Confirmed with Link: MAF traded to Chicago for Hakkarainen

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
This Knights fan’s take:

“Fleury had the trade list - shit….SUBMITTED it - and knew based on previous talks with the Knights front office that becoming a Chicago Blackhawk was a real possibility.

The Vezina award is great - don’t get me wrong - but if a guy is up there in years and makes the mental errors Fleury did at the point at which they occurred, a team will look at his years and his salary, assess positional strength within the organization, and unless the team is nowhere near a Cup and therefore open to keeping a guy so he can retire there - finally make the move beneficial to the team based upon contract clauses and previous conversations with other GMs and that player.

Fleury wanted a deal which left open the possibility of a trade to the Hawks. The Golden Knights want a Cup, and brain farts between the pipes aren’t compatible to those goals.

I would have preferred he didn’t get the memo from Twitter, but so did 95% of the Seattle Kraken inaugural roster.

Lehner is 6 years younger, won 2 Jennings awards and across career, has a BETTER save average.

The Golden Knights want a Cup. Fleury’s not looking as compatible with it as Lehner. If there were a Colorado for him to be Bourque’d to, it would be nice, but Tampa’s got their guy and the world keeps turning.”

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
The hype was so big regarding Fleury being available during expansion, that I think many new hockey fans in Vegas thought we were getting the best player in the league.

Then, playing for the Cup during the first year, just cemented this Cult of Personality regarding MAF and casual VGK fans.

Reactions: Nighthock

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The hype was so big regarding Fleury being available during expansion, that I think many new hockey fans in Vegas thought we were getting the best player in the league.

Then, playing for the Cup during the first year, just cemented this Cult of Personality regarding MAF and casual VGK fans.

It's also another example of what good marketing can do. They brought this on themselves the way they've covered him the past four years.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Telling him he would retire a Knight and giving him that extension was really stupid.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
So many soccer moms on Twitter hopping off the VGK bandwagon. Good riddance. See ya.

Those fans would have jumped off the bandwagon as soon as the team goes bad. So the sooner the better for these type of fans.
I think they were going to stay on as long as Fleury was still a Knight. They really are Fleury fans more than they are Knight fans. By trading him the team is basically giving those fans the middle finger.

Yes they would have jumped off eventually, but I think it would have been after he retired.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
A couple of women I know have told me something similar. “OMG how could they trade Fleury? Why?” They were clearly upset about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad