LW/RW Jesper Bratt - London Knights, OHL (2016, 162nd, NJD)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love the fact that not only for the stat watchers he is looking unbelievable with 29 points so far, but when you watch his games just how good he is everywhere. He is relied on so much in all aspects of the game. He is a big part of the team on the #1 line, a huge part of the PP and a deadly, frequently used penalty killer

Reactions: Blender

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am still very impressed by Bratt. I didn't think he was a fluke when I first saw him play very early on this season. And as said then. I believe Bratt and the Devils are for real. Last night against the Isles just reinforced this for me.

Reactions: My3Sons

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I am still very impressed by Bratt. I didn't think he was a fluke when I first saw him play very early on this season. And as said then. I believe Bratt and the Devils are for real. Last night against the Isles just reinforced this for me.

I like some of their defenders, like Severson and Vatanen, but they still need D in the worst way. Greene has been underwater for a few seasons now and he gets top 4 minutes still.

Reactions: Kitten Mittens

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Officially a 30 point guy now. Unreal story he is

Has the 5th highest point total out of all players drafted from 2016 draft

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Pretty nice pick up. I wonder how high hed go in a redraft? Top 10? 5?
Undersized skilled two way winger....we have no idea what his ceiling is, its so out of nowhere... Is it 45 points, 50? 60... Does he keep this pace, slump or breakout? I would say he goes around 20 in a redraft. This was a very good first round with a lot to like in the second round, hard to see him supplant most of these guys

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Wish he would shot more, has a nice shoot but most of the time he prefers to pass instead of shot. He should've more points if not for Hynes taking him out of the first PP unit. He's incredible in the half-wall, nice playmaker and can snipe when he feels like.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pretty nice pick up. I wonder how high hed go in a redraft? Top 10? 5?
I always hate redrafts this close to the actual draft, because not enough time has passed to even have that discussion. If there were a redraft today though, I'd say probably top 10.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I always hate redrafts this close to the actual draft, because not enough time has passed to even have that discussion. If there were a redraft today though, I'd say probably top 10.

Easily without a doubt... IMO he falls anywhere in the 5-10 range

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Undersized skilled two way winger....we have no idea what his ceiling is, its so out of nowhere... Is it 45 points, 50? 60... Does he keep this pace, slump or breakout? I would say he goes around 20 in a redraft. This was a very good first round with a lot to like in the second round, hard to see him supplant most of these guys

Knowing what we know today, I'm curious to hear the 20 or so players that would be taken before him. Halfway through his rookie season he has proven himself capable of playing top line minutes while also performing on the PP and PK. If you are drafting, this is exactly what you hope for and are lucky to get.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Knowing what we know today, I'm curious to hear the 20 or so players that would be taken before him. Halfway through his rookie season he has proven himself capable of playing top line minutes while also performing on the PP and PK. If you are drafting, this is exactly what you hope for and are lucky to get.
Maybe so, but with that, there are still quite a few guys who may have higher ceilings that I wpuld take.
Not trying to take away from Bratt, he is one of my favourite players from that draft

But for what its worth, I would take
Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, Jost, McAvoy, Chychrun ahead of him without hesitation.
Then there's the next level of guys like Juolevi, Kunin, Nylander, Kyrou, Steel, Thompson, Fabbro that I would still likely take ahead because I think the potential is still as high or higher there. I also base some of my opinions on position, I dont value a guy like Bratt as high as I would a potential top pairing defenseman or a top 6 centre. I would say he has vaulted ahead of a lot of 1st rounders that year, but not most and I value some 2nd rounders to be in that group as well.

Reactions: deflowd

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Easily without a doubt... IMO he falls anywhere in the 5-10 range
Yeah maybe something like

Matthews
Mcavoy
Laine
Keller
Dubois
Tkachuck
Sergachev
Bratt
Pullji

Think im missing someone there and sure thatll change many times in the next couple a months and years

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Maybe so, but with that, there are still quite a few guys who may have higher ceilings that I wpuld take.
Not trying to take away from Bratt, he is one of my favourite players from that draft

Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, Jost, McAvoy, Chychrun ahead of him without hesitation.
Then there's the next level of guys like Juolevi, Kunin, Nylander, Kyrou, Steel, Thompson, Fabbro that I would still likely take ahead because I think the potential is still as high or higher there. I also base some of my opinions on position, I dont value a guy like Bratt as high as I would a potential top pairing defenseman or a top 6 centre. I would say he has vaulted ahead of a lot of 1st rounders that year, but not most and I value some 2nd rounders to be in that group as well.

Bolded are the only ones I think would be unanimously taken before him if the draft were held today. I would put Bratt in the group with Dubois, Puljujarvi, and Chychrun - a case can be made for all of them. I would put Jost in the second group and would be upset if my team passed on Bratt to take any of the guys in that group.

I think you're underselling Bratt's ceiling. It is crazy how he came out of nowhere, but watching him every game, he's consistently one of the most dangerous players on the ice. I would say he is the most creative offensive player on the Devils and I'm excited for what he can become. His defensive game is mature beyond his years too. Obviously I'm biased, but I really think he's going to be something special.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bolded are the only ones I think would be unanimously taken before him if the draft were held today. I would put Bratt in the group with Dubois, Puljujarvi, and Chychrun - a case can be made for all of them. I would put Jost in the second group and would be upset if my team passed on Bratt to take any of the guys in that group.

I think you're underselling Bratt's ceiling. It is crazy how he came out of nowhere, but watching him every game, he's consistently one of the most dangerous players on the ice. I would say he is the most creative offensive player on the Devils and I'm excited for what he can become. His defensive game is mature beyond his years too. Obviously I'm biased, but I really think he's going to be something special.
I unfortunately often get the non-Devils feed to watch the game when they are away from home, and I can say that Bratt gets a ton of praise and recognition from opposing crews these days. At the start of the season it was all "who is this Jesper Bratt guy? Crazy that a 2016 6th rounder is playing in the NHL", and now the talk is all about him being one of our best players and a serious threat that their team has to watch for.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Of that second group there's literally nothing they have done, other than their draft position, that would make me take them over Bratt. And I really don't understand how that's even a thought. Bratt's not a flash in the pan. This is some serious under-selling of Bratt lol

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Kid is simply remarkable. Coming into training camp most thought her wouldn’t even make the AHL. Can’t even think of a comparison of a player with the all-around game he has drafted this late (6th round) and this age (he is a month and a half older than Nolan Patrick).

Sky is the limit.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kid is simply remarkable. Coming into training camp most thought her wouldn’t even make the AHL. Can’t even think of a comparison of a player with the all-around game he has drafted this late (6th round) and this age (he is a month and a half older than Nolan Patrick).

Sky is the limit.
The team said AHL wasn't going to be an option, he was going to London. Of course he wowed everyone in camp and preseason and was never sent anywhere...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad