jawandapuck.blogspot.com
LW/RW Nick Ritchie - Peterborough Petes, OHL
6'2" / 205 lbs / Shoots Left
Birth: December 05, 1995, Orangeville, ON, Canada

1297349122555_ORIGINAL.jpg

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99036

Brother: Brett Ritchie
Youth Team: Toronto Marlboros, MHA
Drafted 2011, round 1 #2 overall by Peterborough Petes in the OHL Priority Selection

What Brock had to say on August 14, 2013 in his top OHL prospects for the NHL '14 draft:
4. Nick Ritchie - Forward - Peterborough Petes
To be honest, I wanted to put Ritchie a bit further down on this list because of all the trouble he's had staying healthy. But I just couldn't, considering the potential he possesses. He's the complete package and a true forward prospect. Think Brett Ritchie (a terrific player in his own right), but a better skater and puckhandler. When he's on, Ritchie can control all facets of the game, offensively, physically, and on the backcheck. He's incredibly difficult to contain with the puck in transition and is very aggressive in looking towards the center of the ice. His hands in close are fantastic, but he's also a great playmaker who sees the ice and can make his linemates better. For Ritchie, it's all about staying healthy in his 3rd OHL season (he's a late '95). If he's forced to play the game with less conviction to avoid injury, he'd lose his some of his effectiveness.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Would a good comp for him be Jamie Benn?

Wouldn't mind another one of those.

arsmaster*

Bump.

Read a few posters saying they think he'll drop in other threads, but they didn't provide reasons.

Just trying to get an idea.

@seanlafortune says he's NHL ready next year.

What would drop him? Indifferent play? Injuries? Crap team?

Canuck71*

I cant see him dropping. When he's on his game he is the complete package and is someone who is too big and too talented to fall out of the top 10 in my opinion. Fun player to watch. Great hands, good speed for a big guy, hits hard, fights, great hockey sense too.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
This is the kind of guy to could develop into a Lucic-style player.

He's huge! (6'3 - 230lbs) fights, hits, scores, etc. I doubt this guy drops out of the top 10. He has all the tools to be an extremely effective forward!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

He's huge! (6'3 - 230lbs) fights, hits, scores, etc. I doubt this guy drops out of the top 10. He has all the tools to be an extremely effective forward!

Yeah but he looks like he could lose ten or fifteen pounds and be more effective.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Yeah but he looks like he could lose ten or fifteen pounds and be more effective.

Ya, probably. Give him a little more speed/endurance. Either way, very effective player. He's type of player ever team covets.

arsmaster*

Except that Ritchie has had some concussions. I'd rather see him as a power forward that can score and drops the gloves from time to time (jamie benn/jarome iginla/shane doan) than a Lucic who broke into the league fighting heavyweights. I don't see that being Ritchie's game at all.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Except that Ritchie has had some concussions. I'd rather see him as a power forward that can score and drops the gloves from time to time (jamie benn/jarome iginla/shane doan) than a Lucic who broke into the league fighting heavyweights. I don't see that being Ritchie's game at all.

I think you have misinterpreted my post and jumped the gun a bit?...

I said Lucic-style of play. I didn't say he would mimic how Lucic plays. There is more to Lucic's game than him dropping the gloves. (Although, Ritchie can do this very well!) which is why I think Lucic is actually a very good NHL comparable to Ritchie. How he skates, hits, intimidates, drives the net, etc. Also, his size and fearless attitude has to be taken into account. When watching him a few times live i've walked away with this comparison.

I'd love to hear what other posters (Peterborough fans) think!?

arsmaster*

I think you have misinterpreted my post and jumped the gun a bit?...

I said Lucic-style of play. I didn't say he would mimic how Lucic plays. There is more to Lucic's game than him dropping the gloves. (Although, Ritchie can do this very well!) which is why I think Lucic is actually a very good NHL comparable to Ritchie. How he skates, hits, intimidates, drives the net, etc. Also, his size and fearless attitude has to be taken into account. When watching him a few times live i've walked away with this comparison.

I'd love to hear what other posters (Peterborough fans) think!?

Lucic's intimidation is almost entirely built upon his ability to pound your face in.

Fair enough about the rest of your comparison, but there is a reason, everyone is looking for "the next Lucic" and it's not fearlessness, it's the ability to play in a top 6 and pound you to a pulp, there isn't another player in the league like him.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Lucic's intimidation is almost entirely built upon his ability to pound your face in.

Fair enough about the rest of your comparison, but there is a reason, everyone is looking for "the next Lucic" and it's not fearlessness, it's the ability to play in a top 6 and pound you to a pulp, there isn't another player in the league like him.

Yes, but Ritchie can do this! (does do this!) Just because he has dealt with concussions in this past doesn't mean he won't drop the gloves. The kid can throw them hard and play in the top 6! (prediction).

Maybe a Chris Stewart mold(?), but I still see Lucic!

Anyways, thanks for your input on the topic. I always enjoy hearing other posters opinions who seem to know what they are talking about.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I was telling a guy about Ritchie at work. My words to him were "Keep an eye out for this kid. Fast, scores, big as a mountain and fights like a demon"

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Doesn't he have a lot of injury concerns?

Seems like a great prospect but that might hamper his future.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
More Dustin Penner than Lucic IMO. He can skate for sure for a big guy, I've seen him throw a few big hits in the OHL but he doesn't seem to relish that side of the game the way Lucic does. Lucic thrives off physicality and loves being a bully on the ice - Ritchie doesn't approach physicality the same way, he hits sometimes because he's big.

Dustin Penner does a lot of good things and I think that's a realistic comparison for Ritchie at the NHL level.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Penner weren't such a head case he'd be one hell of a player. Good comparison. Hopefully this new version has his head screwed on straight.

arsmaster*

Chris Stewart makes way more sense, money Baer.

Lucic is just too rare a commodity.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I love the way Ritchie plays. First off, he's huge and he loves to use his weight. His offensive tools are great as he's fast, has great hands, a good shot, and is a surprisingly good passer. When he's on, he's all over the ice making things happen. The injuries and lack of discipline are concerning, but his skillset is so rare.

More Dustin Penner than Lucic IMO. He can skate for sure for a big guy, I've seen him throw a few big hits in the OHL but he doesn't seem to relish that side of the game the way Lucic does. Lucic thrives off physicality and loves being a bully on the ice - Ritchie doesn't approach physicality the same way, he hits sometimes because he's big.

Dustin Penner does a lot of good things and I think that's a realistic comparison for Ritchie at the NHL level.

He's closer to a Lucic than a Penner in the physical department, in my opinion. He doesn't hit sometimes, he hits all the time. Unfortunately, he crosses the line quite a bit. Actually, I find he tries to make too much of an impact on the physically at times and racks up the penalty minutes because of it. When he's playing his best, he's steamrolling people, walking a fine line.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I love the way Ritchie plays. First off, he's huge and he loves to use his weight. His offensive tools are great as he's fast, has great hands, a good shot, and is a surprisingly good passer. When he's on, he's all over the ice making things happen. The injuries and lack of discipline are concerning, but his skillset is so rare.

He's closer to a Lucic than a Penner in the physical department, in my opinion. He doesn't hit sometimes, he hits all the time. Unfortunately, he crosses the line quite a bit. Actually, I find he tries to make too much of an impact on the physically at times and racks up the penalty minutes because of it. When he's playing his best, he's steamrolling people, walking a fine line.

Haha... you never saw Lucic in junior then. I'm trying to make a pro projection, not how these players play in a junior league. If you try to make too much of an impact physically "at times", you are not a bully plain and simple. Lucic loved steamrolling guys and getting in fights and imposing his will and using a plain and simple INTIMIDATION factor with capital letters when he was in Vancouver. I don't see that with Ritchie. Lucic looked like he genuinely enjoyed picking on smaller guys and hurting them and changing the complexion of games. That is why he arrived in the NHL with no fear and fought heavies in his rookie year - I can guarantee Ritchie won't be doing that. That is what I'm talking about when Ritchie doesn't relish that side of the game but he hits because he is big and can. I find there is a difference there but that is just my personal opinion. His injuries could also affect this play style even further into the future when guys are bigger and even better fighters.

Go find or buy some games of Dustin Penner playing at Maine or in Portland - that is why I think it is an apt, and even generous comparison. Again, that's just my opinion.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How's his skating? Does he stack up well compared to a prospect like Valeri Nichushkin?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
How's his skating? Does he stack up well compared to a prospect like Valeri Nichushkin?

Excellent skater for such a big boy, but I would say Nichushkin is a better skater and has more skill. I don't generally subscribe to the "Russian factor", but in this case I can't help but think that if Nichushkin was Canadian he would have been a top five pick.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Excellent skater for such a big boy, but I would say Nichushkin is a better skater and has more skill. I don't generally subscribe to the "Russian factor", but in this case I can't help but think that if Nichushkin was Canadian he would have been a top five pick.

Agreed. Nichushkin is an impact player. Ritchie has just flashed potential so far. I would say Ritchie's shot is better, but does not have the same puck skill.

Still can't tell if Ritchie is all tools and no application and how high his bust factor is. It's concerning that all these top picks have flashed dominant stretches (Reinhart; Bennett; MDC; Draisaitl) while Ritchie has only had a very few amount of good games.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Yes, but personally, I think people misunderstand the "fear" in selecting Russians.

The fear isn't because they have a simple stereotype of being lazy. Sure, that can come into play sometimes but that isn't the core problem.

The core problem is that Russians have other playing options in Russia. Like when Devil fans were pissed when Zach Parise signed with the Minnesota Wild even though it was reported they offered a similar deal. Parise signed with Minnesota because he was from Minnesota, wanted to play at home near family and friends and in a place where he would want to raise his kids etc etc etc.

Same thing with players like Nichushkin. He has other potential employers in Russia that can offer good money to play in front of family and friends. That is a great offer that if I was a drafting NHL team, I would take into account as a potential threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad