can get educated:

1. The player with the most goals.
2. If both have the same number of goals, then the player with the fewest games played.
3. If both have the same number of goals and games played, the the player that scored first during the regular season.

Per these rules and the way NHL ranks players - he didn't finish in the Top 20.

Regardless, such a small hill to make your argument from considering Granlund is not a superstar, never has been, and never will be.

As history has shown, very few teams, if any, win without a superstar player. The Wild don't have one.

I agree Granlund isn't a superstar right now but I don't get why you are trying so hard to prove Granlund wasn't top 20 in points last year. All I know is he had the same amount of points as Ovi, Benn, and Matthews and he took a big step forward last year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Zucker played well all year, including the playoffs. Sometimes the puck just doesn't go in the net, and him not being on the PP makes a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad