LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Caufield was a pretty good ‘faller’ pick by Timmins. So was PK Subban.
IMG_4131.jpeg
IMG_4132.jpeg
Timmins was amongst the worst performing drafters in the league during his time at Montréal, I wouldn’t be using him as a point of reference for Eiserman

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
View attachment 856922View attachment 856924 Timmins was amongst the worst performing drafters in the league during his time at Montréal, I wouldn’t be using him as a point of reference for Eiserman
Off topic but,

Timmins was terrible from 2008 to 2018 Why? Because those were the years Bergevin developed players who were drafted.

From 2003-2007 and 2018-21 Timmins has a pretty good success rate. He gets stars, superstars, late pick players who make the NHL….

Bottom line is that Bergevin was an idiot and had no idea how to develop players. But this would take a long time to break down and I’m not going to let it hijack the thread. Suffice it to say, Timmins was better than you think.

Want to discuss it further? Head to the Montreal forum and post your thoughts there. I’ll be happy to respond.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Off topic but,

Timmins was terrible from 2008 to 2018 Why? Because those were the years Bergevin developed players who were drafted.

From 2003-2007 and 2018-21 Timmins has a pretty good success rate. He gets stars, superstars, late pick players who make the NHL….

Bottom line is that Bergevin was an idiot and had no idea how to develop players. But this would take a long time to break down and I’m not going to let it hijack the thread. Suffice it to say, Timmins was better than you think.

Want to discuss it further? Head to the Montreal forum and post your thoughts there. I’ll be happy to respond.
It's always hard to judge since we don't know what's really going on internally . Did the GM stepped in on some picks (KK, McCarron,etc) or gave strict direction (draft LHDs or I want a center in the 1st round).? And after that some might blame development. Imo for that big of a sample size it's hard to blame it on development because the good players will find their way no matter what.

Back to Eiserman, I think him Silayev and Parekh are the hardest player to project in terms of draft position. I could see all of them being picked 5-7 or all the way down to 15...

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's always hard to judge since we don't know what's really going on internally . Did the GM stepped in on some picks (KK, McCarron,etc) or gave strict direction (draft LHDs or I want a center in the 1st round).? And after that some might blame development. Imo for that big of a sample size it's hard to blame it on development because the good players will find their way no matter what.

Back to Eiserman, I think him Silayev and Parekh are the hardest player to project in terms of draft position. I could see all of them being picked 5-7 or all the way down to 15...
Eiserman clearly has holes in his game. But he skates well, can pass, has decent size. To me, the upside is huge. It all boils down to whether or not you think he’s coachable.

There’s no doubt he can score. You can’t teach that. But I think you can teach him the rest.

I totally get why he’s a polarizing player.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I think GMs are more and more looking for kids with growth mindsets. These things are probably identified well before the combine interviews but certainly revealed in those interviews.

This one quote points towards Eiserman having a fixed mindset. Suggestive that he won't put in the extra work to reach his potential.
It's funny because that article talks a lot about how he does put in the effort and a lot of extra time working on his stuff.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's funny because that article talks a lot about how he does put in the effort and a lot of extra time working on his stuff.
I think the questions around him are really about IQ. It sounds like he throws hits but does it at the wrong times. Goes to check but makes the wrong decision... the talent is there but he's going to need a good coach.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
For all of the scrutiny and hand-wringing Eiserman continues to put the puck in the net. Doing that right now at the u18s. He's not a "sure thing" I suppose (few are) but you can count on that goal scoring and I believe it will translate to the NHL level. Considering how weak this draft is, I still think he goes high to a team that needs scorers.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
The comparison for Eiserman I keep thinking of is that he's a shorter version of Patrik Laine. Laine is a solid player who has an elite shot, can score and be a ppg player, but he's also a one dimensional player with a lot of warts in his game. Feels like Eiserman has the same strengths and weaknesses.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, it was a HT, but none of the goals were exactly works of art, and he could've been carrying eggs in his pants and not broken any of them against that defense.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's U18 competition. Don't expect to be consistently wow'd by the goals outside of the rare clip here or there. The ones that you do, where like Hagens stickhandled through multiple defenders, are also of the "well that'll never work against good competition" variety.

Don't have to love the prospect but don't see a particular need to neg his goals. We know he can score in bunches as that's all he ever does.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This guy can’t win. Scores a hat trick but “two of his goals were terrible…”

I mean, I just don’t know how this guy gets absolutely no respect from some people.
The last thing I will do (with any prospect btw not just him even if my favourite prospect did that) is base/change my opinion on a U18 game with a one sided score line.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Thought he was just ok todat, he’s not really improved since I saw him last year. Doesn’t really drive play well and is a bit lazy in his own zone. Good hands in tight though and obviously good sense for goal scoring. Some team will take him in the top 10 for his goal scoring exploits but it’s not the type of player I love

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Exactly my thought, goals 2 and 3 were horrible. 1 was decent.
Most goals that are scored in the NHL aren't pretty goals. I actually think prospects that rely too much on "nice" goals tend to have a much harder time translating to the next level. Guys who go to the net to get ugly goals are much more projectable IMO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Eiserman clearly has holes in his game. But he skates well, can pass, has decent size. To me, the upside is huge. It all boils down to whether or not you think he’s coachable.

There’s no doubt he can score. You can’t teach that. But I think you can teach him the rest.

I totally get why he’s a polarizing player.
If he's coachable, it really shouldn't be a problem. He's arguably the best pure goal scorer in the draft. Yeah, his all around game could use some work, but it's no worse than the guy who was the best goal scorer from last year's draft.

Obviously, Eiserman isn't Bedard, but I'd rather draft a guy with superstar potential and hope he can mature his game than draft a well rounded player and hope he magically learns to be a 50 goal scorer.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I think its a bit of a catch 22 for American prospects at this event. If they dominate on the scoresheet its: "So what? He's playing on an all star team that plays together all year, player X should be dominating." If they're not its: "Why isn't player X scoring, he's playing on an all star team that plays together all year."

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Criticizing Eiserman for scoring ‘ugly’ goals is insane—that’s literally his game. I think people have this image of Eiserman as this lazy sniper when that’s not the case at all. He scores goals in every way it’s possible so score goals.

Still don’t like him in the top-10, but the way he gets criticized by some is nuts.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It's already trendy to criticize Eiserman at this point. It doesn't matter what he does, the HF geniuses are hoping that they can say i told you so.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Can he be like a Later Career Ovechkin, where he was not really driving play as much, but was still competing for Rockets up until very recently?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Less time evaluating the box score, more time evaluating the process.

Goals can be ugly or pretty, but the shooting and scoring process really matters for determining scalability.

It really really matters when it's more or less the only thing a prospect has going for him.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I think I remember watching Crosby and thinking ‘man he gets a lot of garbage goals’. But then I started to think, maybe he’s just that good, always being in the right position/right place at the right time to score that much.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad