Macster's Mock Draft

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
Macster's 2006 Mock Draft:

I've added my picks for the second round as well.

First Round

1) Blues- Erik Johnson: Pronger's long term replacement

2) Penguins- Johnathan Toews: Can/Has played wing, compliment to Crosby and Malkin

3) Blackhawks- Jordan Staal: He and Ruutu woulc form a great 1-2 punch

4) Capitals- Phil Kessel: A skilled centre to get the puck to Ovechkin

5) Bruins- Niklas Backstrom: Would make a fine addition to the Bruin's forard group, he and Boyes would be the centres of the future

6) Blue Jackets- Peter Mueller: The ideal second line centre to compliment Brule. Paired with Nash, they would be a very big and tough line

7) Islanders- Michael Frolik: Very skilled winger, adds firepower to the Isle's lineup

8) Coyotes- Derek Brassard: Just what the Coyotes need- a playmaking centre with a nose for the net

9) Wild- Bobby Sanguinetti: IMO the Wild blew it with the pick of AJ Thelen. Sanguinetti gives the Wild a blue-chip defensive prospect

10) Panthers- Chris Stewart: Talented winger who scored 37 goals this past season. He would join his brother Anthony Stewart in Florida.

11) Kings- Kyle Okposo: Very skilled winger who's shooting up the rankings playing in the USHL

12) Thrashers- Jiri Tlusty: Would fit in perfectly with what Atlanta's trying to do in the near future

13) Maple Leafs- Nigel Williams: The Buds have a bunch of great young forwards, but other than Coliacovo(sp?) they don't have a solid D prospect, Williams is their man

14) Canucks- James Sheppard: A guy i have seen many times over the last few years, he is one of the top power forwards in the draft. Potential Bertuzzi replacement down the road perhaps?

15) Lightning- Bryan Little: Very skilled forward who just adds to Tampa's already impressive group of forwards

16) Canadiens- Ty Wishart: Similar to the Leafs in that they have quite a few top forward prospects and few top D prospects. Wishart helps with that, and he brings leadership.

17) Wild- Cory Emmerton: Had 90 points with Kingston of the OHL. Adds much needed offense to the Wild

18) Avalanche- Johnathan Bernier: Top rated goalie, will help the Avs down the road.

19) Ducks- Ondrej Fiala: Flashy centre, compliments Ryan Getzlaf's tough in your face style at centre

20) Sharks- Bryce Swan: San Jose likes to go off the board sometimes and they'll do it again with Swan. He plays for Halifax in the Q, so i might be biased but he has shot up the rankings and is very skilled, would complete an excellent group of forwards in San Jose

21) Rangers- Mike Grabner: Had 36 goals with Spokane this past season. Needs to beef up but is a solid winger

22) Flyers- Cal Clutterbuck: A somewhat off the board pick, his style of play screams Philly. He is a fan favourite, and plays a tough, gritty style. He also scored 35 goals and had 139 PIMS

23) Devils- Yuri Alexandrov: Fourth rated Euro skater, has a bunch of skill and probably would have gone earlier if it wasn't for the Russian transfer agreement. (or lack thereof). With Tretiak taking over the head of the Russian Hockey federation, hopefully a new deal can be completed soon.

24) Flames- Ben Maxwell: Was the top Canadian forward at the recent U-18 championships, he has a ton of offensive upside, but would be a bit of a project. Good fit for the Flames though

25) Capitals- Riku Helenius: With their second first rounder in the draft, the take Helenius who is the top rated Euro goaltender. Kolzig won't be around forever, so Helenius is Olie's long term replacement

26) Sabres- Ivan Vishnevsky: Solid D-Man who likes to play the body, and contributes offense from the blueline. He's a player the Sabres need

27) Blues (from the Hurricanes)- Codey Burki: Talented offensive kid, who would add skill to the Blue's forward corps

28) Stars- Tomas Kana: Skilled Czech centre, fifth overall Euro skater

29) Senators- Mark Mitera: Defensive defenseman, would be a great future D partner with last year's draft choice Brian Lee

30) Red Wings- Brian Strait: Two way D-man who plays for the U-18 NDTP. Has offensive upside.

Second Round

31) Blues- Nick Foligno: Good fit for the Blues, adds scoring and toughness. Darcy Tucker comes to mind for me.

32) Penguins- Brady Calla: The kind of forward the Pens need to compliment the snipers etc.

33) Blackhawks- Artem Ansimov: The Hawks like their Russians, and Ansimov has some skills as evident by his 15G/12A/27PTS in 32GP

34) Capitals-Patrick Berglund: An absolute steal, has size and scoring ability

35) Capitals (BOS)- Ben Shutron: offensive defenseman, something the Caps need in their system

36) Blue Jackets- Kevin Montgomery: Offensive defenseman, he had an impressive U-18 tournament and will be attending OSU next season

37) Ducks (NYI)- Mike Forney: One of the top High School players in the draft. A bit of a project IMO.

38) Flyers (PHO)- Ryan Hiller: I have seen him play many times, he is a very skilled winger and will be looked to as a go-to guy in Halifax next season.

39) Wild- Carl Sneep: Minnesota native, he's a skilled 2-way D-man from Brainerd High School

40) Coyotes (FLA)- Milan Lucic: I've seen him play recently, and I think he has all of the tools to be a solid pro

41) Flyers- Jonas Anhelov: Top rated Euro defenseman after Alexandrov. Adds blueline offense to the Flyers prospect group

42) Thrashers- David Fischer: Solid 2-way D-man, added to a solid group of Thrashers defense prospects

43) Leafs- Ryan White: Similar to Bryan Little, with a little less polish.

44) Sabres (VAN)- Jhonas Enroth: Top Rated Euro Goalie. Biron will most likely be moved, so he can be the eventual backup/competition for Ryan Miller

45) Coyotes (TB)- Matthew Corrente: Offensive D-man from Saginaw of the OHL. I don't know much about him except he offers something the Coyotes need.

46) Canadiens- Blake Geoffrion: Sentimental pick based on his name, but adds skill to the Habs group of young forwards

47) Bruins (EDM)- Joe Ryan: Tough defenseman, as evident by his 202 PIMS with Quebec of the QMJHL

48) Avalanche- Andrei Popov: I don't know anyhing about him, but his stats suggest that he is a good offensive threat to help re-stock the Avs prospect group

49) Capitals (ANA)- Riley Holzapfel: He's a "do-everything" type forward. He plays in all situations and puts up points.

50) Sharks- Mike Weber: Big, tough, D-man who adds to an already impressive group of young San Jose defensemen

51) Rangers- Bobby Hughes: Skilled playmaking centre, had 35G/40A/75PTS with Kingston of the OHL

52) Flyers- Trevor Lewis: High scoring forward, had 35 goals with De Moines of the USHL

53) Devils- Rhett Rakshani: The prototypical Devil- small and skilled

54) Flames- Theo Peckham: Another tough, Sutter style defenseman

55) Predators- Vladimir Zharkov: High scoring Russian winger, maybe he and Radulov can be linemates down the road

56) Sabres- Tomas Marcinko: Could have been taken higher, but has slipt to Buffalo at 56. Had 27 goals in the Slovak junior league

57) Hurricanes- Luke Lynes: a high scoring forward, had 34 goals and 62 points with Brampton of the OHL

58) Islanders (DAL)- Claude Giroux: Another player who seems to have fallen lower than expected, possibly due to his dimunitive size. Adds offense and playmaking ability. Had 39G/64A/103PTS

59) Blackhawks (OTT)- Leland Irving: second rated NA goalie, very skilled, went to the Conference finals with Everett of the WHL.

60) Red Wings- Jesse Joensuu: last season was considered a top pick, has fallen considerably since then but Detroit takes the gamble with the skilled Finn.

Last edited:

NCSENSFAN

Sep 2, 2005
Nice draft, just a heads up the Canes do not have a 1st rd pick they traded it to get Doug Weight.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
Thanks guys, i fixed the errors, but I still think that Frolik would be a better fit for the Isles. Thats just my opinion however. I think that Tlusty and Frolik both bring a similar skill set and that their draft positions are interchangeable.

Any other thoughts?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm likely in the minority on this among Pens fans, but I like Toews for the Pens. His versatility and all around package is more what the Penguins need as opposed to a relatively one dimensional offensive player.

I'm hoping for the Pens to end up with either him or Backstrom.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Just wondering what your thoughts are on Swan and Hillier... you've probably seen them play a lot. And Bodnarchuk too.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
insider said:
Just wondering what your thoughts are on Swan and Hillier... you've probably seen them play a lot. And Bodnarchuk too.

Bryce Swan has really shot up the rankings, mostly because of his strong play near the end of the season. He was out most of the year due to injury, but when he's healthy he is a pretty dominant player. He really needs to fill out and add some muscle. He's like 6"3 or 6"4 but under 200 lbs, so he gets pushed off the puck sometimes. He needs to play a full season to really gauge his abilities.

Ryan Hillier seems to me like more of a playmaker, but he can sure score some pretty goals. I think he will be a late first round, definately second round pick this June. Like almost every prospect, he needs to bulk up.

Andrew Bodnarchuk is a guy that never really impressed me this season. Granted he is young, but he never blew me away with his play. I think maybe next year he will really start to shine and put up some big numbers. I was under the impression that he was an offensive defenseman, but i think under Al McAdam he has played more of a two way style. He IMO takes a lot of bad penalties, but that should go away with maturity.

These are just my thoughts, somebody else could have a different opinion.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Leafs don't have depth on defense? They have Colaiacovo, Bell, White, Harrison, Kronwall, Vorobiev, and Strahlman. Colaiacovo most like will be with the Leafs next year and White and one of Bell, Harrison, and Kronwall will also try to earn a spot. Other then Wellwood, Stajan, and Steen there arn't sure fire offensive players in the system. Williams is the closest forward to making the Leafs. Other then that they have Earl who has potential but is a guy who has to work on his game to make it to the next level. Only way I see the Leafs not taking a forward will be if Little, Tlusty, Frolik are all gone.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
H N I C said:
Leafs don't have depth on defense? They have Colaiacovo, Bell, White, Harrison, Kronwall, Vorobiev, and Strahlman. Colaiacovo most like will be with the Leafs next year and White and one of Bell, Harrison, and Kronwall will also try to earn a spot. Other then Wellwood, Stajan, and Steen there arn't sure fire offensive players in the system. Williams is the closest forward to making the Leafs. Other then that they have Earl who has potential but is a guy who has to work on his game to make it to the next level. Only way I see the Leafs not taking a forward will be if Little, Tlusty, Frolik are all gone.

Good points man. I guess the Buds have quite a few good D prospects. I guess what I was getting at was that they don't have a blue chip D prospect. A clear cut number one after Colaiacovo. But i guess when you put the forward prospect situation into perspective, a forward would make more sense.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
H N I C said:

The Leaf's aren't deep enough ANYWHERE that they can "focus" on a particular position. They should be drafting BPA all the way through this draft.

That being said, I can see a VERY convincing arguement that Little or Sheppard would have been the BPA for that spot.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
kimzey59 said:
The Leaf's aren't deep enough ANYWHERE that they can "focus" on a particular position. They should be drafting BPA all the way through this draft.

That being said, I can see a VERY convincing arguement that Little or Sheppard would have been the BPA for that spot.

Take Little I want the Canucks to draft Sheppard.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
if our 9th and 17th net us sanguinetti and emmerton i'll throw up in my mouth.

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
Chrisd said:
if our 9th and 17th net us sanguinetti and emmerton i'll throw up in my mouth.

The Wild are definately in good position this draft. Regardless of how it pans out, you will come out with 2 quality prospects.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
:biglaugh: :shakehead

Minnesota didn't blow it with Thelen. I hate when people say that. It's not all about points you know?

Minnesota will probably take Okposo and then a defenseman with their second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad