Make a TDL trade and reactivate Stone soon

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
As much as people think its a team issue, we really badly need Stone to come back, I am not here to start an argument on if he is actually injured or not, we will never know the truth so there is no reason to elaborate on it. The best game plan now is to free up some cap space and have the ability to reactivate stone, even if he can only play 15 games, he is a top 30 player for god sake, he can helo our team immensly. you cant expect a team to lose there best player to still be on long winning streaks etc. Best game plan is either get rid of Dadonov or trade Smith for a player on there ELC, i know Daddy wint be an easy move but we need the space, once we have the space atleast Stone can be activated. This isnt the time to start deciding whether to kucherov stone so we can ream the benefits on keeping smith/dadonov, that wont matter if we cant make the ploaffs

Stone will deff play the last 15 games if its a shot at entering the playoffs and legitamtely having the chance to win it all this year

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
As much as people think its a team issue, we really badly need Stone to come back, I am not here to start an argument on if he is actually injured or not, we will never know the truth so there is no reason to elaborate on it. The best game plan now is to free up some cap space and have the ability to reactivate stone, even if he can only play 15 games, he is a top 30 player for god sake, he can helo our team immensly. you cant expect a team to lose there best player to still be on long winning streaks etc. Best game plan is either get rid of Dadonov or trade Smith for a player on there ELC, i know Daddy wint be an easy move but we need the space, once we have the space atleast Stone can be activated. This isnt the time to start deciding whether to kucherov stone so we can ream the benefits on keeping smith/dadonov, that wont matter if we cant make the ploaffs

Stone will deff play the last 15 games if its a shot at entering the playoffs and legitamtely having the chance to win it all this year
He's definitely hurt, who is saying he isn't? The NHL doesn't let anyone go on LTIR whenever they want.

He'll play when he's ready, it's as simple as that.

He is signed for five more years and not getting younger so I don't want to rush him back for a run only to mess him up for the rest of his time here.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Anyone watching could see Stone was quite limited and not the player this year that he was the last two, obviously due to back injuries affecting his skating, which has always been marginal. Furthermore, while I understand Smith is a UFA ,just watch the last few games to see how important he is to the team. With Eichel just really getting up to speed, with McNabb, Martinez, Howden, Janmark et al. on IR I'm in favor of writing off the playoffs absent a miracle and being a seller to start restocking this team for net year and the future.

In the summer, I'd get rid of Pacioretty and Dadanov for whatever we can get and replacing them with kids on ELC's and resigning Smith.

Reactions: Lehtonen

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Maybe the best thing they can do is sell, & convince other GMs it's not a cap dump because of where they are in the standings. Then the team takes it personally & goes on a Spottless winning streak.

Then Stone & Martinez re-join the team at the end of the season to get enough points to make the playoffs.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Obviously Dadonov is the easy choice to trade to free up salary for next season but Karlsson should be in the discussion as well. Too bad Stephenson's production dropped off a cliff in 2022 or I'd have had no problem slotting him in as the 2C and saving 3m a year there. Perhaps instead of the obvious choice of playing Eichel with Patches and Stone they keep Stephenson with them and Eichel can center Marchy and Smith if he returns. Karlsson is barely outscoring Howden. He is good defensively and on the PK but his production needs to double to come close to justifying his salary and cap hit.

As far as the actual TDL, again obviously Dadonov but who is going to take him? Smith and Janmark are the upcoming free agents, both are out injured. If the Rangers or someone offers a first for Smith can you really turn it down? Patches is injured as well so I think that would have to be in the offseason.

Only trades to add should be a goalie who would ideally be an upcoming UFA.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
As I've said before, problem with trading Karlsson is his value is way below what it was. I also think he's being misused by PDB, he's just not meant to be someone playing a grinding forechecking style. He could go back to what he was in a more open system where his skating and passing would be better used. He scored 43 goals in the aggressive skating Gallant system, he's capable of much more than he's showing. I'd think Stephenson would thrive in that system as well. Then both their cap hits would be bargains.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Carrier probably has the most value at this point :laugh:

"Under 2m, signed for several years. I can see him returning a 1st & a good prospect" ~ hockey insiders

Reactions: Lehtonen

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Obviously Dadonov is the easy choice to trade to free up salary for next season but Karlsson should be in the discussion as well. Too bad Stephenson's production dropped off a cliff in 2022 or I'd have had no problem slotting him in as the 2C and saving 3m a year there. Perhaps instead of the obvious choice of playing Eichel with Patches and Stone they keep Stephenson with them and Eichel can center Marchy and Smith if he returns. Karlsson is barely outscoring Howden. He is good defensively and on the PK but his production needs to double to come close to justifying his salary and cap hit.

As far as the actual TDL, again obviously Dadonov but who is going to take him? Smith and Janmark are the upcoming free agents, both are out injured. If the Rangers or someone offers a first for Smith can you really turn it down? Patches is injured as well so I think that would have to be in the offseason.

They could probably get Smith re-signed at this point around 4 years at 4.5M. The bright side of not winning too much.

Talking about Karlsson/Stephenson/Roy makes me think about all those posts on the main board saying Vegas has 'too much' depth at C and Roy will be asking for a ton of money in the offseason...:huh:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I thought Smith was having a down year and even after the 1 goal in 16 games or whatever it was stretch he just had recently his numbers are still not bad. I think the numbers the posters having been predicting here for his next contract are too low. I think I'm about the only one who was saying 5+ a year. The pandemic offseason changed things a little but players of similar or less quality than Smith regularly get 6m+ in free agency. I'd love to be proven wrong especially if it's to re-sign here.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I thought Smith was having a down year and even after the 1 goal in 16 games or whatever it was stretch he just had recently his numbers are still not bad. I think the numbers the posters having been predicting here for his next contract are too low. I think I'm about the only one who was saying 5+ a year. The pandemic offseason changed things a little but players of similar or less quality than Smith regularly get 6m+ in free agency. I'd love to be proven wrong especially if it's to re-sign here.
I think the important thing with Smith, who is extremely valuable even if he doesn't score enough, is term. I wouldn't go more than 4 years, something like 6 x 4. I don't want to be San Jose, stuck with all those huge unmovable contracts like Karlsson and Burns and maybe Hertl in 4-5 years.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's the max I'd offer though, and maybe he'll take it.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Thing is this season is the outlier for Karlsson. Every other year in Vegas he has produced like a 5.9m player. There's no reason to think he won't bounce back to his usual 55-60 point pace. And he's absolutely essential to take harder defensive matchups to free up Eichel.

The places to look to clear cap are obviously Dadonov, Patrick, Brossoit, Pacioretty in that order.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Carrier probably has the most value at this point :laugh:

"Under 2m, signed for several years. I can see him returning a 1st & a good prospect" ~ hockey insiders

If they could get that he should have been traded weeks ago. Sarcasm aside I think the issue is that you have an owner who believes in never retreat so a wise sell off of assets has to be very limited and targeted. If they decide Smith isn't coming back then sell, but if they believe anyone they want to sign will be theirs with the extra window the team gets to negotiate in then you don't trade him. Patches could be traded if he was healthy but his value is so small while hurt with no clear timetable on a return. The rest of the guys that could be traded are just going to get so little its not worth doing the deals. Some could read into it as the team is stubbornly going for it, but realistically they have no other choice. A fire sale gets you no closer to success with the limited window they have. Third round picks and lower are 5-7 years from contributing, if ever, so trades right now have to be for current players or at least prospects and not many teams willing to give those up as they try to gear up for a run at the Cup.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stone, Martinez and Lehner likely out until the playoffs.
Pacioretty and Smith out another week or two with only six weeks left.
McNabb still out for now along with Hutton and Hague.

Depending on what happens with our situation the next few games, I wouldn't be against looking at what they can get for a few players at the deadline. The prices now are ridiculous and we aren't enough of a Cup contender this season even if we make it in.

If they lose to the Kings they'll be 8 points behind them and probably 4 or so back of the wildcard and Oilers with 18 games remaining. We don't look like we can beat the Flames or Avalanche unless we get on a run at the right time.

Smith and Pacioretty are off the table but Carrier could get a 1st from someone at the prices this year. Janmark might get a 2nd from someone desperate half retained but another 3rd and an extra pick would be reasonable.

Maybe throw a few 3rds for McBain and play some young guys this season, see where we are and look to retool and get a little younger next season.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Is the rumor about a d man trade with Montreal true? Not sure who Vegas is willing to part with unless its futures.

Reactions: The Cheez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad