LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This guy is on another level. If Leafs do end up passing on him, Jets fans will be having a HUGE party. Wow

IMO Jets won this lottery... Leafs have to take Matthews and that means Laine will fall right into their laps

Leafs do not have to take Mathews at all. Laine is the better scorer, will be the bigger superstar, and everyone is getting that vibe now. Just take the 50 goal guy and worry about getting that #1 C in Free agency or through trade.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Well lets not just look at the points then. I think Laine played probably his best game today with just 3 SOG and no points. He really did show that he can play against big NHL guys. He didn't look awkward or scared out there, littlebit more lucky and he would a goal on top of it. I'm almost having a thought of laughing at this moment when someone questions the tournament after all the other things. Eye-test tells me that Laine can keep up with NHL guys and almost looked like one himself. That's all that matters, the points don't hurt him either.

That's a really good point, and he held up better than I thought he would, but I still worry about skating, atleast projecting him as league elite rather than good 1st liner. It did make me worry about him and his temperament though. One game and people already disliked him that much, gonna be in for a rough ride dealing with a season of that on smaller ice as a puck carrier.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Leafs do not have to take Mathews at all. Laine is the better scorer, will be the bigger superstar, and everyone is getting that vibe now. Just take the 50 goal guy and worry about getting that #1 C in Free agency or through trade.

So Leafs kinda have to take Matthews, that's what you're basically saying. :) And I'm totally not against it, the coming draft will work for both of the top 2 teams.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Thanks for the list. Shows that there it at least one guy every year who has had little to no success in the NHL. Thanks for proving my point. :)
Funny thing is, people were questioning Laine after his WJC performance. Then came the Liiga playoffs and people weren't still convinced because it's not NHL but some second tier hockey league.
Now I see the trend continuing here in WHC. I bet the next stage is going to be people questioning Laine's points in regular season; "let's see how he does when the real games start".

I think it's just adorable.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Funny thing is, people were questioning Laine after his WJC performance. Then came the Liiga playoffs and people weren't still convinced because it's not NHL but some second tier hockey league.
Now I see the trend continuing here in WHC. I bet the next stage is going to be people questioning Laine's points in regular season; "let's see how he does when the real games start".

Laine could go over a PPG in his first NHL playoffs and people would complain that he didn;t win the Conn Smyth.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015

I can't deny the Liiga playoffs, he was spectacular. WJC/WHC are a wash for me though, I've never been a huge fan of putting tons of stock into international tournaments.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's a really good point, and he held up better than I thought he would, but I still worry about skating, atleast projecting him as league elite rather than good 1st liner. It did make me worry about him and his temperament though. One game and people already disliked him that much, gonna be in for a rough ride dealing with a season of that on smaller ice as a puck carrier.

I've started to look at this skating debate on Laine as positive, he has done what he has done because of the skill he has, not because he is Larkin like skater.

We know he has the best coaches in Finland, who know what his weakness is(strenght coach+skating) and have said adding explosiveness will be the focus, adding more strenght to those very 1st steps and Laine is insanely driven player.

He could turn into something special.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Laine could go over a PPG in his first NHL playoffs and people would complain that he didn;t win the Conn Smyth.

I guess that's the consequences when one or two guys mentioned his similarity to Lemieux (didn't tell he's gonna be as good tho) couple years back :laugh:

Btw, i already had finally bought the fact(from Leaf fans and who else) that he is an atrocious skater. Tonight I came to my senses again. He did just fine against NHL players that are the best in their teams. Just imagine when he gets that 6'4 body stronger and adds explosiveness to his skating. He'll be a beast.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine is the real deal. It was easy to see today he was one of the best players on the ice if one watched the game. Which let's remember he is still playing on his wrong wing and he is only 18 years old against some very good NHL players on the ice. He is just going to get better as the tournament goes on. You want to exercise some caution, but its hard not to be excited if you are a hockey fan. When was the last time a draft eligible player was one of the best players on the ice in a game against Canada? Not many I can recall.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've started to look at this skating debate on Laine as positive, he has done what he has done because of the skill he has, not because he is Larkin like skater.

We know he has the best coaches in Finland, who know what his weakness is(strenght coach+skating) and have said adding explosiveness will be the focus, adding more strenght to those very 1st steps and Laine is insanely driven player.

He could turn into something special.

That's the thing, I count on some improvement for sure, and completely expect him to become a 1stline, perenial 30-35 goal+ winger with those improvements But while yes skating is improveable it's not like every player that knows their weaknesses and works on them becomes an elite skater. Just like it's not like every offensively talented 6'4 winger develops the strength and puck protection of a Jagr, they all fill out to some degree, but not all like that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's the thing, I count on some improvement for sure, and completely expect him to become a 1stline, perenial 30-35 goal+ winger with those improvements But while yes skating is improveable it's not like every player that knows their weaknesses and works on them becomes an elite skater. Just like it's not like every offensively talented 6'4 winger develops the strength and puck protection of a Jagr, they all fill out to some degree, but not all like that.

Sure, but we also know he has same skating coach as Barkov, and his skating went from weakness to stenght n 1 offseason, and we have seen what a difference Laine was able to do in 1 offseason a year ago.
His strengh coach, who coaches NHL players has said he is physically very raw and has ton of room to develop, grow in every area.

So it's not like he is close to his max.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Sure, but we also know he has same skating coach as Barkov, and his skating went from weakness to stenght n 1 offseason.
His strengh coach, who coaches NHL players has said he is physically very raw and has ton of room to develop, grow in every area.

Wouldn't call Barkov's skating his strength. He's probably a bit above average, his strength is still his hockey IQ. With that being said, I'm pretty confident that Laine will improve his skating at least a little bit. He'll be an average NHL skater with an elite ability to glide, in my opinion.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
This guy is on another level. If Leafs do end up passing on him, Jets fans will be having a HUGE party. Wow

IMO Jets won this lottery... Leafs have to take Matthews and that means Laine will fall right into their laps

Leaf fans will also be having a huge party as they probably get the #1 Franchise center they've been looking for since Sundin. Leafs don't have to take Matthews, babs said yesterday they will take BPA regardless of position. Don't get why people are making the leafs look like the losers of the lottery when they get to take the BPA...

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Sure, but we also know he has same skating coach as Barkov, and his skating went from weakness to stenght n 1 offseason, and we have seen what a difference Laine was able to do in 1 offseason a year ago.

Barkov's still an average skater, but he more than makes up for it with his strength along the boards and hockey sense.
Laine will definitely improve, but not everyone follows the same development path. A guy like Tavares went from looking like a guy carrying around a fridge on his back during his junior days, to a pretty decent skater these days.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Leaf fans will also be having a huge party as they probably get the #1 Franchise center they've been looking for since Sundin. Leafs don't have to take Matthews, babs said yesterday they will take BPA regardless of position. Don't get why people are making the leafs look like the losers of the lottery when they get to take the BPA...

Both are great players. As a fan who would prefer Matthews simply because of his position suiting our team needs, the difference between the two is minimal. Both are better at some things than the other. There's no real loser here, except for the teams that missed out on getting one of the top 2, or even top 3 picks if we're being honest.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wouldn't call Barkov's skating his strength. He's probably a bit above average, his strength is still his hockey IQ. With that being said, I'm pretty confident that Laine will improve his skating at least a little bit. He'll be an average NHL skater with an elite ability to glide, in my opinion.

Ofcourse his hockey IQ is his biggest strenght but his skating allows him to dominate these days.

Barkov's still an average skater, but he more than makes up for it with his strength along the boards and hockey sense.
Laine will definitely improve, but not everyone follows the same development path. A guy like Tavares went from looking like a guy carrying around a fridge on his back during his junior days, to a pretty decent skater these days.

I definitely wouldnt call him average in NHL rink, he's not elite but he's so damm strong with good explosiveness and top speed.

He truly surprised me with that this season, can't forget Pierre signing praises about his skating.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Ofcourse his hockey IQ is his biggest strenght but his skating allows him to dominate these days.

I definitely wouldnt call him average in NHL rink, he's not elite but he's so damm strong with good explosiveness and top speed.

He truly surprised me with that this offseason, can't forget Pierre signing praises about his skating.

Meh, he's a good skater but no a great one. An elite skater is somebody like Duchene. Barkov is a good skater (acceleration, edges, speed) but it's his size that allows him to mask some of his skating flaws. He's unbelievable protecting the puck. If Laine can adapt in the same way, good lord he's gonna be a good one.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Laine is the real deal. It was easy to see today he was one of the best players on the ice if one watched the game. Which let's remember he is still playing on his wrong wing and he is only 18 years old against some very good NHL players on the ice. He is just going to get better as the tournament goes on. You want to exercise some caution, but its hard not to be excited if you are a hockey fan. When was the last time a draft eligible player was one of the best players on the ice in a game against Canada? Not many I can recall.

Matthews, first game of the tourney. Had zero points just like Laine but was dominant in the faceoff circle (over 70% I believe) against the likes of McDavid. Was easily one of the best player on the ice even though he had Maroon and Schroeder on his wings.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Matthews, first game of the tourney. Had zero points just like Laine but was dominant in the faceoff circle (over 70% I believe) against the likes of McDavid. Was easily one of the best player on the ice even though he had Maroon and Schroeder on his wings.

Both Laine and Matthews played similar games against Canada in the sense that they were pointless but held their own and played really well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Cause they have to make the choice. People dont look at leafs as the losers, they just look at them having an enormous decision that will affect the team for the next decade. Chevy will have the most sound sleep on draft night cause he just takes who drops to him at 2.. doesn't have to have any stress what so ever.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Meh, he's a good skater but no a great one. An elite skater is somebody like Duchene. Barkov is a good skater (acceleration, edges, speed) but it's his size that allows him to mask some of his skating flaws. He's unbelievable protecting the puck. If Laine can adapt in the same way, good lord he's gonna be a good one.

I'll suggest you to try to remember to focus on his speed next season, he will surprise you, he can fly through the neutral zone.

But it's great to see Laine and Barkov on the same line, they seem like good friends already and have a feeling Barkov has been teaching him few tricks and he has the honour to watch Barkovs game closely and learn.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Cause they have to make the choice. People dont look at leafs as the losers, they just look at them having an enormous decision that will affect the team for the next decade. Chevy will have the most sound sleep on draft night cause he just takes who drops to him at 2.. doesn't have to have any stress what so ever.

Not much sleep for the Leafs brass either. Both the Jets & Leafs (Cbus too in my opinion) are going to get fantastic players.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
I'll suggest you to try to remember to focus on his speed next season, he will surprise you.

But it's great to see Laine and Barkov on the same line, they seem like good friends already and have a feeling Barkov has been teaching him few tricks and he has the honour to watch Barkovs game closely and learn.

I've watched alot of Barkov, he's easily one of my soft spot guys in the league. But I've rarely seen him just completely blow by other players, which is what I'd define as an elite skater. There's very few of them in the league. But I will do my best to tune in next year (and the rest of the tournament) to see if I'm wrong!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like listening to the games he does, but his Laine comment earlier was honestly driving me crazy and thought that guy missed all of his playoff games.

I thought Ray was complimentary about Laine's strengths but also critical of the flaws in his game. Early in the tournament he felt Patrik was real good for his age with an amazing shot and good passing but he he wasn't a fan of some of the flaws he saw like the skating and some of the habits he thought wouldn't fly in the NHL. I feel Ray came full circle today and one of the big reason is how good Laine looked 5v5 vs very good NHL players. The fact Laine rose to the occasion and had his best game against his toughest competitor speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad