Making the Playoffs?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Reading the prediction thread had me thinking. I was wondering what teams do fans and media predict out of the playoffs every year but they always end up making it?

I think the most common I see is

Minnesota and NYR

Is there any others?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Reading the prediction thread had me thinking. I was wondering what teams do fans and media predict out of the playoffs every year but they always end up making it?

I think the most common I see is

Minnesota and NYR

Is there any others?

Its crazy how many people are predicting the Wild to be bottom of the Division.

Last year almost everyone was saying the same thing.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015

The Wild might as well have finished at the bottom with the way last year ended.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Nah, I'll still take the 6 months of meaningful, entertaining hockey.

Was it really meaningful, though? I'm not trying to start anything but, considering what happened, I'm not so sure it was. Sure, it was entertaining. However, it was disappointing that the result was the same as the previous year.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Was it really meaningful, though? I'm not trying to start anything but, considering what happened, I'm not so sure it was. Sure, it was entertaining. However, it was disappointing that the result was the same as the previous year.

Well for me it beats the days of watching Jed Ortmeier and Warren Peters.

The end result was disappointing, but ill take making the playoffs for the last five years over watching a terrible team, with even worse drafting.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

In hindsight, no, only Pittsburgh played meaningful games last year. But in real time, yes, every game that was played meant something. Being out of things by Thanksgiving or Christmas, which is what pretty much what happens to the bottom of the league, would've sucked for 6 months.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Playoff experience matters. As much as it sucks for the fanbase to have your team flame out against a lesser squad in the first round, think how it feels for the players and team staff.

Even though they added some experience last season with Staal, Ryan Suter has 78 playoff games under his belt where a guy like Brent Seabrook has 123; Koivu has just 50 where Kopitar has 75 and Getzlaf has 121. It's not the only thing that matters, but it does matter.

If Dubnyk goes down for the whole season like Jon Quick did for the Kings last year, maybe they miss. But all things considered they should be in the mix and more prepared than ever for that Game 1. (A long way from today I must say.)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

There will always be contrarian opinions.

Waiting for the next analyst to have Minnesota as their "dark horse" Cup winner. Happens every year.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
DDA38gDXcAA1TQb.jpg:large

This might have some impact however too

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I believe we had a very favorable schedule last season, which is why we're on the other end (unfavorable) this upcoming season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Winning with depth isn't sexy, and largely that's how the Wild do it.

Other team's have a lot finer line and some more "sexy" players, but their line between winning and losing largely depends on 2 or 3 players. Wild can sustain slumps because someone is largely there to step up.

That's why they've made it in the past, that's why they'll continue to make it in the near future. And that's why they'll be predicted to be out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's not like the Wild have lit the world on fire the last 3 of the last 4 years.
-They've been a WC quality team that dug themselves holes they had to fight their way out of.
-The Central has been a brutal Division to play in since it's inception.
-It's hard to get a real read on the team. They can have a couple month stretch where they look like the best team in hockey. Then follow it with an extended stretch where they look like garbage. Which is the real team?
-Vanek as the only big UFA signing and he busted (for his pay) here. Staal's signing was good, but he had some questions surrounding him at the time.
-The team doesn't have a Kane, Crosby, McDavid quality FWD that can take over games.
-Going into last season the talent pipeline was viewed near the bottom of the league.

All they do have is:
-Solid defense
-above average goalie (sometimes elite)
-good FWD depth

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
It's not like the Wild have lit the world on fire the last 3 of the last 4 years.
-They've been a WC quality team that dug themselves holes they had to fight their way out of.
-The Central has been a brutal Division to play in since it's inception.
-It's hard to get a real read on the team. They can have a couple month stretch where they look like the best team in hockey. Then follow it with an extended stretch where they look like garbage. Which is the real team?
-Vanek as the only big UFA signing and he busted (for his pay) here. Staal's signing was good, but he had some questions surrounding him at the time.
-The team doesn't have a Kane, Crosby, McDavid quality FWD that can take over games.
-Going into last season the talent pipeline was viewed near the bottom of the league.

All they do have is:
-Solid defense
-above average goalie (sometimes elite)
-good FWD depth

I would say a franchise high in points last year was pretty good. I know you are extremely upset about losing the Scandella trade, but that doesn't make the team a bottom feeder.

I have said it before, Ennis will outscore Pommer this year. And the Wild will make the playoffs for what the 6th straight year?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would say a franchise high in points last year was pretty good. I know you are extremely upset about losing the Scandella trade, but that doesn't make the team a bottom feeder.

I have said it before, Ennis will outscore Pommer this year. And the Wild will make the playoffs for what the 6th straight year?

Ennis has topped Pommer's point total from last season 1 time in his career. Could Ennis score more points than Pommer this year? Sure, but it'll depend on useage. A Kane/Eichel/Pommer (Reinhart as 3C) line and Pommer could rack up 15g/40a. A Pouliot/Larrson (Grigensons)/Pommer line and 30p is probably the max. An Ennis/JEE/Coyle line and Ennis could hit 35p. An Ennis/???/Stewie line and Ennis would be lucky to hit 20p. *If a fully healthy 82 game season for everyone.

I don't know if the Wild make the Playoffs this year. The Division looks like a meat-grinder again with the Blues, Hawks, Jets, Preds, Stars, and Wild all going for 3 Playoff spots (I think the Pacific gets both WCs with AZ, Vegas, and Nuks as teams to beat up on). One key injury can sink any team's season.

My post was more referring to why so many have the Wild finishing lower in the Standings every year. They are a tough team to get a read on with their Jekyll and Hyde months of play.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
According to a couple of main board threads, it looks like Minnesota will finish top 5 in the league but not make the playoffs. Excited to see how that happens-- guessing Heatley returns to the Wild as the Night King and turns the team to his side, changing their goal from vying for the cup to just destroying the entire league.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Other team's have a lot finer line and some more "sexy" players, but their line between winning and losing largely depends on 2 or 3 players. Wild can sustain slumps because someone is largely there to step up.

That's why they've made it in the past, that's why they'll continue to make it in the near future. And that's why they'll be predicted to be out.

This. Wild probably won't have anyone in the top10 in scoring but how many teams had 5 forwards in the top60?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
This. Wild probably won't have anyone in the top10 in scoring but how many teams had 5 forwards in the top60?

Leafs had 6 (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Bozak, JvR) and the Capitals had 5 (Backstrom, Ovi, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Oshie).

I would like to point out though that in the last 17 years, only 3 teams have won a Stanley Cup without at least one Top 20 point scorer.

2017: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel
2016: Crosby, Letang (Malkin had 58pts in 57gp)
2015:
2014: Kopitar
2013: Kane, Toews
2012: Kopitar
2011:
2010: Kane
2009: Malkin, Crosby
2008: Datsyuk, Zetterberg
2007: Selanne
2006: E. Staal
2004: St. Louis, Stillman, Richards
2003:
2002: Shanahan
2001: Sakic, Forsberg
2000: Sakic

The Wild have only ever had (1) player finish in the Top 20 for points ever, and that was the 07-08 season where Gaborik finished 12th.

Fact of the matter is teams don't (or at the very least it is incredibly rare) win Stanley Cups without superstars. Wild don't have one and the one player that has that ceiling (Kaprizov) has been shunned by an incompetent front office.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Leafs had 6 (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Bozak, JvR) and the Capitals had 5 (Backstrom, Ovi, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Oshie).

I would like to point out though that in the last 17 years, only 3 teams have won a Stanley Cup without at least one Top 20 point scorer.

2017: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel
2016: Crosby, Letang (Malkin had 58pts in 57gp)
2015:
2014: Kopitar
2013: Kane, Toews
2012: Kopitar
2011:
2010: Kane
2009: Malkin, Crosby
2008: Datsyuk, Zetterberg
2007: Selanne
2006: E. Staal
2004: St. Louis, Stillman, Richards
2003:
2002: Shanahan
2001: Sakic, Forsberg
2000: Sakic

The Wild have only ever had (1) player finish in the Top 20 for points ever, and that was the 07-08 season where Gaborik finished 12th.

Fact of the matter is teams don't (or at the very least it is incredibly rare) win Stanley Cups without superstars. Wild don't have one and the one player that has that ceiling (Kaprizov) has been shunned by an incompetent front office.

What about Granlund tied for 20th last year with OV, Benn, and Matthews?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
What about Granlund tied for 20th last year with OV, Benn, and Matthews?

Benn did it in less games, Ovi and Matthews both scored more goals. Tie-breakers exist for a reason. Scoring goals is harder. That's why he finished 22nd. GL to him not regressing.

Granlund finished 26th in P/GP for players w/ at least 60 games played.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

If that were true the Wild would not have gone 4-10-2 in March.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Benn did it in less games, Ovi and Matthews both scored more goals. Tie-breakers exist for a reason. Scoring goals is harder. That's why he finished 22nd. GL to him not regressing.

Granlund finished 26th in P/GP for players w/ at least 60 games played.

If you expect Granlund to get more goals than Ovi and a rookie that put up 40 goals i don't know what to say. Granlund is a playmaker and everyone knows that. There were many goals last year that Granlund created by setting the player up to score that was all him. You said top 20 points not top goal scorers :help:

EDIT: You brought up 20 top players in points for a year then changed it to goal scoring and players that scored more points with 60 games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad