LW James Malatesta - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2021, 133rd, CBJ)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
JAMES MALATESTA SE JOINT AUX REMPARTS – Remparts de Québec

Forward James Malatesta who was one the best players at Hockey Canada U17 camp this summer has decided to sign with the Quebec Remparts. He had left their camp after 48 hours to keep his NCAA eligibility. Ten days later, he decided to come back for good. He was supposed to play for Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire this season.

He was ranked 11th overall in the last Q Draft but fell to 116th (7th round).

Reactions: Dominance

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Very competitive player who plays with a lot of grit, has high-end skating ability, a great shot and good skills. He's a guy that can change the game and is a consistent threat off the rush, very dangerous player when he has open ice to gain some speed.

On the downside, his playmaking ability is probably not as good as you'd like and for a player who relies on his phyiscal game that much, he is very small at around 5'9. Good player, NHL upside is still to be determined for me but he should have a significant QMJHL career.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Very competitive player who plays with a lot of grit, has high-end skating ability, a great shot and good skills. He's a guy that can change the game and is a consistent threat off the rush, very dangerous player when he has open ice to gain some speed.

On the downside, his playmaking ability is probably not as good as you'd like and for a player who relies on his phyiscal game that much, he is very small at around 5'9. Good player, NHL upside is still to be determined for me but he should have a significant QMJHL career.
He’s 5.9 at 16 he’s fine.

He’s a big time player, scores on the big stages against the best. He’ll play in the NHL, has underrated hands and good puck protection. He’s strong like a bull too.

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He’s 5.9 at 16 he’s fine.

He’s a big time player, scores on the big stages against the best. He’ll play in the NHL, has underrated hands and good puck protection. He’s strong like a bull too.

Very good hands and very strong yes. Hasn't grown in 2 years though, I think he's done there. Too early to say NHL for me, but I like him.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He wasnt 5.9 his first year bantam. He’ll hit 5.11 Atleast IMO. Either way kid is a truck and has room to put on weight, he’s a lean strong which is crazy.

You're right. He was 5'6 and 135 lbs at the start of the 2016-17 season (first year Bantam)

I still have the list

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He'll have a chance to shine right away. He'll start the season on the first line with Felix Bibeau and Pierrick Dube.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
2 goals (including one on your first shift at 24 seconds of the first period), 8 shots on goal and 4 hits... not a bad start to your QMJHL career. :nod:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Tied for second in QMJHL Goals with Lafreniere and Sokolov

malate12.png

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I remember stepping on the ice with this kid in peewee, he was a first year. Had the hardest shot on the ice, I knew then he was special. Kid was overpowering goalies at that age.

I remember provincials he scored one from slightly on the blue line, if I recall correctly. Anyways it wasn’t a snipe, it kinda sneaked in, goalie just couldn’t handle it. Was a hard shot and it was heavy.

he’s built like a truck too.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
JAMES MALATESTA SE JOINT AUX REMPARTS – Remparts de Québec

Forward James Malatesta who was one the best players at Hockey Canada U17 camp this summer has decided to sign with the Quebec Remparts. He had left their camp after 48 hours to keep his NCAA eligibility. Ten days later, he decided to come back for good. He was supposed to play for Kimball Union Academy in New Hampshire this season.

He was ranked 11th overall in the last Q Draft but fell to 116th (7th round).

Why did he fell so much?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Had a 15 game goalless streak thou... 3 goals in his last 2 with 16 shots on goal.

He still averaged 4 shots per game during that streak. The puck just didn't want to go in. He had a 23 % shooting accuracy before so I don't think it was sustainable.

He also played in the U17 tournament in the middle of that streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad