LW Florian Xhekaj - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2023, 101st, MTL)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I like wifi junior but he is an overager playing against mostly younger kids. Any decent hockey player will look great in this situation. I'd hold my horses on the hype. He might make 4th line nhl just from toughness and fighting ability though if he can avoid stupid mistakes.
To be clear, he is not an overager. This is his age 19 season. Next year he would be an overager.

I do agree that he profiles a 4th liner if he makes it. I think ultimately you set the bar as maybe he can be a better Nicolas Deslauriers. I would send him back to the OHL next season as a 20 year old to dominate offensively. I don't think playing a minimal role in the AHL next season would be a good thing.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
To be clear, he is not an overager. This is his age 19 season. Next year he would be an overager.

I do agree that he profiles a 4th liner if he makes it. I think ultimately you set the bar as maybe he can be a better Nicolas Deslauriers. I would send him back to the OHL next season as a 20 year old to dominate offensively. I don't think playing a minimal role in the AHL next season would be a good thing.
hitting 70 points would be nice ?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I like wifi junior but he is an overager playing against mostly younger kids. Any decent hockey player will look great in this situation. I'd hold my horses on the hype. He might make 4th line nhl just from toughness and fighting ability though if he can avoid stupid mistakes.
He makes some good decisions and translates his skills to give him a chance at winning the battle. His skating sometimes shows he possesses quality iQ of the game. I see some fight to his game which helps. All in all I think a good 4th line player in the NHL is an underrated thing.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I would send him back to the OHL next season as a 20 year old to dominate offensively. I don't think playing a minimal role in the AHL next season would be a good thing.

He also needs more reps at Centre. I think that extra season in the O would help greatly there. Then a couple of seasons in the A and he'll be good to go.

I think he gets to the NHL but he takes the scenic route.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'd probably send him back to junior. Laval is already a young team and we will be adding Beck, Mesar, Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom... Maybe one of the D makes the team but still.

Considering he lost a year of development with COVID, it's not dramatic to send him back.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'd probably send him back to junior. Laval is already a young team and we will be adding Beck, Mesar, Hutson, Reinbacher, Engstrom... Maybe one of the D makes the team but still.

Considering he lost a year of development with COVID, it's not dramatic to send him back.
He also need to bulk up and knowing his genes he will most likely be challenged a lot when he turns pro. Better stay one more junior season.

Reactions: jfhabs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

He has the potential to be far more than Deslauriers if he improves his skating.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
His progression curve is definitely interesting, really similar to his bro's tbh. Hopefully he keeps it up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think he'll play the next game since it's in 2 days as I assume he hasn't been with the team yet so Houle might not risk it since it's a must win game for Laval who by win % is barely out of the last playoff spot but by pts is just holding on but everyone has games in hand on us. I would play him but not sure Houle would as he didn't with Roy last year I believe for the 1st 2 games he watched from the press box before putting him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad