Make a TDL trade and reactivate Stone soon

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I know Patches isn't on LTIR (yet) but what was the cap space from the Dadonov trade for?

To bring Martinez back. That's why Smith is on LTIR now.

Even more importantly the Dadonov trade was for the cap next year.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
They tried to trade a 2nd to clear cap when Smith went on LTIR a few days later?

The Dadonov trade was just as much a move for next year as it was for this year. If the rumors on deadline day were true that Smith was talking extension they would have needed the tagging space for next year to sign him. Even if they have a deal agreed upon now they don't have the room.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
The Dadonov trade was just as much a move for next year as it was for this year. If the rumors on deadline day were true that Smith was talking extension they would have needed the tagging space for next year to sign him. Even if they have a deal agreed upon now they don't have the room.
If he's going to play like this, trade Patches for cap space, not Dadanov.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
If he's going to play like this, trade Patches for cap space, not Dadanov.

I mean even if he's not going to play like this, Dadonov is more useful than a guy that is barely healthy.

Realistically they're both going to have to go. Although I am starting to come around to the idea of trading for a proven NHL goalie that is dirt cheap like Stolarz, trading Lehner, and running with the cheapest goalie tandem in the league in Thompson and Stolarz.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Maybe Roy & Smith extensions. You're right, they don't have the space for both right now.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I mean even if he's not going to play like this, Dadonov is more useful than a guy that is barely healthy.

Realistically they're both going to have to go. Although I am starting to come around to the idea of trading for a proven NHL goalie that is dirt cheap like Stolarz, trading Lehner, and running with the cheapest goalie tandem in the league in Thompson and Stolarz.

I'd love to see this. I think this is good Moneyball spending very little on goalies. The impact of a good goalie compared to an OK goalie is very small over the course of a season, something like a few standings points. I have totally been against spending big money on goalie, even the 7m when announced for MAF I said was a mistake not just because of age, but because of value. Out of all the big money goalies in the league Vasi is the only one who feels like he's delivered regularly. Guys like Price, Hellebuyck, Fleury, Bob, Grubauer, Murray, Binnington, etc. are just proving paying long term deals for top 10 goalie dollars is a huge risk that only on occasion works out. Yeah we can point out in some past season those guys delivered a big postseason, but if you are smart you don't pay for past performance.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'd love to see this. I think this is good Moneyball spending very little on goalies. The impact of a good goalie compared to an OK goalie is very small over the course of a season, something like a few standings points. I have totally been against spending big money on goalie, even the 7m when announced for MAF I said was a mistake not just because of age, but because of value. Out of all the big money goalies in the league Vasi is the only one who feels like he's delivered regularly. Guys like Price, Hellebuyck, Fleury, Bob, Grubauer, Murray, Binnington, etc. are just proving paying long term deals for top 10 goalie dollars is a huge risk that only on occasion works out. Yeah we can point out in some past season those guys delivered a big postseason, but if you are smart you don't pay for past performance.
At this point I'd like to roll with Thompson and get a cheap backup in the 1-1.5 million range. From what I've seen in an admittingly small sample, Thompson's upside is well above Lehner's, and while it would be quite the gamble, I don't really feel the Lehner/Brossoit combo was championship caliber either.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
At this point I'd like to roll with Thompson and get a cheap backup in the 1-1.5 million range. From what I've seen in an admittingly small sample, Thompson's upside is well above Lehner's, and while it would be quite the gamble, I don't really feel the Lehner/Brossoit combo was championship caliber either.
They could have been a championship winner, but you have to consider what the team could have done with the extra $5+m in cap space for the full analysis. I don't question if Lehner can win a Cup, really any goalie can get hot and with a good supporting cast could win it. Binnington and Murray have proven that in recent years. A healthy Lehner is probably a better goalie today than either of those guys.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
They could have been a championship winner, but you have to consider what the team could have done with the extra $5+m in cap space for the full analysis. I don't question if Lehner can win a Cup, really any goalie can get hot and with a good supporting cast could win it. Binnington and Murray have proven that in recent years. A healthy Lehner is probably a better goalie today than either of those guys.

Yeah there is no reason to think Lehner couldn't win a Cup. There are reasons to think he can't stay healthy with a starter's workload and we could use the 5m in space elsewhere.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I don't know if Thompson could ever be a top 10 goalie. He's a battler like MAF, but his feet and glove are much slower.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I don't know if Thompson could ever be a top 10 goalie. He's a battler like MAF, but his feet and glove are much slower.
Have you seen how slow Lehner can be??? I don't think he's a top 10 goalie either, healthy or not.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lehner certainly can be and has been top 10 during his career. Saying otherwise is silly.

Personally though, keep him or trade him makes little difference to me. I think he can be top 10 again but maybe not here with how garbage he's been treated by our fans ever since he first got here. It gets to him, it's easy to tell and is unlikely to get any better.

A trade may be the best thing for him and the best thing for us as we wouldn't be devaluing our own asset further before eventually trading him anyway.

But a healthy Lehner, away from the toxicity of our fanbase, would be a good bet to be a top 10 goalie again, assuming the team's defense is also competitive. He shouldn't be difficult to move.

I think it's all moot though. While I would be willing to spend 3 million total on goaltending next season and roll with how it goes, it seems the exact opposite of how McCrimmon and McPhee, and to be fair most GMs, think.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'm OK with the idea of spending 3 million or so on goalies next year, but I do not think Lehner is anything but slightly above average.

May be wishful thinking, but if you're making 5+ million, it shouldn't matter how the fan base treats him. Especially since it really isn't about him, it's about how beloved MAF was, whether deserved or not.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I would like to apologize to Robin Lehner.
I, hot cabbagesoup, was one of the guys who wanted your backup to get more starts earlier in the year. But now I realize what I am missing. So please, Robin, come back, you are my #1 goaltender.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Have you seen how efficient Lehner can be? He can be a wall when he's on his game, and he absolutely was a top 5 goalie for a few years.
He plays like a walrus in the commercial. Takes up a lot of net, but his glove hand is slow and he gets completely out of position. We're going to just have to disagree, because, while I don't think he's terrible, I also don't think he's a top 10 goaltender.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
He plays like a walrus in the commercial. Takes up a lot of net, but his glove hand is slow and he gets completely out of position. We're going to just have to disagree, because, while I don't think he's terrible, I also don't think he's a top 10 goaltender.

And he needs to wait for the next scheduled bus to take him across the crease.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm OK with the idea of spending 3 million or so on goalies next year, but I do not think Lehner is anything but slightly above average.

May be wishful thinking, but if you're making 5+ million, it shouldn't matter how the fan base treats him. Especially since it really isn't about him, it's about how beloved MAF was, whether deserved or not.
Yeah but I think Foley just saw one too many Fleury playoff gaffs that lead to a loss. I won't blame Fleury for all of it. Many times the team outshot their opponents and dominated the ice but as soon as we got overtime playoff hockey, Fleury would let it a weak goal. Some Fleury fans would argue with me and would say he won the vezina what more could I want and I said Conn Smyth so basically Vasilesky who has a knack for winning series clinching games and not at all like Fleury that wilts as the games get bigger

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
No '5+ players on waivers' option?
since contracts are guaranteed and players can't be bought out at this point and can't be sent to the AHL other than guys recalled after the trade deadline, there would be limited salary relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad