LW Nick Ritchie (2014, 10th, ANA)

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Ive seen a lot of of his games throughout JRs and AHL and I dont think he's ever going to be the type of player that wows you with his skills at the NHL level. However, he does have a great shot with range and he is a superb passer for a PF type. I think the most important thing about his game is that he knows how to position himself in the slot to receive passes and gets his shot off relatively quickly and accurately. The way I see his game at this level is pretty much a tad faster and meaner version of prime Penner.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unfortunately Nick is still looking for his first point since being called up after going a PPG in the AHL this year. Rantanen was also pointless before being sent down. Both are very good prospects. But This really illustrates how tough the NHL is compared to the AHL.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
His linemates (Kesler and Silfverberg) aren't doing much either. He should be sent down and spared the cluster**** Anaheim is at the moment.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
the kesler line plays against tough competition. hes trying too hard to not make s stupid play

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Ritchie call up seemed to be a bit of a desperation move by Murray. At this time it would seem he still needs some mastering of the AHL before he is ready. He was progressing well in San Diego. Probably needs a year down there atleast. He's a good prospect though and he should be a power fwd of some skill when he is NHL ready.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has got his chances for sure, regardless he is sent down once Sekac is healthy (next game).
Probably for the best, doesn't he burn a year if he stays up past the 9 game threshold due to the how ELC's apply to late CHL birthdays.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Probably for the best, doesn't he burn a year if he stays up past the 9 game threshold due to the how ELC's apply to late CHL birthdays.

Ritchie is already burning off a year of his deal even while playing in the AHL. He could play 0 NHL games this year and stay in AHL all year and a year is used up.. hes outta junior hockey and is a pro now!!

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Ritchie is already burning off a year of his deal even while playing in the AHL. He could play 0 NHL games this year and stay in AHL all year and a year is used up.. hes outta junior hockey and is a pro now!!

I'm not sure if this is different because Ritchie was drafted out of the OHL, but I know for a fact Nylander (from the same draft class) isn't burning off a year of his ELC/RFA status by being in the AHL this season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nope, there is a provision in the new CBA that allows late birthday players to have there first AHL year allowed to slide, see Ryan Pulock last year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nope, there is a provision in the new CBA that allows late birthday players to have there first AHL year allowed to slide, see Ryan Pulock last year.

ya I knew there was something with Pulock's deal that was something like that....here I found this....

If an 18 or 19-year-old* player signs an entry-level contract but doesn’t play in at least ten games in the first season of that contract, the terms** and number of years are automatically extended one year — effectively "sliding" the contract.

This automatic extension doesn’t apply for players who turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year they sign their contract.

Second Slide: If an 18-year-old player (at the time of contract signing) has his contract slide and then doesn’t play in at least ten games in the second season either, his contract will slide again.

**Contract Terms: The player’s base salary "slides" in all cases. Signing bonuses do not slide, but a team and player can agree to contrary terms regarding games played bonuses and performance bonuses. This is not common though

so basically if he stays under 10 games, it extends another year??? is that right?

He was 18 when he signed his deal, so if he plays under 10 games this year itll slide an extra year and then again next year if he plays under 10 games it can slide another year again? so technically it could be a 5 year ELC basically??? that seems brutal for the player doesn't it?

5 years or bouncing back and forth where as other players once their 3 year ELC is complete, a lot of them sign 1 way bridge type deals and make huge money

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Unfortunately Nick is still looking for his first point since being called up after going a PPG in the AHL this year. Rantanen was also pointless before being sent down. Both are very good prospects. But This really illustrates how tough the NHL is compared to the AHL.

Well for starters, I don't think anyone ever thought the AHL was nearly as tough as the NHL.

Ritchie and Rantanen just don't have it yet, they should one day, but it's not right now. Pastrnak and Draisaitl made the jump fairly seamlessly from the AHL to the NHL. Each player is different.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ya I knew there was something with Pulock's deal that was something like that....here I found this....

If an 18 or 19-year-old* player signs an entry-level contract but doesn’t play in at least ten games in the first season of that contract, the terms** and number of years are automatically extended one year — effectively "sliding" the contract.

This automatic extension doesn’t apply for players who turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year they sign their contract.

Second Slide: If an 18-year-old player (at the time of contract signing) has his contract slide and then doesn’t play in at least ten games in the second season either, his contract will slide again.

**Contract Terms: The player’s base salary "slides" in all cases. Signing bonuses do not slide, but a team and player can agree to contrary terms regarding games played bonuses and performance bonuses. This is not common though

so basically if he stays under 10 games, it extends another year??? is that right?
So it basically depends on when he signs his ELC and that it was done before his 19th birthday. Quickly looked it up, Ducks issued a press release saying they signed him on August 2 2014 (http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727681) and his Birthday is December 5th, so it would appear he would be eligible to slide the contract as long as he doesn't play 3 more NHL games this year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So it basically depends on when he signs his ELC and that it was done before his 19th birthday. Quickly looked it up, Ducks issued a press release saying they signed him on August 2 2014 (http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727681) and his Birthday is December 5th, so it would appear he would be eligible to slide the contract as long as he doesn't play 3 more NHL games this year.

ya its crazy cause his contract can slide another year again if he plays under 10 games next year too... making it a 5 year ELC haha... unreal for Ducks cause they can bounce him back and forth for 5 years but brutal for him cause itll take a while to potentially get that 1 way deal and raise

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

Ideally, Sekac and Thompson return this week and Ritchie gets sent back to the AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ya its crazy cause his contract can slide another year again if he plays under 10 games next year too... making it a 5 year ELC haha... brutal for him
Nope, this would be the 2nd slide (first one was last year in the OHL), next year he will burn a year regardless.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
I've had no complaints about his play so far. Obviously no goals yet but overall very mature performances, which for me was a bit unexpected. Keeping in mind his linemates (Kesler, Silfverberg) have combined for 1 non-empty net goal in 48 appearances it's tough to gauge the offense.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
How has his play been?

1 point in 24 games but I haven't seen a game. Is he playing well?

Some slight improvement, but I wouldn't hold your breath on him breaking out this year. He's basically up because Stewart has a broken jaw, and the only other guy with goal scoring talent is also on IR(Pirri).

Mad Brills*

Why isn't he in the AHL? He seems like he could use some games of doing well down there.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Despite his NHL stat's thus far, I'd love to have him as a Canucks prospect.
He's already shown he can produce at the AHL level.
The game will slow down for him when he gets more accustomed to the pace of play; young guys like him also have so much they have to think about (positioning, defensive responsibilities, less time to make decisions) that instead of playing hockey, they have to think far too much, rather than react.

I think you guys have a stud...it just might take some time before you see him putting up the numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad