LW Kyle Connor (2015, 17th, WPG) II

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Kyle Connor: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177671

...continued from HERE.

To sum, non-conference play was mostly early in the year for Michigan and the CCM line wasn't together for some, maybe most, of that. I forget. Not that it should matter for Hobey voting anyway, but Connor's pace was a bit different if you look at those splits though: B1G 22GP 27+23=51 2.32P/GP -vs- NC 14GP 8+10=18 1.29P/GP; still impressive either way, as you can't fault Connor for the strength of schedule and consistently putting up points down the stretch. A very dominant season from someone I had ranked 8th in the 2015 draft.

I guess for comparison's sake, as it stands, Vesey would be my favorite on the runner-up to Connor in Hobey voting, so if you look at the splits between those two vs shared opponents, that's something like --> Connor: 12GP 10+11=21 -vs- Vesey: 11GP 8+9=17.

Lastly, Michigan has drawn Notre Dame in the Midwest Regional (Cincinnati), so his next game is Friday at 5:30ET on ESPNU.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Kyle Connor: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=177671

...continued from HERE.

To sum, non-conference play was mostly early in the year for Michigan and the CCM line wasn't together for some, maybe most, of that. I forget. Not that it should matter for Hobey voting anyway, but Connor's pace was a bit different if you look at those splits though: B1G 22GP 27+23=51 2.32P/GP -vs- NC 14GP 8+10=18 1.29P/GP; still impressive either way, as you can't fault Connor for the strength of schedule and consistently putting up points down the stretch. A very dominant season from someone I had ranked 8th in the 2015 draft.

I guess for comparison's sake, as it stands, Vesey would be my favorite on the runner-up to Connor in Hobey voting, so if you look at the splits between those two vs shared opponents, that's something like --> Connor: 12GP 10+11=21 -vs- Vesey: 11GP 8+9=17.

Lastly, Michigan has drawn Notre Dame in the Midwest Regional (Cincinnati), so his next game is Friday at 5:30ET on ESPNU.

Connor was moved from second line RW (his off wing) to first line LW before their weekend matchup with Minnesota Dec 11/12.

So the first 14 games on the second line.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Why did he fall? Every publication I read seemed to have him in the 10-13 range. I think i read about scouts being worried his offence wouldn't translate?

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
So glad my Oilers got Griffin Reinhart instead of drafting this beast.

This is a problem with the gets d-men to Edmonton at all costs logic. People on this board would have the Oilers sell off Hall, RNH, and Eberle and pennies on the dollar just to get a warm body who can play D.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This is a problem with the gets d-men to Edmonton at all costs logic. People on this board would have the Oilers sell off Hall, RNH, and Eberle and pennies on the dollar just to get a warm body who can play D.

No. Not once has anyone suggested that the Oilers get "any warm body". What was suggested was that the Oilers have excellent top 6 forwards, so they should trade from a position of strength for a position of weakness.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Why did he fall? Every publication I read seemed to have him in the 10-13 range. I think i read about scouts being worried his offence wouldn't translate?

I am far from an expert but my guess is that first and foremost it was a pretty insane draft class so teams just fell in love with other prospects more? The only red flags I could see is that CC was a skilled forward who was a late birthday and played US high school? Perhaps those factors would have had teams leery about his skills translating. I was in shock when both Connor and Barzal fell to 16 and 17?

Last edited:

morphinecv

Feb 12, 2015
The move was correct, in that they wanted a Top 4 D, but the part where they didn't seem to know what they were getting out of Reinhart (not a T4D) is disappointing in a way where I wonder if, when you become Edmonton management, they wipe your memory Men In Black style and make you start from scratch.

morphinecv

Feb 12, 2015
I am far from an expert but my guess is that first and foremost it was a pretty insane draft class so teams just fell in love with other prospects more? The only red flags I could see is that CC was a skilled forward that who was a late birthday and played US high school? Perhaps those factors would have had teams leery about his skills translating. I was in shock when both Connor and Barzal fell to 16 and 17?

Also, and not a criticism because that bag of worms doesn't need to be opened yet, one team didn't see to have him in their books at all and accounts for almost the entire fall from 13th to 17th

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Also, and not a criticism because that bag of worms doesn't need to be opened yet, one team didn't see to have him in their books at all and accounts for almost the entire fall from 13th to 17th

I thank bruins management daily for skipping over Konecny as well :D

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

We had him ranked 5th overall. I just loved his game.

I was in shock as I stood on the draft floor and watched him fall all the way to the Jets.

Much like Ehlers and Larkin before him, he was one of my personal faves. This year one of my personal faves is Dubois, I don't see him sliding but I didn't expect Connor to slide either.

As for a reason. The only thing I kept hearing was he wasn't a strong kid and teams didn't like his weak frame.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We had him ranked 5th overall. I just loved his game.

I was in shock as I stood on the draft floor and watched him fall all the way to the Jets.

Much like Ehlers and Larkin before him, he was one of my personal faves. This year one of my personal faves is Dubois, I don't see him sliding but I didn't expect Connor to slide either.

As for a reason. The only thing I kept hearing was he wasn't a strong kid and teams didn't like his weak frame.

Interesting Mark. I just happen to have my handy 2015 Black Book digital PDF on my desktop so I reopened my favorite draft publication (I purchased 3 others last year as well) and yea you guys were all over this one. Saying you liked Connor is one thing but actually having him ranked at #5 on your final publication ahead of Dylan Strome means you guys saw something more than pretty much any other publication. That was an aggressive stand which is retrospect looks much less controversial today.

:handclap:

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
He is listed right now as 6' 175.....only a freshman, plenty of growth potential there. Have watched him in 3 games this year...and yes, he still needs to gain some more strength.

That said.....Connor has big time vision and puck awareness - he really sees the ice, in terms of finding the holes and locating his teammates. Plays under total control, real smooth - has great feel on when to speed up or slow it down in the O zone. Terrific hands as well - a deadly finisher....

Forget the Bruins.....a lot of teams are going to regret leaving this kid for the Jets at 17....

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Interesting Mark. I just happen to have my handy 2015 Black Book digital PDF on my desktop so I reopened my favorite draft publication (I purchased 3 others last year as well) and yea you guys were all over this one. Saying you liked Connor is one thing but actually having him ranked at #5 on your final publication ahead of Dylan Strome means you guys saw something more than pretty much any other publication. That was an aggressive stand which is retrospect looks much less controversial today.

Lot's of hockey ahead before we just proclaim him a star already (and us correct) but i'm not surprised by his success based on what I saw prior to this year.

Thanks for purchasing and the kind words. :)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He is listed right now as 6' 175.....only a freshman, plenty of growth potential there. Have watched him in 3 games this year...and yes, he still needs to gain some more strength.

That said.....Conner has big time vision and puck awareness - he really sees the ice, in terms of finding the holes and locating his teammates. Plays under total control, real smooth - has great feel on when to speed up or slow it down in the O zone. Terrific hands as well - a deadly finisher....

Forget the Bruins.....a lot of teams are going to regret leaving this kid for the Jets at 17....

He's listed as 6'1 pretty much everywhere. On Michigans website as well as most stats sites.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
The next Jeff Carter. Wanted this guy at 7, pleased to see I would have been very happy if thats how the draft went down. I think he should take another year to gain strength before playing in the NHL. If he's eligible, I'd start him in the AHL next season

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

Sweeney in Boston had a stroke and picked a projected 2nd and 3rd rounder instead. They passed on him 3 times

Whileee

May 29, 2010

They had Ehlers at #4 too. They get it. Seems that they might use the same sort of criteria as Jets scouts when evaluating prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad