LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There is a joke to made here about playoffs... new Jets prospect and the first thing he does with the team is go golfing :sarcasm:

Nah, Patrik won't connect it. In Finland we just flood the ice with beach balls when the (opposing) team starts their summer vacation and then everyone scoots to their own direction. And maybe shows up 20 pounds fatter at the arena when it's fall.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The best part about that goal is him being able to one-time a pass so atrocious.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
One of the best attributes in Laine's shot is how he can shoot a great shot even when the pass is horrible.

JA

It seems that everyone in Winnipeg wants to compare him to Teemu Selanne.

I don't understand it. Aside from them both being high-end Finnish goal scorers who represent the Winnipeg Jets, they play nothing alike.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It seems that everyone in Winnipeg wants to compare him to Teemu Selanne.

I don't understand it. Aside from them both being high-end Finnish goal scorers who represent the Winnipeg Jets, they play nothing alike.

Not too many of these in the world to begin with. :laugh:

Until these days the main reason for Finnish turnovers has been that the player in front of the net can't find anyone to pass to and panics as the consequence.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not too many of these in the world to begin with. :laugh:

Until these days the main reason for Finnish turnovers has been that the player in front of the net can't find anyone to pass to and panics as the consequence.
For now, at least.

For pure goal scorers we're at least going to have Eeli Tolvanen and Leevi Aaltonen as world class talents.

I'd say that the national team won't have very many issues with goal scoring when like 2020 comes around.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
My favourite Laine goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK1RL-ANM3s

That was so awesome. Couldn't believe it and I wasn't Tappara fan even though I was on their bandwagon.

Mannn I remember jumping thinking "WHAT!? HE DID IT AGAIN AND THIS TIME WITH JUST A SECOND LEFT!?!?"

the amount of clutch in him is untouchable, definitely the best big game player in the draft

Last edited by a moderator:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
For now, at least.

For pure goal scorers we're at least going to have Eeli Tolvanen and Leevi Aaltonen as world class talents.

I'd say that the national team won't have very many issues with goal scoring when like 2020 comes around.

Yea the large players and the "puck hoggers" are allowed to develop nowadays, a lot's changed

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The pass is like 5 feet too far ahead, he has to adjust his skating trajectory, kneel down, reach really far forward anyway and have his arms in such awkward positions you'd think he would dislocate his shoulder and he still manages to get a shot like that off.

I'd say that anyone but Ovechkin would not have one timed that pass, much less towards the goal at a decent velocity.

You can look at highlight videos of players scoring beautiful one timer goals and say that they have a good one timer as well, but you miss all the times when they couldn't one time a bad pass and just received it normally.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
What's best about that last-second equalizer is that in the previous game, he had scored a last-minute equalizer :laugh:
But I guess that is Laine's season in a nutshell. Topping the previous achievement with a more ludicrous one.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
The pass is like 5 feet too far ahead, he has to adjust his skating trajectory, kneel down, reach really far forward anyway and have his arms in such awkward positions you'd think he would dislocate his shoulder and he still manages to get a shot like that off.

I'd say that anyone but Ovechkin would not have one timed that pass, much less towards the goal at a decent velocity.

You can look at highlight videos of players scoring beautiful one timer goals and say that they have a good one timer as well, but you miss all the times when they couldn't one time a bad pass and just received it normally.

He was gliding around with his arms at his sides and then was able to pick the puck out of what appeared to be a terrible pass in his feet.

I like that he has that score from anywhere capability, but I don't like to see that other stuff. Hopefully that's an aberration, and not a norm.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
According to "he told me he told him Laine told him"-sources, it was because of that Perry hit. That's good enough to me.

You can just watch that frame by frame and think about how your knee would feel if it got twisted like that. It'd be unrealistic to assume nothing got snapped.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
According to "he told me he told him Laine told him"-sources, it was because of that Perry hit. That's good enough to me.

You can just watch that frame by frame and think about how your knee would feel if it got twisted like that. It'd be unrealistic to assume nothing got snapped.

The pictures from the bench afterwards may be even more telling. It's with a very good case as speculation goes.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If he really got it that bad from the Perry play he is going to have a new thing coming when he gets in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad