LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That's a really good point, and he held up better than I thought he would, but I still worry about skating, atleast projecting him as league elite rather than good 1st liner. It did make me worry about him and his temperament though. One game and people already disliked him that much, gonna be in for a rough ride dealing with a season of that on smaller ice as a puck carrier.
1erKj2n.png

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I got to say, seeing how Laine did against TC made me feel bit relieved. He had a good game and showed that he can play well against opponent of that caliber.

Team Canada is icing only their B/C-team but it's still the best team on planet. At least on paper. Not a single NHL team has that amount of high end players as that Canadian "C-squad".

In the first half of the game, Laine was outmuscled pretty often. He adapted quickly and came to his own. His effort was 100% and he seemed to elevate his game. His speed didn't seem to be too big of an issue and his glide really looked strong. His decision making in the offensive zone is still "rookie-level" which is to be expected. But he did show some flashes, especially that battle behind Canada net where he stole the puck and created AAA chance.

Overall, I think a lot of the hockey pros saw that Laine can play effectively against top-end competition. I still want to see his acceleration improve.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I got to say, seeing how Laine did against TC made me feel bit relieved. He had a good game and showed that he can play well against opponent of that caliber.

Team Canada is icing only their B/C-team but it's still the best team on planet. At least on paper. Not a single NHL team has that amount of high end players as that Canadian "C-squad".

In the first half of the game, Laine was outmuscled pretty often. He adapted quickly and came to his own. His effort was 100% and he seemed to elevate his game. His speed didn't seem to be too big of an issue and his glide really looked strong. His decision making in the offensive zone is still "rookie-level" which is to be expected. But he did show some flashes, especially that battle behind Canada net where he stole the puck and created AAA chance.

Overall, I think a lot of the hockey pros saw that Laine can play effectively against top-end competition. I still want to see his acceleration improve.

Yup, I was impressed too. Hopefully he can produce in the elimination games, he's a pretty clutch guy so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Washington Capitals picked Ovy in 2004 and Backstrom in 2006.

Go for the best player available. Ovy over Malkin. Ovy before a centerman. Backstrom another year.

Last time Toronto had a tremendous player, his name was Mats Sundin. Make Laine the 1st overall pick and you won't reget it. Matthews is the Ryan Murray of the draft. You will get a talented and responsible player, but not as extraordinary as Laine.

Laine seems to be a player that could break everything. Everything.

Last edited:

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015

Go for the best player available. Ovy over Malkin. Ovy before a centerman. Backstrom another year.

Last time Toronto had a tremendous player, his name was Mats Sundin. Make Laine the 1st overall pick and you won't reget it. Matthews is the Ryan Murray of the draft. You will get a talented and responsible player, but not as extraordinary as Laine.

I couldn't care who get's drafted but really? That's the worst comparison I've ever seen on this board, lol. :help:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Cause they have to make the choice. People dont look at leafs as the losers, they just look at them having an enormous decision that will affect the team for the next decade. Chevy will have the most sound sleep on draft night cause he just takes who drops to him at 2.. doesn't have to have any stress what so ever.

Both will be fine.

I don't see any of the top three striking out with a bust. These guys are too good regardless of who you prefer.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What? People are up in arms about Perry doing that to Laine and now complimenting Buff on that idiotically dirty play? Double standards anyone?

Well Perry dishes it out so I assume he can take it no? Find my post where I complained about Perry's hit today or in your words to keep it uniform I guess "idiotic dirty play"?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I couldn't care who get's drafted but really? That's the worst comparison I've ever seen on this board, lol. :help:

I apologize to have hurt your feelings. But I don't really care. Laine has accomplished much more than what Matthews has done. He's a winner. WJC, SM-liiga or FEL title, and he might top everything with a WC Gold medal.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009

Ironically, Matthews plays a lot more like Sundin than Laine. Sundin was at his best down-low, being a possession monster who was impossible to knock off the puck. That's where Matthews excels too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought Ray was complimentary about Laine's strengths but also critical of the flaws in his game. Early in the tournament he felt Patrik was real good for his age with an amazing shot and good passing but he he wasn't a fan of some of the flaws he saw like the skating and some of the habits he thought wouldn't fly in the NHL. I feel Ray came full circle today and one of the big reason is how good Laine looked 5v5 vs very good NHL players. The fact Laine rose to the occasion and had his best game against his toughest competitor speaks volumes.

I didn't mean the comments he had made of his game on this tourney.
I was talking pre tourney and I disagreed with how he saw Laines role on a line.

I've watched alot of Barkov, he's easily one of my soft spot guys in the league. But I've rarely seen him just completely blow by other players, which is what I'd define as an elite skater. There's very few of them in the league. But I will do my best to tune in next year (and the rest of the tournament) to see if I'm wrong!

I did say he's not an elite skater, but it is a strenght for him these days, it gives boost to his other skills.
He really doesn't have anything holding back anymore and he can fly through the neutral zone and create a scoring chance by himself.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yup, I was impressed too. Hopefully he can produce in the elimination games, he's a pretty clutch guy so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go off.

He's been pretty good in elimination games so I hope the trend continues.

Right now, it's looking like theres a good chance Laine gets to play against his idol, Ovechkin.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I apologize to have hurt your feelings. But I don't really care. Laine has accomplished much more than what Matthews has done. He's a winner. WJC, SM-liiga or FEL title, and he might top everything with a WC Gold medal.

My feelings aren't hurt, I'm just dumbfounded, and you've continued to do so with your recent reply. How do you fathom backing up your Ryan Murray comparison by telling me Laine's accomplishments this season? :laugh:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

If Matthews is the Murray of this draft, I guess that means Laine is the Yakupov of this draft. :sarcasm:

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010

I think I might have found the stupidest ****ing comment in this 40pages thread :handclap:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Oh please. An individual player has very little control over whether he wins championships. Ovechkin hasn't won anything, is he a bad player? Was Yzerman a loser when he was playing in the shadow of 99 and 66 and couldn't win? I guess Chris "Olympics and Stanley Cup champion" Kunitz is a better player than those guys.

There are good arguments for Laine going #1. "He's a winner" is not one of them.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Matthews, first game of the tourney. Had zero points just like Laine but was dominant in the faceoff circle (over 70% I believe) against the likes of McDavid. Was easily one of the best player on the ice even though he had Maroon and Schroeder on his wings.

I realize that this is only the Laine thread for some of us, and I want to thank you for working his name into this Matthews post. Just for reference though, Laine had three points in his first tournament game. Feel free to regale us further...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Oh please. An individual player has very little control over whether he wins championships. Ovechkin hasn't won anything, is he a bad player? Was Yzerman a loser when he was playing in the shadow of 99 and 66 and couldn't win? I guess Chris "Olympics and Stanley Cup champion" Kunitz is a better player than those guys.

There are good arguments for Laine going #1. "He's a winner" is not one of them.

Agreed. I think a good argument could be that Laine seems to perform really well under pressure. He's had the chances to show that. I think the label "winner" is not a good evaluation of players. But the way players perform under elimination games and high pressure situations is a good part of evaluating players.

I'm not saying Matthews breaks under pressure. Just pointing out that Laine has been put in pressure games this season and he seems to always elevate his game during them. Which is a good indication of his mental strength.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Agreed. I think a good argument could be that Laine seems to perform really well under pressure. He's had the chances to show that. I think the label "winner" is not a good evaluation of players. But the way players perform under elimination games and high pressure situations is a good part of evaluating players.

I'm not saying Matthews breaks under pressure. Just pointing out that Laine has been put in pressure games this season and he seems to always elevate his game during them. Which is a good indication of his mental strength.

Yup. Quality post here. Hockey is a team game, can't really use championships for or against both prospects, but you can point to Laine's ability to elevate his game. That is fair, and I completely agree with that assessment.

I'm starting to really like you, TAnnala. :naughty:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Just because Laine is European doesn't mean he compares better to Sundin than Matthews does. To be honest, Matthews game is very similar to Sundin's while Laine plays a very different game.

Ryan Murray is 22 years old and has only played 2 full seasons as well as having some serious injury concerns. What kind of ****** comparison is that...

Laine could end up better than Matthews, but the vast majority of the knowledgeable hockey world believes Matthews will be the better player. Laine has gathered a cult following that seem to take offense to the suggestion that he will likely be the second best player from the draft. Nothing is set in stone, but it is a gamble to take Laine over Matthews.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yup. Quality post here. Hockey is a team game, can't really use championships for or against both prospects, but you can point to Laine's ability to elevate his game. That is fair, and I completely agree with that assessment.

I'm starting to really like you, TAnnala. :naughty:

Thanks. :)

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland

Fixed.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Just because Laine is European doesn't mean he compares better to Sundin than Matthews does. To be honest, Matthews game is very similar to Sundin's while Laine plays a very different game.

Ryan Murray is 22 years old and has only played 2 full seasons as well as having some serious injury concerns. What kind of ****** comparison is that...

Laine could end up better than Matthews, but the vast majority of the knowledgeable hockey world believes Matthews will be the better player. Laine has gathered a cult following that seem to take offense to the suggestion that he will likely be the second best player from the draft. Nothing is set in stone, but it is a gamble to take Laine over Matthews.

It's the superior talk that's bothering, Matthews being AINEC vs Laine, nothing wrong with getting picked 2nd, who knows which one will end up better.
But Laines development has been the best in this draft and that's why he has started to get the praise from the experts and is mentioned with Matthews.
Who knows where they'd be if draft would be in 6 months.

Also Swedish writer wrote during the EHT that there's a new Sundin and sadly it's a Finn, that was a nice praise.

JA

Looks like the tidal wave is chancing:

At he end of this story (http://www.tsn.ca/matthews-pointless-laine-roughed-up-in-last-preliminary-game-1.491058)

And i stumbled to this video as well: HLUSHKO: SCARES ME THAT LEAFS MAY PASS ON LAINE FOR MATTHEWS http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hlushko-scares-leafs-may-pass-laine-matthews/

Sadly the video refuses to work for me.
They posted it on their YouTube page as well.

Also, Ray Ferraro made this comment about viewing Laine at the World Juniors:

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/video/ferraro-on-laine-i-think-that-was-his-best-game-of-the-tournament~872126

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad