Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes, Category 1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Who was saying that there was no chance DSP played a game in the playoffs and was bragging when he didn’t get called up at the end of the season?

LOL.

Certain players bring out certain aspects of a team. It happens all the time in sports. I think DSP is one of those guys — in the playoffs.

Happy he’s here. I’ve been advocating it since the loffs started. Wish it wasn’t at Oshie’s expense, but it is what it is.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't think DSP is going to be the savior. But this team needs a shot in the arm, and maybe he can provide that for them. What we need from him is to cut the stupid plays and drive the net hard. Get on Mrazek's face and hit their defense every chance you get, their guys are dropping like flies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
You mean project B’s rookie coaching gig, the season before The Great Selloff, the season of too many men penalties ( starting in preseason), when Calle was tabbed to be an enforcer and lazy Lang openly brushed off the coach on the bench? That season?

Ahhhhh, good times!

I was a STH back then, and the VC made a healthy profit in adult beverage sales as a result.

Haha. That was a Jagr “led” team. I think that series went six, though.

I’m talking the Ovechkin era sweep at the hands of the ‘Ning. Pretty sure they employed a similar trap and had BB and the boys completely befuddled. They had no clue how to deal with it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It’s not like the Caps are the first talented team to be trapped by an opponent. In a way it’s even flattering.

Come to think of it weren’t we trapped to death - and ended up running around like chickens with our heads cut off - when Tampa Bay swept us back in the day?

Carolina isn't playing the trap. They're primary forecheck is a 2-1-2, which isn't the trap. They're just executing it well, skating faster, and getting good support from their F3 on the zone entries so it feels like the trap at times.

The Lightning played a combination of 2-1-2 and 1-3-1 (really a 0-1-3-1) under Boucher when the swept the Caps. The 1-3-1 wasn't a prototypical 1-2-2 trap of the New Jersey Devils heyday, but it was a hyper-conservative neutral zone scheme. Boudreau could handle the 1-3-1 pretty effectively (and actively mocked it during their regular season match ups, even before the Flyers did). But he was completely unable to prepare the Capitals for the two wildly different forechecks that the Lightning would throw at him. The Caps were expecting the time for a 1-3-1, and suddenly two Lightning forwards would be bearing down on the D as the forwards were already flying through the neutral zone, which led to D turnovers.

Reactions: Bananas

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Penguins are toast. Their key players who are already injury prone are getting old too. On top of that they just got swept and their 'rebuild', 're-tool' or whatever you like to call it is going to be on the hands of a moron whose Stanley Cup these days is dealing with Tom Wilson.

Let them have their fun. I doubt they'll have much more for the next few years than cheering against us.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Carolina isn't playing the trap. They're primary forecheck is a 2-1-2, which isn't the trap. They're just executing it well, skating faster, and getting good support from their F3 on the zone entries so it feels like the trap at times.

The Lightning played a combination of 2-1-2 and 1-3-1 (really a 0-1-3-1) under Boucher when the swept the Caps. The 1-3-1 wasn't a prototypical 1-2-2 trap of the New Jersey Devils heyday, but it was a hyper-conservative neutral zone scheme. Boudreau could handle the 1-3-1 pretty effectively (and actively mocked it during their regular season match ups, even before the Flyers did). But he was completely unable to prepare the Capitals for the two wildly different forechecks that the Lightning would throw at him. The Caps were expecting the time for a 1-3-1, and suddenly two Lightning forwards would be bearing down on the D as the forwards were already flying through the neutral zone, which led to D turnovers.

Carolina has 5 people in the neutral zone for half the game. If that's not the trap, I don't know what is.

Nothing wrong with doing it either. It's certainly working.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Carolina has 5 people in the neutral zone for half the game. If that's not the trap, I don't know what is.

Nothing wrong with doing it either. It's certainly working.
Carolina plays the 2-1-2 spread as their default option. Two forecheckers attack with the F1 attacking the D with the puck and the F2 trying to take away the D-to-D pass. If they have no chance at contesting a puck, they'll drop back and take a more conservative approach, but that's standard.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Finally, but he’s only a spark plug.

Only if he plays better than in Hershey. He was the slowest guy in Hershey and didn't take the body at all. Let's hope something changes if he plays in a game.

Walker, on the other hand, beings speed, penalty killing, some decent hands., is always a spark plug, and even though he's small he plays a physical game.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I admit. The Oshie injury has taken it out of me for this playoff series. I turned on g4 in time to see the Canes celly on their opening goal. I turned it off and didn't watch another minute of it. Very likely I wont watch tomorrow night. I hope DSP scores a hatty but a killer turnover is more likely.

Someone other than 8, 19 and 44 needs to come play and I am not really seeing it. One thing that hasn't changed is that the Caps are still a lousy favorite.

Reactions: Sam Spade

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Walker, on the other hand, beings speed, penalty killing, some decent hands., is always a spark plug, and even though he's small he plays a physical game.
There's a guy in Hershey who would be a good fit for this series. Carolina's team is full of guys like him. I'd say Stephenson too but he's gotten soft. Walker has speed, energy & edge to his game. He's the ideal 4th liner these days. If only he could finish.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
DSP needs to use his big body and Run the goalie. He’s been to hot and making being scared will get him off his game.

Actually we haven’t been able to score on him since he faked a concussion on the 5 min major PP

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Ah yes, Caps won't get discount from DSP after offending him.

Dude who was not wanted for free by any of the 31 teams has no business being offended about anything. He should count his blessings if anybody offers him a league minimum and maybe look into eating less and working out more throughout the summer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Only if he plays better than in Hershey. He was the slowest guy in Hershey and didn't take the body at all. Let's hope something changes if he plays in a game.

Thanks for the Hershey report, clear and concise as always. At least he has racked up points. Can you give a best guess of his average Bear TOI.... maybe high TOI spells in better shape.

Here is my take. Without a new wrinkle in our PP, Orpik heroics... we are damn close to being down 3-1 if not out of it completely. We kinda suck without DSP, and won a cup with DSP, with almost the exact same team. We may win but look sloppy for 50 minutes. Hockey is so random of a sport, it's ok to sometimes not overthink things. Throw it and see if it sticks again. The only commitment is 1 shift if its bad.

If our playoff 4 was a great line, I wouldn't want to break it up. It's all about line chemistry. So no one said it but DSP lost a kick ass center that he worked great with. I would like Todd to tell his line to feed DSP, and tell DSP to work the slot laterally a la Conno, and storm the net and post up a Dman.

Reactions: racingmoose

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ah yes, Caps won't get discount from DSP after offending him.

Why would they want DSP back? It's past time for a prospect or two to get a chance. You have to keep it fresh and have hungry players to take the next step, I think this was a bit of Tampa's problem. Outside of Cernak it was the same team.

They won't all work out but you can never know what you have unless they get a shot.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Dude who was not wanted for free by any of the 31 teams has no business being offended about anything. He should count his blessings if anybody offers him a league minimum and maybe look into eating less and working out more throughout the summer.
Caps were inconsistent whole year, I doubt slightly fatty DSP would make such a big difference.

Why would they want DSP back?

If he will repeat his impact? Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad