LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
On a positive note...

I had some very strong Alpha Dog vibes from Slaf. He's got to be feeling the heat and he's smart enough to see his play.

I hope it motivates him to learn and his learning curve may suprise us. It's a lot simpler to learn the north south wingers game then center or defense.

Yes...i'm drinking a triple vodka hopium...

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
On a positive note...

I had some very strong Alpha Dog vibes from Slaf. He's got to be feeling the heat and he's smart enough to see his play.

I hope it motivates him to learn and his learning curve may suprise us. It's a lot simpler to learn the north south wingers game then center or defense.

Yes...i'm drinking a triple vodka hopium...
on an even more positive note!

Even if Slafkovsky ended up being a 2nd liner the habs will probably have gotten at least three 2nd line players in the 1st round of the 2022 draft when all is said in done. Most teams would be jealous of such a haul.

(yes Beck is a 2nd but he's basically a 1st)

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
As I wrote many times during his draft season I see Slaf as a Malkin/Rantanen hybrid as a prospect. For better comparision let´s see how they were doing when they were in his age.

RANTANEN - he was almost year older because of his late b´day, started season after draft basically as a 19 y.o.

Draft season : Liiga 56 games / 28 points, without international success
D+1 season : NHL : 9 games / 0 points and -7, AHL : 52 games / 60 points

MALKIN

Draft season : KHL : 34 games / 3 goals (12 points)
D+1 season : KHL : 57 games / 12 goals (36 points)

Even Malkin or Rantanen didn´t look like NHL ready or better players than Slafkovsky in that age. So I don´t know why this impatience...
In my opinion, Rantanen´s route looks like the best option for Slaf. It wasn´t the shame if he´ll develop his game in AHL with some NHL taste in 18. Be calm, Slafkovsky is absolutely OK.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm sorry? What has Cooley done to show that he is better then Those two? Also putting Hischier and Patricks name together is lunacy.

Hischier is the 2nd best player of that draft, Makar while great now was seen as a risky pick back then. Colorado was at the end of their rebuild at that time which allowed them to go for the more risky choice. Always go for the Upside? Good thing you aren't a GM because your team would be filled with Byfield, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina,
Nicole is not the 2nd best, that belongs to EP

EP 241 games, 221 points, 97 goals +20
Nicole 300 games, 206 points 79 goals -16.

In what world does that point to Nico since their both play the same position?

EP is in another tier and very underrated defensively.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
People have been talking badly about him but the tools are definitely there to be a good player. He looks like a phenomenal athlete. I just personally think he’s too heavy and he needs to work on foot-speed.

I think he’ll do great in Laval. If he can get a little faster, a little lighter, and develop a more physical game, he’s going to be a tough player to play against.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
1 thing I wonder is, should Slaf had stayed in Finland for this season? Way less media and fan pressure. Familiar environment, coach and teammates. Could just focus on hockey and not have to deal with all the "noise".
I'd rather Laval if he doesn't make the bug club

Reactions: Gravity

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Nicole is not the 2nd best, that belongs to EP

EP 241 games, 221 points, 97 goals +20
Nicole 300 games, 206 points 79 goals -16.

In what world does that point to Nico since their both play the same position?

EP is in another tier and very underrated defensively.
Little frail Elly had Bo protecting him and taking the harder assignments.

Look ma! I can be an immature _____ too!

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
its fairly simple which is the best place for him to play.
Option
A. Go back to a place where the habs have no control over his development and is known to be a more "defense first" style league
B. Send him to a place where they do have control on how he develops and would allow him to get used to the NA/NHL style.

Pretty obvious where he should be. The OHL would also be a terrible option as he would be the adult playing against kids. He wouldn't gain anything from such an experience.
Can you explain, what does "control over development" mean?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
What a poor idea to not draft Cooley as the 1st. This draft is like 2017, Slaf/Wright are Hischier/Patrick and the smart team gets Makar/Cooley. Take the guy with upside FFS.
That’s how you end up with Drouin over Barkov/MacKinnon/Jones . Luckily for Colorado and Florida they were smarter than that

Reactions: Xirik

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What would "do everything the big club asks" mean when it comes to Slafkovsky?
If they want him deployed on the Ice a certain way or want him to work on certain things on the ice then they do it.

Basically Laval its all about developing he player with winning being a secondary thing while in the Liga league the coach would always choose whats best for the team overall.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I feel bad for Juraj because now he has to carry the weight and expectations of being "former first overall pick.." which is assumed to mean that you are a franchise changing player. It will be tough for him to be that.. in most years he is not a first overall caliber player, it was just not a particularly standout draft at the top this particular year. I hope Montreal goes easy on him, but that's a tough market for a player to be given expectations that are likely above his level.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
on an even more positive note!

Even if Slafkovsky ended up being a 2nd liner the habs will probably have gotten at least three 2nd line players in the 1st round of the 2022 draft when all is said in done. Most teams would be jealous of such a haul.

(yes Beck is a 2nd but he's basically a 1st)
Buffalo is in the same boat with Savoie, Ostlund, and kulich

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Laval is the Habs farm team and owned by the Molson family. Laval has to do everything the Big club asks.
It’s only one season. The risk of going to the AHL too early is much bigger than learning “too much defense” in Finland for one more season. Especially since the defensive side of the game is what prevents a lot of prospects from making that jump to the NHL.

Reactions: Jukurit

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s only one season. The risk of going to the AHL too early is much bigger than learning “too much defense” in Finland for one more season. Especially since the defensive side of the game is what prevents a lot of prospects from making that jump to the NHL.
Nope.

CC is hardly a defensive giant but his scoring keeps him in the game.

Lot's of players couldn't find their own zone with a flashlight but 30-40 goals made that secondary.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Habs GM today on Slafkovsky:

-His two exhibition games have been "slightly underwhelming", however he was highly impressive in rookie tournament and scrimmages
-Slafkovsky led all Habs players in scoring chances by a "significant margin" throughout all intrasquad scrimmages
-Struggling a bit with consistency thus far overall, but has mostly looked really good
-Will do what's best for player, including sending him to AHL if necessary

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
If they want him deployed on the Ice a certain way or want him to work on certain things on the ice then they do it.

Basically Laval its all about developing he player with winning being a secondary thing while in the Liga league the coach would always choose whats best for the team overall.
I think winning should be the primary thing. If "winning choice" doesn't include Slafkovsky, then that just means that Slafkovsky isn't very good.

Reactions: Ippenator

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

-His two exhibition games have been "slightly underwhelming", however he was highly impressive in rookie tournament and scrimmages
-Slafkovsky led all Habs players in scoring chances by a "significant margin" throughout all intrasquad scrimmages
-Struggling a bit with consistency thus far overall, but has mostly looked really good
The only thing that people should be looking at this early in camp for a teenager is effort. It's borderline unprofessional to negatively comment on anything else at this point, at least publically.

Reactions: JohnLennon

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Don't you know it's gonna be alright.....

Reactions: JohnLennon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad