Proposal: Magnus Paajarvi at Centre? (future-not now)

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I don't really see a point. Besides, if they didn't try him at C when he was in the AHL, I really doubt they do now.

The center position for the Oilers looks like its set for the next three years with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff and Smithson (Lander) anyways.

Paajarvi has become a really effective 2-way winger, no sense in changing him now.

I don't see a point anymore, either. It was a thing a year ago or so. And it was a thing (again) when Hall was also discussed as a Centre.

But right now its not anything.

zeus3007*

Every couple months someone suggests this. It won't happen, mainly because he cannot win face offs.

Neither can Nuge or Smyth, but we still play them there. :laugh:

Seriously though, lets just see what he turns into as a winger before we try moving him to center.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I would rather just keep Lander there and have MPS on his wing with Hartikainen or a new vet we hopefully pick up thus summer.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't see why we need to consider moving PRV around at all at this point. He's doing exactly what he should be doing and then some (considering the expectations going into this season).

Judging his defense is difficult in terms of statistics but I would dare to say that he is definitely worth his spot on the 2nd line in terms of how he handles that responsibility.

Offensively I don't see any motive for complaining.

He's in 28th place overall in goals scored (shared) - noteworthy here is the he has a lower TOI/G than everyone ahead of him (only Bickell has lower but they are have the same amount of goals scored) and he's not getting the amount of PP TOI/G as most of the others left wingers ahead of him. So in terms of goal production (which we really need) he's an above average 2nd line left winger.

He's 62nd overall in total points due to his low assist production. Again he's low on TOI/G (only 8 players with lower TOI/G in places 1-61) and he's in the lower half when PP TOI/G is concerned. So in terms of total points production he's a below average 2nd liner. That said, considering that we as a team are in 4th place in goals scored on the PP but in 28th place in goals scored on EV, and that he's getting relatively little PP TOI/G, I'd actually give him a pass and say that he's an average 2nd liner also in terms of points production. But that last part is just my opinion.

He'll probably never become a star winger but he's doing definitely proven himself good enough for playing 2nd line so I don't see that we have a problem on our hands here.

edit: Also in terms of scoring, he was not scoring in his first 8 games back here when playing on the 3rd line so that should count for something.

edit2: I am sorry if I misunderstood the motive of moving PRV to center. I just think that if we are claiming that he's not playing good enough for our 2nd line and we should move him because of it we need to re-evaluate what we expect of a 2nd line winger...

Last edited:

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
I don't see why we need to consider moving PRV around at all at this point. He's doing exactly what he should be doing and then some (considering the expectations going into this season).

Judging his defense is difficult in terms of statistics but I would dare to say that he is definitely worth his spot on the 2nd line in terms of how he handles that responsibility.

Offensively I don't see any motive for complaining.

He's in 28th place overall in goals scored (shared) - noteworthy here is the he has a lower TOI/G than everyone ahead of him (only Bickell has lower but they are have the same amount of goals scored) and he's not getting the amount of PP TOI/G as most of the others left wingers ahead of him. So in terms of goal production (which we really need) he's an above average 2nd line left winger.

He's 62nd overall in total points due to his low assist production. Again he's low on TOI/G (only 8 players with lower TOI/G in places 1-61) and he's in the lower half when PP TOI/G is concerned. So in terms of total points production he's a below average 2nd liner. That said, considering that we as a team are in 4th place in goals scored on the PP but in 28th place in goals scored on EV, and that he's getting relatively little PP TOI/G, I'd actually give him a pass and say that he's an average 2nd liner also in terms of points production. But that last part is just my opinion.

He'll probably never become a star winger but he's doing definitely proven himself good enough for playing 2nd line so I don't see that we have a problem on our hands here.

edit: Also in terms of scoring, he was not scoring in his first 8 games back here when playing on the 3rd line so that should count for something.

edit2: I am sorry if I misunderstood the motive of moving PRV to center. I just think that if we are claiming that he's not playing good enough for our 2nd line and we should move him because of it we need to re-evaluate what we expect of a 2nd line winger...

Nice post. Thats some stark information on icetime versus points for Magnus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad