LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Aho seems like the perfect guy for someone who's being picked on the 2nd round. There have been a lot of doubts and he was never much hyped in Finland either coming into his draft year being outshadowed by Puljujärvi (who's his team mate). But wow, he really seems to light it up!

One can imagine Finland's WJC team if Rantanen and Kapanen both become available. Could be the best forward group (considering the highly touted -98 born talents will be included) in the championships.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Just noticed how well Aho is doing while checking Pujuljarvi's stats.

This kid isn't getting enough hype. Solid pick for the Canes.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Just noticed how well Aho is doing while checking Pujuljarvi's stats.

This kid isn't getting enough hype. Solid pick for the Canes.

Definitely underrated, he was a young draft pick and his IQ is sky-high and he seems to be strong on his skates so hes not as easy to push as it looks. I think he'll be a key asset in the WJC

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
He's been producing at an amazing rate lately. Currently 12th in the league in scoring and 7th in goals (with less games played than those tied with him). I don't think many expected this strong of an early season from Aho.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Looked really bad but looks like he got "only" a concussion. Could have been a lot worse. We know better tomorrow.

Last edited:

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Yep, they confirmed that there are no fractured/broken vertebrae. Some article mentioned four weeks as an estimated recovery period and barring any unforeseen complications (like concussion issues or torn muscles/tendons/ligament requiring surgery) it seems like a good estimation to me. Nerve damage is also a realistic possibility and could prolong healing, especially if his sense of touch is limited in the hands.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Some article mentioned four weeks as an estimated recovery period
If this were the case, would it be a good or a bad thing for the WJC lineup? Would he have time to get adequately back in the game and be the impact player that we know he is capable of being? I sure hope so.

I hate that these injuries need to always happen to team Finland (adult or junior) before big competitions. Let's hope Aho gets back in the game quickly and no-one else (Pulju, Laine, Rantanen...) gets hurt. I love watching this guy play and want to see the full awesome lineup in Helsinki :rant:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If this were the case, would it be a good or a bad thing for the WJC lineup? Would he have time to get adequately back in the game and be the impact player that we know he is capable of being? I sure hope so.
If the recovery estimate truly is four weeks, he may make it back in time... but it's going to be an extremely close shave. Should he be fit enough to play a preliminary game or two before the main event begins, he should be fine.

Perhaps even coming in cold would not be that bad, since our first game is an (supposedly, knock on wood) easy one vs. Belarus. But since the skater limit for the WJC is 20 instead of 22 as is the case with the men's tournament, there'll be no room for him if there's any kind of doubt whether he'll play by then or not.

Simply put, there is a chance he gets well in time, but no time to spare with that estimate. It's exactly on the outer limit.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I hope he recovers without a hitch...love the kid. Feel like we got a good one for sure. Don't rush him, his long term health is most important.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
If the recovery estimate truly is four weeks, he may make it back in time... but it's going to be an extremely close shave.

That's why I wouldn't consider four weeks as a diagnosis or anything, it does sound like the estimation was made because it would allow for Aho to join the WJC lineup. If someone confirms that no surgery will be needed then he should be fine after the doctors deem him ok from concussion-related symptoms, though four weeks could be pushing it depending on how deep the tissue damage goes. Any mention of nerve damage would be a red flag here (though minor damage will have happened almost inevitably which should heal over time), but I'm just glad he's able to function in normal life and even continue as a hockey player based on what's been revealed so far.

FinHockey

Sex Metal Barbie
Nov 10, 2009
Finland
I hope he recovers without a hitch...love the kid. Feel like we got a good one for sure. Don't rush him, his long term health is most important.

I don't think this is the type of injury where you can rush the player much, and his father is part of the management of his Liiga team so he will most likely be treated with extra care.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
With his allround game I consider him being the most important player of our team (after Rantanen if he can join the team).

Such a smart and creative player.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
With his allround game I consider him being the most important player of our team (after Rantanen if he can join the team).

Such a smart and creative player.
Agreed. I thought the same when I heard about the injury. Important PK player, good defensively and can do things offensively very well.

Last edited:

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I'm happy for Carolina fans.. They deserve to hit on one of these guys more so than just about any team in the league.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Got off with a scare. Kärpät reported that he should be practicing this week already.

Also means his WJC is not in jeopardy.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
His linemates (Puljujärvi, Mika Niemi) have been scoreless since Aho got injured. Niemi was the top scorer of the League before Aho's injury. Neither of them has scored a single point since Aho got injured.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
His linemates (Puljujärvi, Mika Niemi) have been scoreless since Aho got injured. Niemi was the top scorer of the League before Aho's injury. Neither of them has scored a single point since Aho got injured.

Wow that's an interesting stat. It'll be interesting to see if they pick up where they left off when he returns.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Back to lineup tonight.

4 losses in 4 games for Kärpät when Aho didn't play.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
It can be a good thing to miss some games because this year he will be play a lot of games: FEL, CHL, WJC (and maybe EHT and WCH).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad