Madden 17 XBox1 PS4

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Pulled an 87 overall Adrian Peterson out of a reward pack. Sold him for 80K and now can do pretty much whatever the hell I want. I've been completing some of the man of the month sets. I really hope NHL sets are similar to these because that will actually keep me playing the game.

Also, it's amazing how every player who is assigned to a team(not a free agent) has at least decent value on the market. You can sell bronze cards for 700-900 easily, silvers for 1500-2000, and gold for 2000-3000. You're guaranteed a gold out of every pro pack, and I think 2 silvers. You can get most of your coins back by selling the cards you won't use. It makes opening packs worthwhile at least for the next week or so. I'm going to be opening packs as much as possible and selling the junk until I have at least an all gold squad. Then I'll probably look for a few elites here and there. It's nice being able to craft a team without spending a dime. I personally don't think that's possible in HUT.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I usually only play Ultimate Team on Madden, but I decided to give Career Mode a try last night. The mode works fine and it's pretty good, but am I the only one who couldn't find the damn mode for like 20 minutes? I didn't think to choose Franchise Mode and then change my role to player until I looked it up online. That doesn't seem very user friendly to me. I'm sure most Madden veterans knew that without much thought, but it was awfully confusing to me as someone who was trying to play Career Mode for the first time in 6 years or so.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Ah, the freezing/kicking you back to main screen after a game is back.

Didn't happen till year 2.

Froze before draft, and kicked me out after week 1 game.

There are some decent UDFA/guys with no draft grade gems.

Drafted a 6'6 265 TE in the 7th round. Awareness is at 50, but his speed is 85, catching 83, spec catch 87, jumping 88 and catching in space 88. Throw it high and he gets the ball over Earl Thomas/Kam with no issues.
Quite a few UDFA with overalls in the low 70's and very good certain attributes.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
LOL so I see some found some glitches.

Didn't know you could edit any player in Franchise. From Height, ratings and potential.

Been using that to tweak other teams rosters(fairly). So no more starting some 32 year old plug over your high first rounder pick because of one overall point.

Thankfully I haven't found any glitches of note, yet, though I play exclusively offline.

I love being able to edit everyone in franchise. Seemed like last year I always had ~6 guys with the last name of Phillip on my roster and 3/4 of my draft picks went to Michigan State. At least now I can give some variety to things. I could change the colleges for players on my team last year, but not the names and not players on other teams...so now instead of 75% of the league coming from Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, and Alabama 75% of the league comes from Montana, Penn State, Colorado State, UCLA, & Wyoming :P

Last edited:

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Wow this game is a major improvement over 16. I love how fluid the receivers are once you throw the ball. No more is it throw and see what happens, you have complete control over the route running, and I'm having a blast gaining body positioning on db's. Haven't seen any glitches yet, but so far this game has been well worth buying.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Wow this game is a major improvement over 16. I love how fluid the receivers are once you throw the ball. No more is it throw and see what happens, you have complete control over the route running, and I'm having a blast gaining body positioning on db's. Haven't seen any glitches yet, but so far this game has been well worth buying.

Yup. Guys like Dez Bryant/Devante Parker can overmatch smaller CB's(finally).

One thing I've come to notice is that my defense on zone coverage still is very slow(mentally), even with guys with 85+ Zone attributes and decent awareness. Like they don't break for the ball till the receiver catches it in the short/medium passes.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I will definitely give the game credit for making the receiving game much better. It quickly became evident that having an Antonio Brown didn't just mean that he'd drop fewer passes than other receivers, he makes catches he has no business making...just like the real Antonio Brown. He's much more of a weapon than in previous years.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
The things keeping this game from being excellent are (A) inconsistent run blocking and (B) garbage drops from WR.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The things keeping this game from being excellent are (A) inconsistent run blocking and (B) garbage drops from WR.

How's your offensive line ratings?

With Dallas, I get great run blocking, consistently. Tougher against better run stopping teams of course.
With Miami, I need to pitch it out wide to get any decent yardage. It's suicide to run between the tackles.

Yea, there are some drops that piss me off. Especially when someone like Landry has butter fingers when someone is within 5 yards of him.

I was having an issue stopping the CPU run game (giving up 5-7 yards a carry on average) till I started playing as the SS in the box.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
So, I bought the game for my PS3 tonight of the PlayStation Store. I'm downloading the game right now, though with my slow DSL, it will take a while. I need some good settings, not just the CPU/Human settings. The AutoSubs and player fatigues, etc. needs to be included. Any advice will be most welcome.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So, I bought the game for my PS3 tonight of the PlayStation Store. I'm downloading the game right now, though with my slow DSL, it will take a while. I need some good settings, not just the CPU/Human settings. The AutoSubs and player fatigues, etc. needs to be included. Any advice will be most welcome.

They still make it for PS3? You might be hard pressed to find sliders. You can try Operationsports.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
How's your offensive line ratings?

With Dallas, I get great run blocking, consistently. Tougher against better run stopping teams of course.
With Miami, I need to pitch it out wide to get any decent yardage. It's suicide to run between the tackles.

Yea, there are some drops that piss me off. Especially when someone like Landry has butter fingers when someone is within 5 yards of him.

I was having an issue stopping the CPU run game (giving up 5-7 yards a carry on average) till I started playing as the SS in the box.

Run blocking in his game is terrible. Regardless of who you use.

You need to basically cheese to run well. Go with HB Stretch or 0 1 Trap. Most other stuff doesn't work too often if they jump the snap.

HB Base CAN work out of certain formations.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Run blocking in his game is terrible. Regardless of who you use.

You need to basically cheese to run well. Go with HB Stretch or 0 1 Trap. Most other stuff doesn't work too often if they jump the snap.

HB Base CAN work out of certain formations.

I guess I have to disagree.

I haven't used those two run plays yet, and I usually average over 6 yards a carry with Elliott.
Combined with Morris, who becomes a wrecking ball when the defense is tired, I average over 150 yards a game on All-Madden, with no sliders tweaked.
I have success with Dives, draws, counters and tosses.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I guess I have to disagree.

I haven't used those two run plays yet, and I usually average over 6 yards a carry with Elliott.
Combined with Morris, who becomes a wrecking ball when the defense is tired, I average over 150 yards a game on All-Madden, with no sliders tweaked.
I have success with Dives, draws, counters and tosses.

Whenever I run a draw out of the shotgun, its a high snap, and the play gets blown up. Every. single. time. I don't get it really since the center snaps it fine on a shotgun pass (I use the Raiders btw).

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
All I play is franchise. Be a pro mode is way to easy. win the super bowl every year. Break every record.

Ya basically what I do to keep up with football enough so I can talk about it come superbowl time. I catch a game or 2 regular season too but I just don't have time and i'm not a fantasy football guy so Madden helps me keep track of teams and who is where and another decent game.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Anyone in Franchise mode see a team move?

2018 the Chargers moved to Mexico City and are now the Conquistadors.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Tbh I don't understand the point of fumbles in Madden. Unless I truck someone or get trucked with the joystick hit, seems like it's just in there to make the game random.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Tbh I don't understand the point of fumbles in Madden. Unless I truck someone or get trucked with the joystick hit, seems like it's just in there to make the game random.

Are you saying that a guy like Matt Jones should never fumble in Madden? On defense you can also use the "strip" button. RB is also "ball protect" so I am not so sure that it is always random.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
You know what's sad about the PS3 version? Until the patch 1.01, the touchback was sent to the TWENTY YARD LINE instead of the 25! *shakes head in despair* I have to restart my offline franchise because of that. I found some sliders and did some modifications.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I've never successfully used the strip button and I press it all the time. It's a sham.

Only time it has worked for me is when my QB fumbled and a DT picked up the ball.
I stripped the ball from him. Other than one play, the rest resulted in a broken tackle.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Is the catching system in Madden 17 the same as 16 (A, X, Y for whatever catch on XB1)? I hate the catching in 16. Sometimes you run a simple curl and the wide open guy just drops it. Other times you can bomb it down the field, hold Y for aggresive catch, and your player will jump over the body of the defender and make some miracle one handed grab while being flipped over in the air. It's ridiculous.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Is the catching system in Madden 17 the same as 16 (A, X, Y for whatever catch on XB1)? I hate the catching in 16. Sometimes you run a simple curl and the wide open guy just drops it. Other times you can bomb it down the field, hold Y for aggresive catch, and your player will jump over the body of the defender and make some miracle one handed grab while being flipped over in the air. It's ridiculous.

There are still different types of catches, but it is much better balanced than 16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad