Recalled/Assigned: Mackenzie Skapski returning to the AHL today

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Not sure if this was posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rookie-goalie-cherishes-his-shot-with-rangers

On 11 December 2009, Skapski and his teammates at Fraser Valley Bruins, a midget-level hockey team from his hometown of Abbotsford, British Columbia, were driving to a tournament in Williams Lake. Thomas Spencer, who was the assistant coach at the time, described the conditions as a “typical winter day†on the West coast of Canada. It was cloudy with some light snowfall. The driver was going very fast, Spencer recalled, and eventually lost control when the bus hit some black ice.

Except for a few separated shoulders and bruises, the 20 or so other people in the bus were in okay shape.

Skapski was a different story.

“I broke the left side of my face, broke my nose. I had head surgery. I had a blood clot in the back of my head,†he said. “I missed a year of hockey. It was a crazy, crazy time and then I guess there were a lot of question marks whether I would return or play again.â€

Crazy stuff.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Kid did everything he needed to do while he was here. Yeah, it was just Buffalo, but he looked solid. Hopefully he has a ton of confidence playing for the Pack. Wonder if we'll see Lindberg get recalled here in the next day or so.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Still rough around the edges, but it's fixable if he works hard. Very talented, but goalies bust more than anyone else so he shouldn't take for granted that he'll be back. Needs to work his ass off with Benny.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Still rough around the edges, but it's fixable if he works hard. Very talented, but goalies bust more than anyone else so he shouldn't take for granted that he'll be back. Needs to work his ass off with Benny.

This is probably a dumb question, but do the goalies in Hartford get the benefit of Allaire's time and instruction on a fairly regular basis?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is probably a dumb question, but do the goalies in Hartford get the benefit of Allaire's time and instruction on a fairly regular basis?

Yeah for sure. Benny likes his guys to be of a certain demeanor. Calm, collected, focused and technically sound with a good lean frame. I think we'll see the trend continue.

Don't expect any hotheads in the mold of a Rask or Lehner under Benny's tutelage.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Yes, he worked regularly with Talbot in the AHL and even with Missiaen in the ECHL. Did much better with the former than the latter. Missiaen was just a big guy on skates at first, he couldn't move side to side at all. He got better with time, but not better enough to even make the AHL. According to AV, Benny liked him a lot, not sure why.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the feedback, Mikos87 and Beacon.

I always, from the old days, considered good goaltender tandems to be a core part of the Rangers. Giacomin-Villemure, Richter-Vanbiesbrouck are the most obvious. It's really different now, for all teams not just the Rangers. You have one solid #1 (you hope), and the backup plays a distant second fiddle. I digress.

The Rangers seem to have an embarrassment of goalie prospects, including Talbot who I always suspected got some stabilizing attention when he had to go into starter mode with Henrik out. After a few games, he seemed to become more aware of his position. Made me think he got some just in time expert coaching he needed.
I realize nothing is guaranteed, but there is evidence of some good development going on. Can't just be coincidence. Very nice to see.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Kid did everything he needed to do while he was here. Yeah, it was just Buffalo, but he looked solid. Hopefully he has a ton of confidence playing for the Pack. Wonder if we'll see Lindberg get recalled here in the next day or so.

Doubt there's any room for Lindberg on the roster--Lundqvist was activated off the LT IR and St Louis is getting closer to coming back according to AV.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...enators_st._louis_expected_to_resume_skating/

Plus (also according to Gross), the Rangers are only allowed 2 more call-ups from the AHL (without it being an emergency, I think).

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Doubt there's any room for Lindberg on the roster--Lundqvist was activated off the LT IR and St Louis is getting closer to coming back according to AV.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...enators_st._louis_expected_to_resume_skating/

Plus (also according to Gross), the Rangers are only allowed 2 more call-ups from the AHL (without it being an emergency, I think).

The $ space is actually there now as McKenzie is being sent down (Miller and Fast were apparently already sent down and called up as paper transactions if Rangers fall out of POs - God forbid - and Pack still in it). Over 880.000 in annual space left. However, leaving only two roster spots for possible callups might not be advisable until there are only 5-6 games left. I see both Lindberg and McIllraith getting called up then if it is possible. Maybe also Klingberg (not all at once though!).

BoWmEn

Canadian Rangers Fan
Mar 10, 2012
Ontario
I don't think I've seen him stop smiling since he was brought up. I can totally picture him during a game smiling the whole time while making the save, lol.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The $ space is actually there now as McKenzie is being sent down (Miller and Fast were apparently already sent down and called up as paper transactions if Rangers fall out of POs - God forbid - and Pack still in it). Over 880.000 in annual space left. However, leaving only two roster spots for possible callups might not be advisable until there are only 5-6 games left. I see both Lindberg and McIllraith getting called up then if it is possible. Maybe also Klingberg (not all at once though!).

we have 4--that tweet that reported that was wrong, because the 2 call ups prior were before the trade deadline

EDIT: I remain correct:

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=48&f_team_id=307

The last recalled player was Oscar Lindberg on February 24th. He was returned 1 day later. Skapski was pulled up way before the deadline

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

The Rangers are not going to re-call anyone, unless there is an injury. And they certainly aren't going to call up two of their most important Wolfpack players to sit in the stands while Hartford is in a playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad