Prospect Info: LW Viktor Neuchev -- Taken 74th overall in 2022

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

11. Viktor Neuchev, LW, 20 (Rochester Americans)
Before the 2022 draft, before the Sabres picked Neuchev, I wrote that he “reminds me a lot of 2021 Sabres second-round pick Alexander Kisakov.” So it didn’t come as a huge surprise to me when they picked him. They look and play a lot alike, with slight builds and individual skill that manifests into impressive finishing sequences. Neuchev, though, is a year younger and has proven a quicker learner in terms of how to best apply their pretty unique games in the AHL. He’s a midrange marksman with a slick, effortlessly quick release. But the finesse required to shoot like he does (from anywhere on his body, with the ability to let it go off toe-to-heel or heel-to-toe) is layered throughout his catches, carries and handles, too. He’s particularly dangerous off of the rush because of his quick hands and quicker release. He’s the kind of player who projects as a power-play shot threat who could really pop with the right linemates/usage. It’s going to take some patience, though. He torched the junior-level MHL two years ago and has been productive for his age, experience level and usage (only about 11-12 minutes a night with Rochester) in the AHL this year. While I think there’s a chance he tops out as a AAAA offensive guy in the AHL who never quite makes it as a 5-foot-11 offensive NHL winger, he’s got some talent and he’s fun to watch.

Reactions: Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20240313_003832_Instagram.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just doing some tinkering while waiting for something to upload on the laptop and noticed something regarding D+2 guys in the AHL this year:

1713799971230.png

So that's 5-on-5 primary points. Those are mostly all some well known names - 8 guys were first rounders, 3 were 2nd rounders - and there is Neuchev just hanging with Kemell and Kasper (in fewer games played).

Do. Not. Sleep. On. This. Kid.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Just doing some tinkering while waiting for something to upload on the laptop and noticed something regarding D+2 guys in the AHL this year:

View attachment 857333

So that's 5-on-5 primary points. Those are mostly all some well known names - 8 guys were first rounders, 3 were 2nd rounders - and there is Neuchev just hanging with Kemell and Kasper (in fewer games played).

Too bad Buffalo will be forced to sleep on guys like him and Ostlund because they have redundant skill sets to guys already on the team, and there's no space for them. If Adams doesn't make trades this year, we'll start hearing about guys wanting out in 2025/2026.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022

View attachment 857333

We have so much talent in the pipeline best part is we can slow cook em now

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

View attachment 857333

They said he had a 1st round grade and it's hard to dispute Jerry and the boys ability to identify talent, even if I wish a bit more pugnaciousness came with it

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Too bad Buffalo will be forced to sleep on guys like him and Ostlund because they have redundant skill sets to guys already on the team, and there's no space for them. If Adams doesn't make trades this year, we'll start hearing about guys wanting out in 2025/2026.

That's possible. It's also possible they shuffle some of the similar guys up the lineup out in an effort to reshape the team. Also pointing out that while he's not the Sabres top prospect - he might not even be 5th - he shouldn't be a casual addition to any deal based on how his season stacks up with others in his age group.

We have so much talent in the pipeline best part is we can slow cook em now

I suspect by the end of next season, he'll be knocking on the door. His growth from December to now has been excellent. His off-puck work has been noticeable for me, his commitment to the defensive side of the ice and that he competes for pucks. "Puck hunting" is something Appert talks about with Weissbach's game and I can see some of that coming out in Neuchev's game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They said he had a 1st round grade and it's hard to dispute Jerry and the boys ability to identify talent, even if I wish a bit more pugnaciousness came with it

A possible flaw in the analytics to scouting marriage perhaps?

That said, it's hard to look at Neuchev's season and think "hey, this kid is running with guys like Kemell and Lambert yet was sometimes playing with guys like Slaggert and Giroux and Richards" without thinking there is something there.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I suspect by the end of next season, he'll be knocking on the door. His growth from December to now has been excellent. His off-puck work has been noticeable for me, his commitment to the defensive side of the ice and that he competes for pucks. "Puck hunting" is something Appert talks about with Weissbach's game and I can see some of that coming out in Neuchev's game.
Based on what Appert said earlier in the season, him getting used to living in America away from him family, in a place where he can't speak the language, was just as big of a challenge as the on-ice stuff. He may still have a long way to go there, and that could mean even more upside since Appert seemed to think (if memory serves) that it was impacting his game a bit.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
A possible flaw in the analytics to scouting marriage perhaps?

That said, it's hard to look at Neuchev's season and think "hey, this kid is running with guys like Kemell and Lambert yet was sometimes playing with guys like Slaggert and Giroux and Richards" without thinking there is something there.
Part of the issue is how strict they are with BPA and the truculent players were either picked before them ie Cutter Gauthier or were in a lower tier ie L'Heureux

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad