Makar vs Hughes

Who would you take?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Come on man that is literally the worst argument ever.

For people that know basketball, these two players aren’t even close.
Robert Horry has 7...........

Kobe was a great player and probably top 10 all-time, but 3 players he played against throughout his career have strong arguments as being better (Jordan, James and Duncan). The rings argument matters in basketball due to the massive impact one player can have (moreso than any other player in NA sports over a regular season and playoff run). But, Jordan vs Kobe isn't a debate. I mean, Kobe was the best player on two title teams (and maybe equal footing with Shaq on one), whereas Jordan was the best on 6, won 6 final MVPs, disappeared for 2 years, and won more regular season awards.

Sorry for the interuption from Hughes/Makar. But, this is like saying Gretzky vs any all time great not named Orr, Lemieux or Howe is redundant. There is a clear massive divide that is almost impossible to cross.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I was higher on Makar as a prospect but I do have a preference to Hughes. Hughes for Chicago, but couldn't go wrong with either in a void. But like I said before my preference is Hughes.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Hughes for me because he is on my team but if neither was I would easily say it's a toss up

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Granted I’m a Canuck fan so I may be bias. Both are going to be true franchise defensemen, but from what I’ve seen, Hughes is a fair bit better defensively than Makar and the numbers back it up. Makar may have a better ppg but it’s super close and with Hughes better defensive play, I take him.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Another Fantastic game from Quintin Hughes. As the season gets more important he keeps raising him game. Makar’s season peak was in November!

Fivealive5

Nov 6, 2017
Makar will finish his career with 1-3 cups for the Avs, Hughes will only get one on a Raymond Borque-esque end of career hail mary (if he stays with the Canucks, since they suck so bad).

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
They produce almost equally, but Makar is more dynamic so he gets the edge.

I agree that Makar is slightly better, but is also a year older.

but, how is he more dynamic? Give me an example, what are you basing this on? Hughes is basically the definition of a highly dynamic defenseman.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

but, how is he more dynamic? Give me an example, what are you basing this on? Hughes is basically the definition of a highly dynamic defenseman.

Both of us are inherently biased, so I'll preface it at that. But Makar's physicality alone makes him more dynamic in my eyes. I don't see Hughes ever adding that to his skillset, but his elusiveness and stickchecking prowess in the defensive end is extremely good to offset his lack of size and physicality. Aside from that, Makar is a better lateral skater and has a deceptiveness to his movement that I haven't seen from Hughes. Don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, production is paramount and at the moment Hughes is exceeding Makar by a fair margin. If that continues Hughes will win the Calder and will deserve it. But regardless, from what I've seen from both I'd still prefer the more complete, dynamic skillset that Makar provides in the long term.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

I don’t get the year older thing. Does everyone expect Hughes to make a big jump in production next year or something because he’s a year younger. They are both learning the nhl game together at the same level. Their both playing top mins on the top lines, top pp mins. I don’t see this ever being an issue till maybe the latter part of their careers. It’s not like Makar is 3 years older. I get that what Hughes is doing at a year younger is special but it has no barring going forward

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad