LW Sebastian Aho (2015, 35th, CAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
He's surprisingly strong on his skates for a small guy. Maybe went too early but definitely a good pick up. Can't think many weaknesses of his. Maybe finishing ability could be better but then again he scored the championship winning goal in Liiga past season.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
He's surprisingly strong on his skates for a small guy. Maybe went too early but definitely a good pick up. Can't think many weaknesses of his. Maybe finishing ability could be better but then again he scored the championship winning goal in Liiga past season.
Really? I think he is very agile skater who accelerates well but lacks top speed player of his size needs. But of course there's time to improve that aspect before his pick expires.

I don't think that there's any major weaknesses in Aho's game either but he certainly could improve his strength as well as his shot. I would also like to see him going more to dirty areas. He floats too much in perimeter IMO. I also have hard to find any major strengths from his game.

But overall, he is a really good player for his age and he will have bright future ahead. Will he be an NHLer remains to be seen but if nothing else, he should become very impressive player in Europe.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Really? I think he is very agile skater who accelerates well but lacks top speed player of his size needs. But of course there's time to improve that aspect before his pick expires.

Well as someone who watched all his games last season I'll stand by my words. He protects the puck relatively well against bigger guys and I've seen big guys colliding with him in the corner and leaving their feet as a result. My point is that what strength he has he can use it in his game. I'm not saying he's physical player, far from it, but he's one of those little guys who always battle hard.

I agree everything you said about his skating.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Scored 3+1 in the development camp scrimmage

[nhl]832235[/nhl]

He was the best player yesterday. Not worth putting a lot of stock into obviously, but he looks like what the Hurricanes desperately need. A highly skilled winger who can skate well and has a good shot. Hopefully he can bring that to the NHL level.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
He was the best player yesterday. Not worth putting a lot of stock into obviously, but he looks like what the Hurricanes desperately need. A highly skilled winger who can skate well and has a good shot. Hopefully he can bring that to the NHL level.

I think anything less would just scream bust. He's a smallish forward already turned pro. Against kids his own age, he needs to be the best on the ice to hope to be a serviceable 3rd liner at the NHL level.

His NHL-equivalency number this season was 15 points. Considering his age, he projects as a "Tuomo Ruutu". And considering his size, his bust potential is higher than Ruutu's was at draft age.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think anything less would just scream bust. He's a smallish forward already turned pro. Against kids his own age, he needs to be the best on the ice to hope to be a serviceable 3rd liner at the NHL level.

His NHL-equivalency number this season was 15 points. Considering his age, he projects as a "Tuomo Ruutu". And considering his size, his bust potential is higher than Ruutu's was at draft age.

You're exaggerating the effect his stature might have. A 5'11" 175lb 17 year old is not anything tiny like Tolchinsky size.

I don't see how you're drawing a Ruutu comparison based on age either. If you're just going off pre-draft liiga production that seems meaningless.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Tuomo Ruutu? no, more like modern Ville Peltonen.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
I see him as a slower maybe a bit more softheaded Tie Domi, am I the only one or am I up to something here?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Playing his first liiga game tonight after missing nearly a month with "lower body" injury.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Great goal by Aho tonight. Seems like he's flying a bit under the radar currently.

Yeah he has been playing well. Was moved up to the first line and first PK unit after Junttila got injured. Has some really good chemistry with both Niemi and Puljujärvi.

He still looks skinny as hell, needs to add some muscle before getting over to North America.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
A lot of people weren't all that thrilled with Aho pick initially but I think a lot of that was due to the 'unknown quantity' factor. I think 'Canes fans have started to really warm up to him after his play in camp and his continued good play into the season.

I feel he's going to be a very good player for the Hurricanes in time, just needs to add some size and strength, the skill level is there.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Again pretty goal. Damn this guy is underrated. Carolina's scouts knew what they were doing when they picked him.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
A lot of people weren't all that thrilled with Aho pick initially but I think a lot of that was due to the 'unknown quantity' factor. I think 'Canes fans have started to really warm up to him after his play in camp and his continued good play into the season.

I feel he's going to be a very good player for the Hurricanes in time, just needs to add some size and strength, the skill level is there.

Yeah that's definitely the case, not much was out there about him at the time he was picked, and some deemed him a reach just based off scout rankings. I was never against the pick though. The Canes desperately need skilled wingers, and Aho seems to fit that description. Hopefully he continues to produce. Nice goal.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah that's definitely the case, not much was out there about him at the time he was picked, and some deemed him a reach just based off scout rankings. I was never against the pick though. The Canes desperately need skilled wingers, and Aho seems to fit that description. Hopefully he continues to produce. Nice goal.

I always thought the 2nd pick was a pick they could go off the board with and take a risk at. Hanifin falling to us at 5 really set up the 2nd pick to be risky pick.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Second intermission now in Ilves - Kärpät. Aho 1+2 so far, of which 1+1 during the same Kärpät penalty. Quite impressive shorthanded play for a 18-year-old.

In combined now 16 games, 7+6.

Last year he got 13 points in 30 games.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Damn, really impressive numbers. He was a late birthday for last years draft too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad