LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If I remember correctly, Kakko had like 5 pts in the first 2 games and only 2 in the last 8. Still, Kakko had an insane Liiga season on top of the solid WC performance.

Anyways focusing on Slaf, I liked his game today. He did try maybe one to many toe drags but he more than often makes a play out of it. Personally I would like to see him on the half wall for the powerplay and let him shoot more. Tatar isn’t really a one timer threat. Just let Slaf tee it up from there. I’ll be fascinated to see how he does against Canada, he will be matched up with top 6 nhl forwards while playing with an average Czech league C and a below ppg Slovak league winger. It’s a shame we couldn’t get a Studenic or Ruzicka to stick with him

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Slafkovsky and Slovakia got a real easy group. When the second best team in a group is one of Germany, Slovakia or Switzerland, you got a real easy group.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Slafkovsky and Slovakia got a real easy group. When the second best team in a group is one of Germany, Slovakia or Switzerland, you got a real easy group.
Unfortunately we are missing lots of players from Europe that could be here to help us, that were their at the Olympics. This makes it much harder group for us obviously. But still, I think we squeak into the QF’s. Of course if we get Cernak and Fehervary, my outlook would change a bit

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He sometimes takes too long of shifts but I really don’t mind with this roster. I think his 2 way game is pretty good as well, responsible in the d zone and gets PK time on occasion.
If our PP setup wasn’t so terrible I think he could have 2-3 more points right now. But still very good tourney so far. Now let’s pray that we don’t matchup vs our kryptonite in QF

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
He sometimes takes too long of shifts but I really don’t mind with this roster. I think his 2 way game is pretty good as well, responsible in the d zone and gets PK time on occasion.
If our PP setup wasn’t so terrible I think he could have 2-3 more points right now. But still very good tourney so far. Now let’s pray that we don’t matchup vs our kryptonite in QF

yeh, I really don't understand why they have him in front of the net. I know he is a big body; but his skills are completely wasted doing that.

Reactions: Rockomax

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Did Switzerland not just double up Canada?

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark just beat Canada
Switzerland went 7-0 with a +19 goal differential. My point was that it seems strange to include them on a list of teams that might be the second best team in the group. It seems even stranger to minimize the accomplishments of a draft eligible prospect because they were in a group where a team loaded with NHL veterans lost two games. Even if this is a weaker than normal World Championship field, Slafkovsky being 4th in scoring while playing for a non-contending team is still an impressive feat.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Switzerland went 7-0 with a +19 goal differential. My point was that it seems strange to include them on a list of teams that might be the second best team in the group. It seems even stranger to minimize the accomplishments of a draft eligible prospect because they were in a group where a team loaded with NHL veterans lost two games. Even if this is a weaker than normal World Championship field, Slafkovsky being 4th in scoring while playing for a non-contending team is still an impressive feat.
My man... Switzerland finished first in the group. I think that explains how weak the group is.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Or we can just ask another slovak basher.

I wonder when Slaf put up 50+ points next season in NHL if that will also be "fluke"....
If he manages that, I'll definitely have to eat crow.

Although I'm not his biggest fan, he has grown on me over the course of the WC.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If he manages that, I'll definitely have to eat crow.

Although I'm not his biggest fan, he has grown on me over the course of the WC.

I'm in the same boat all around. 50+ pts is a high ask. Eichel, Landeskog, and Laine are only guys outside of 1st that had 50+ pts in their D+1 since 05. Even just being a useful NHLer could be a high bar. Rantanen's probably the closest comparable when it comes to everything. Size, style, production is all very similar and Ranatanen played 9 games in his D+1 with 0 pts and spent the majority of the year in the AHL. Even his D+2 he put up 38 in 75.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'm in the same boat all around. 50+ pts is a high ask. I think Eiche, Landeskog, and Laine might be the only guys picked 2/3 that had 50+ pts in their D+1 since 05. Even just being a useful NHLer could be a high bar. Rantanen's probably the closest comparable when it comes to everything. Size, style, production is all very similar and Ranatanen played 9 games in his D+1 with 0 pts and spent the majority of the year in the AHL. Even his D+2 he put up 38 in 75.
I’m not sure Rantanen and Slafkovsky are that comparable really, Slafkovsky uses his body incredibly well for someone his age but makes some stupid mistakes here and there, Rantanen’s biggest weakness was not knowing how to use his size but was so smart he made very little mistakes.

That plus Rantanen being poor for national team while being good for his club, and Slaf is basically the opposite lol

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Or we can just ask another slovak basher.
What happened to "acting like adults here"? Have I ever said anything remotely negative about Slafkovsky? Or the new generation of Slovak prospects in general?

Or does one become a "Slovak basher" simply by telling off idiots who try to prove "Slovakia is a top-6 hockey country in the World" over PMs? If that's so oh well, I guess I can live with that.

Btw polish player Dominik Pas just signed with Dukla. Kind of suprising since the polish league is stronger than Slovakian league.

Not even a year ago by the way, the great Slovak lover.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What happened to "acting like adults here"? Have I ever said anything remotely negative about Slafkovsky? Or the new generation of Slovak prospects in general?

Or does one become a "Slovak basher" simply by telling off idiots who try to prove "Slovakia is a top-6 hockey country in the World" over PMs? If that's so oh well, I guess I can live with that.

Not even a year ago by the way, the great Slovak lover.
I was being ironic about slovakian league being worse than polish league. Thought the polish league gets better and better.

So you agree slaf should be taken 1-3?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I was being ironic about slovakian league being worse than polish league. Thought the polish league gets better and better.

So you agree slaf should be taken 1-3?
Hm.. Few months ago you said you were wrong, now you were ironic. Interesting. What point were you making with this "ironic" statement then? You have repeated it a few times as well by the way, much irony. The only ironic thing here are your pathetic attempts to talk shit all the time yet try to make others look bad. And spread your squabbles through 5 threads at the same time.

I don't know and I don't care, I thought you spend enough time on these boards to notice NHL draft isn't the thing I'm particularly interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad