Proposal: Magnus Paajarvi at Centre? (future-not now)

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Is anyone else intrigued by the idea of this?

As a disclaimer, no I haven't heard this rumoured anywhere, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Now this doesn't mean it should be done immediately, especially since Paajarvi has only in the last 1-2 months began to establish himself as an NHL regular, but I honestly think it could work in the not-so-distant future.

He's big, improving in the physical play aspect of the game, is a fantastic skater and seems to be naturally more of a two-way player. I remember reading an Oilers nation article a year or two ago about him that said Magnus used to play defence, so maybe this is why his two-way play seems so solid for how such a young player.

What do you guys think?

Am I way out to lunch on this, or could there be something there?

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I like the idea of this but I don't think Magnus can play the style that is needed. Nuge is much smaller and lighter but plays very hard on the puck while Magnus tends to stay away from contact. I agree he has been doing this much better this last 15 games but look at Cal and Van games. He got roughed up and wilted away.

I want Magnus to succeed more than anybody, but just dont think he would transition well to center. ?If this was on the radar, it should have been down last year or first half of this year in the minors.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he can do it, but I wouldn't just yet. Magnus really has started coming into his own. I'd really like to see him continue this and not wreck his confidence by changing his position.

Down the road yes maybe try it, right now no.

Same like Hall, why change a guy that is playing some of his best hockey as a pro?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
His game seems awfully suited to the wing to me.

If anything, I would potentially look at defense over center. Brent Burns is perhaps the best example of a guy being drafted at forward and being converted to defense. And he looked amazing as a d-man. For awhile there he looked like he could be on the next Canadian Olympic team before some injuries happened. Of course, he has been switched back to forward this year and is having a decent offensive go at it.

I would rather just keep him at the wing though (although a switch to right wing could go a long way in helping his offense).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If the Oilers had ny intention of doing this... they wouldve played him at C when he was down in OKC... 0 chance it happens now..

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Is anyone else intrigued by the idea of this?

As a disclaimer, no I haven't heard this rumoured anywhere, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Now this doesn't mean it should be done immediately, especially since Paajarvi has only in the last 1-2 months began to establish himself as an NHL regular, but I honestly think it could work in the not-so-distant future.

He's big, improving in the physical play aspect of the game, is a fantastic skater and seems to be naturally more of a two-way player. I remember reading an Oilers nation article a year or two ago about him that said Magnus used to play defence, so maybe this is why his two-way play seems so solid for how such a young player.

What do you guys think?

Am I way out to lunch on this, or could there be something there?

I threw this suggestion out there several times last season and even two years ago.

I was disappointed they didn't try him out as a centre in OKC. Mind you, they were prolly preoccupied with tryin to ressurect his offensive game as a winger and they did a pretty good job of that...so...baby steps...I suppose.

Also...I'd said Magnus might be an even better conversion project than Hall..but...right now...I find myself re-thinking that.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
What is with this idea of moving every one to Center? MAP is a proto typical Winger, the guy should not play C.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
What is with this idea of moving every one to Center? MAP is a proto typical Winger, the guy should not play C.

Why?

Do you honestly understand the differences in positions and, if so, what are your criteria for a player to be a "prototypical" winger?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
what!? you guys aren't sold on Martindale or Smithson?

I like Lander as a third line center.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't really see a point. Besides, if they didn't try him at C when he was in the AHL, I really doubt they do now.

The center position for the Oilers looks like its set for the next three years with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff and Smithson (Lander) anyways.

Paajarvi has become a really effective 2-way winger, no sense in changing him now.

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
what!? you guys aren't sold on Martindale or Smithson?

I like Lander as a third line center.

Smithson hasn't even played for us let, Lets just see hows he plays for the rest of the year before being "sold" on him, But if he plays well then I wouldn't mind signing him again since he would be way cheaper than Belanger and probably an upgrade too. Martindale hasn't really showed much in his pro career so far, He's been underwhelming from the games I saw in OKC. Hes a project.

I see Lander as Horcoff's replacement in the future but he is not ready to be the 3rd line center on this team...

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
His game seems awfully suited to the wing to me.

If anything, I would potentially look at defense over center. Brent Burns is perhaps the best example of a guy being drafted at forward and being converted to defense. And he looked amazing as a d-man. For awhile there he looked like he could be on the next Canadian Olympic team before some injuries happened. Of course, he has been switched back to forward this year and is having a decent offensive go at it.

I would rather just keep him at the wing though (although a switch to right wing could go a long way in helping his offense).

Yeah, I'd try him out at defence and see how he'd play there. He started the breakout a few times yesterday and looked awfully good at it.

Sloth Slothersons*

Just like Hall, I see him being better off as a winger. I guess they could try it (not right now obviously).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In about 3 years--You will see a duo of Maggs and Lander that will be a killer.

We on this board love to RUSH RUSH RUSH and do not give much thought to proper development

For the past 4 years this place has been all over Gagner and pissed off that he is not a pts a game player yet. This year looks like he has turned a corner. HE was taken 6th over all and has scored the 2nd most pts in his draft class and we still complain.

For me I think tht some people here do not understand what proper development of players is

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

We on this board love to RUSH RUSH RUSH and do not give much thought to proper development

For the past 4 years this place has been all over Gagner and pissed off that he is not a pts a game player yet. This year looks like he has turned a corner. HE was taken 6th over all and has scored the 2nd most pts in his draft class and we still complain.

For me I think tht some people here do not understand what proper development of players is

I have absolutely no problem with Gagner, in fact I hope we keep him around. This is simply a proposal. Just based on the centerman having the most defensive responsibility, and Paajarvi being naturally better as a two-way player than Gagner IMO. Gagner could play the wing and be able to free wheel a bit more and be criticized less for his defensive ability (improving but still behind where we would like in year 6).

But you're free to over react and say that I'm giving Gagner a hard time if you like, although you may just be putting words in my/other people's mouths.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have absolutely no problem with Gagner, in fact I hope we keep him around. This is simply a proposal. Just based on the centerman having the most defensive responsibility, and Paajarvi being naturally better as a two-way player than Gagner IMO. Gagner could play the wing and be able to free wheel a bit more and be criticized less for his defensive ability (improving but still behind where we would like in year 6).

But you're free to over react and say that I'm giving Gagner a hard time if you like, although you may just be putting words in my/other people's mouths.

You are fairly new here. Last season some people were suggesting we might get a 2nd round and a prospect for Gagner and we all over him at not developing quickly enough.

For me both Lander and MPS are the same way. Lander could turn into Stoll very easily. We have Centers through out the oilers system without moving a guy to a new position

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

For me once, they get developed that will be a very good depth at center--we jsut need some physical big bodies around them

calvinguy

Sep 12, 2010
Every couple months someone suggests this. It won't happen, mainly because he cannot win face offs.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Like him best as a winger. He doesn't make enough happen with the puck to be a centreman plus all the obvious other issues.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

No its the fact that besides a 25 game stretch to start this season he has been a player who hasnt progressed in 5 seasons and it actually seems that his offensive creativity had regressed. Not to mention that he still makes constant mistakes like he did last night that gave the Canucks 2 goals.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
For me both Lander and MPS are the same way. Lander could turn into Stoll very easily. We have Centers through out the oilers system without moving a guy to a new position

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

For me once, they get developed that will be a very good depth at center--we jsut need some physical big bodies around them

Why not do that at C in 2013/14? Freeing Horc's $5.5M could add so much flexibility for FAs.

I believe a big part of the improvement PRV has shown this season is he is playing a much more physical game. He has the requisite height - while 6'3" isn't gigantic, it is tall enough. Maybe he could add 20 pounds over the off-season and become one of those big bodies this team needs.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Future-Future

Hall-RNH-Ebs
power forward-Gagner-Yak
Paajarvi-Lander-Harti
depth player-Smithson/VV-Brown/Petrell

:dunno:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You are fairly new here. Last season some people were suggesting we might get a 2nd round and a prospect for Gagner and we all over him at not developing quickly enough.

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

Early in this season a lot of posters called paajarvi a bust(where even a thread about him), they even thought he was so bad that he would be back in europe next season(his third season)!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad