LW/RW Isak Rosén - Leksands, SuperElit (2021, 14th, BUF)

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Hasn't crushed the league, but for a young guy of his stature, who still needs to add some muscle and maybe height, he's having a very nice rookie AHL season. About 0.5 PPG I think. Lightning quick shot, lightning quick decision making and movement. He's going to score goals in the NHL if he develops, and make a ton of plays.

His skill level is off the charts, I think it's right up there with guys like Kent Johnson, Eklund and Lysell. Not quite the same type of player, but just based on skill level, think he is top end. Skating is amazing. But size and muscle will be an issue, and he seems a bit more hesitant in certain circumstances than those 3. Not suggesting he's quite on their level as an overall prospect, but I honestly don't think he's far behind, in terms of skill and ceiling at least. Those three are a bit ahead of him I think right now in terms of being developed and ready to play at the highest level.

I do question his willingness and ability to move outside of his comfort zone.

Sabres are going to have a ton of very difficult decisions to make within the next 4 years or so. The amount of high ceiling forwards they have in their system atm is insane. I'm not sure where Rosen fits with the rest, but between Savoie, Quinn, Peterka, Ostlund, Kulich, and Rosen, competition for top 6 is going to be brutal.

I think Tuch is having a career year right now, but if 2-3 of these guys reach their potential, Tuch is going to have a hard time keeping a top 6 position, unless they eventually trade him. Skinner even for that matter, all though I suspect he might end up being the first to be moved.

And the way Cozens and Thompson have exploded, breaking out this season and imo clearly the Sabres 1C/2C long term unless something derails things, whatever 4 wingers end up being paired with them are going to have the opportunity to put up some huge numbers. Pretty sure at this point, Savoie and maybe even Kulich will either end up on the wing, bottom 6 centers or traded to another team eventually.

Anyway, Rosen has the fight of his life ahead of him. As good as his prospect competition is, I actually think he might have the 2nd highest overall ceiling and skill level of any of the Sabres top forward prospects, right behind Savoie. But Savoie's size is probably an even bigger issue as he's only like 5'9.

Anyway, if this kid develops his body and continues on his current trajectory, I think the Sabres are looking at a clear top 6 forward with a good chance to be a 1st line guy. I think Ehlers comparisons were pretty spot on. And they seem to have a similar avoidance of contact and muddy corners.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hasn't crushed the league, but for a young guy of his stature, who still needs to add some muscle and maybe height, he's having a very nice rookie AHL season. About 0.5 PPG I think. Lightning quick shot, lightning quick decision making and movement. He's going to score goals in the NHL if he develops, and make a ton of plays.

His skill level is off the charts, I think it's right up there with guys like Kent Johnson, Eklund and Lysell. Not quite the same type of player, but just based on skill level, think he is top end. Skating is amazing. But size and muscle will be an issue, and he seems a bit more hesitant in certain circumstances than those 3. Not suggesting he's quite on their level as an overall prospect, but I honestly don't think he's far behind, in terms of skill and ceiling at least. Those three are a bit ahead of him I think right now in terms of being developed and ready to play at the highest level.

I do question his willingness and ability to move outside of his comfort zone.

Sabres are going to have a ton of very difficult decisions to make within the next 4 years or so. The amount of high ceiling forwards they have in their system atm is insane. I'm not sure where Rosen fits with the rest, but between Savoie, Quinn, Peterka, Ostlund, Kulich, and Rosen, competition for top 6 is going to be brutal.

I think Tuch is having a career year right now, but if 2-3 of these guys reach their potential, Tuch is going to have a hard time keeping a top 6 position, unless they eventually trade him. Skinner even for that matter, all though I suspect he might end up being the first to be moved.

And the way Cozens and Thompson have exploded, breaking out this season and imo clearly the Sabres 1C/2C long term unless something derails things, whatever 4 wingers end up being paired with them are going to have the opportunity to put up some huge numbers. Pretty sure at this point, Savoie and maybe even Kulich will either end up on the wing, bottom 6 centers or traded to another team eventually.

Anyway, Rosen has the fight of his life ahead of him. As good as his prospect competition is, I actually think he might have the 2nd highest overall ceiling and skill level of any of the Sabres top forward prospects, right behind Savoie. But Savoie's size is probably an even bigger issue as he's only like 5'9.

Anyway, if this kid develops his body and continues on his current trajectory, I think the Sabres are looking at a clear top 6 forward with a good chance to be a 1st line guy. I think Ehlers comparisons were pretty spot on. And they seem to have a similar avoidance of contact and muddy corners.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out since they have a collection of players who look like they fit as offensive minded wingers going forward, including two on the team in Peterka and Quinn. Tuch's season has been excellent since he provides defensive coverage for his linemates AND is a capable puck retrieval guy due to his speed, let alone his size. His offense is very much a part of who he has grown into for that top line.

I'm curious how Rosen does in the 2nd half of the year. He's got a lot of mass to put on to make the jump IMO as he needs to be able to work free from being pinned out by larger opponents and we know that isn't going to happen immediately. And that isn't on him alone - Savoie, Kisakov, Ostlund, even Kulich are all going to need to put on muscle as well.

He had a nice tournament, albeit not one where he took charge of the Swedes offense like say Kulich did for the Czechs. That's going to have some wondering at him but for a 19-year old in the AHL, he's doing pretty well. I would say he's probably 1.5 years out from being an NHLer (the rest of this one and next), perhaps a smidge more.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He looks legit. Going to be so tough for him though to break into this team the way it's stacked with forwards now. Really have no clue when or how he would get the opportunity unless they moved some pieces.

Would hate to see him stuck behind a bunch of other players his age, not able to get opportunity. He is so talented.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looks legit. Going to be so tough for him though to break into this team the way it's stacked with forwards now. Really have no clue when or how he would get the opportunity unless they moved some pieces.

Would hate to see him stuck behind a bunch of other players his age, not able to get opportunity. He is so talented.

He's a little behind Kulich in terms of his production and play but he's still only 19. He has time to grow his game and that could shift things above him in the pecking order too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

His second goal that night was just puck luck as his centering feed to Kulich from below the goal line went in off a defenseman. That said, he still had 7 shots on goal and had a rush similar to the goal only 90 seconds into the game. He's starting to come along very nicely as the AHL season winds down.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He's really ramped up in the playoffs. His all-around game has taken a few steps, and his confidence is high.

He's so fast too, and has a NHL shot.

2 goals in the close out game to win the series for Rochester, including the game winner.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He's upping his value these playoffs. Sounds like the kid has been dynamite, which is good to see because with his size and stature- I was worried he'd struggle in the playoffs. Even the AHL playoffs get rough and dirty.

Im not sure Adams is going to put him in any trade proposals like many Sabres fans thought a month ago. He's a blue chipper, and is vibing with a bunch of other young players the Sabres are giddy on. That makes him an even more valuable piece to the Sabres, especially considering his ELC lines up perfectly with when the Sabres will * hopefully* be contending.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Bump. This kid was one of, if not the best player on Rochester nearly every night in the second half of last season. He's been the best player out of a stacked cast of forwards in prospect camp so far. Smart, fast, great shot and plays both ways.

Rosén has gotten a lot of pro game experience and a full off-season of training has him looking very legit. He is gonna challenge for Quinn's spot with the Sabres if he keeps this up going into Training Camp.

I'll admit I was super low on him in his D+1 but man he has been really good and improved so much in the last 8 months. I know our resident prospect watcher in @Chainshot has been singing his praises for awhile now and I think our whole board has finally seen the light.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Scored on a tip today…remains red hot to start the season.

last year I thought he was playing as well if not better than Kulich down the stretch…but Kulich’s stuff was all ending up in the net. Leaving no doubt about his progress this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad