Confirmed with Link: MAF traded to Chicago for Hakkarainen

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Mikael Hakkarainen in shambles being called absolutely nothing.

Had to be done, but still very sad to see. Wonder if Flower retires.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Evaluating Marc-André Fleury's options: Retirement, a Penguins reunion or a new path with the Blackhawks?

A source close to Fleury described him as “totally shocked.” Another source said Fleury “doesn’t want to play there,” though stressing that the sentiment had nothing to do with the Blackhawks organization but rather Fleury not wanting to uproot his family for an unfamiliar locale.

Another, both sources said, stemmed from a conversation Fleury had with Vegas owner Bill Foley. That conversation occurred after Foley blocked a proposed trade between the Golden Knights and Penguins that would have reunited Fleury with his original franchise.

VegasKnightlife

Aug 20, 2017
Sad day, but probably the right move. I really don't like that Fleury found out on Twitter assuming that is true.

McPhee and Kelly M really need to handle things like this better. Will miss Fleury, he gave it his all here.

Haguerbomb

HOCKEY BELONGS IN THE DESERT
Oct 5, 2019
Watched the McCrimmon press conference and Fleury didn't want to play anywhere but Vegas, he was purely a cap casualty... This better be for Eichel.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Would be something if he leaves 6.3 he's owed on the table and retires.

Would be equivalent to signing for 4.9 for three years if he had.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Watched the McCrimmon press conference and Fleury didn't want to play anywhere but Vegas, he was purely a cap casualty... This better be for Eichel.

It's just smart cap anyways. They wasted 5-7 million on the bench every playoff game. This will get Martinez and maybe another decent piece.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Had to be done. I was afraid Foley wouldn't let it happen. Acquiring a #1 center isn't easy so if they can't pull off an Eichel or whoever trade due to lack of assets so be it, they couldn't afford to pay both goalies and play games shorthanded and have zero cap flexibility for another season.

Like most people I thought Fleury was finished and didn't like the goalies selected in the expansion draft. He had 2 fantastic seasons out of 4 and for that I will give him credit. I still don't trust him to get through 4 rounds in the playoffs without blowing up and am relieved it wasn't Panda that was let go instead. No excuses for him now. Better show up to camp in shape this year.

Reactions: Pia8988

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I different view on the Twitter thing, looking at it from McK's perspective:

First thing Flower's agent did was to post that Flower needs to talk with his family about his future in hockey. The idea that Fleury may retire wasn't very thinly veiled in that comment.

Had Vegas let Fleury know they were negotiationg this trade, his agent would surely have poisoned the well with a comment like this. Does Chicago want the humiliation of agreeing to take on $7M just for the player to retire over playing for them?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I different view on the Twitter thing, looking at it from McK's perspective:

First thing Flower's agent did was to post that Flower needs to talk with his family about his future in hockey. The idea that Fleury may retire wasn't very thinly veiled in that comment.

Had Vegas let Fleury know they were negotiationg this trade, his agent would surely have poisoned the well with a comment like this. Does Chicago want the humiliation of agreeing to take on $7M just for the player to retire over playing for them?

Vegas got nothing. If he retires, Vegas still gets nothing and MAF loses $6m.

I'll miss MAF, won't miss his cap hit or Walsh though.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think MAF was great and after he retires I'd love for him to be a par of the VGK organization and I'll be cheering for him like heck on January 8th if he reports. However (and I recognize Lehner is a crapshoot) this was the right move. Wish it were handled better, but it is a business, and we were lucky to beat Colorado and would of been whupped by TBL. Frankly, the same people saying they'll never think the same of VGK would be screaming fire the coach and blow up the team if MAF gave in to Father Time, and they'll be jumping up and down if we win.

Hope we can add some pieces but I think we will regret mortgaging the farm for Eichel. Real concerned about his health and whether he'll go back to what he was. I think we will regret getting him down the line big-time. Would not mind Zibinejad, though, I have watched him develop for years, think he'll be cheaper than Eichel and he'd really thrive here.

In any case, I think the West is going to be the weakest division we've seen in years, so I think there is absolutely no rush to do anything at this point.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
They really need to acquire Jack, Evgeny or Mika now. It really has to be one of those 3 to make the most of this move.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Our fan base is livid right now and honestly can’t blame anyone for feeling that way.

Livid is too much to understand. I understand sad but this is a solid move.

The livid is the result of over a year of Walsh using Twitter and fanning the flames of casual fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad