LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did you see what or there was no way of knowing?

if you see the vid I posted, at the 9:18 mark you can see him get hit, he stays down for a bit and looks to be in a lot of pain when he heads off. Never returned although the OT was short so maybe he would have played but they never said one way or the other if he was back or not but I never saw him after the hit.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A
Probably scouts starting to remember centermen and big D have more value than true scoring wingers
Especially moderately sized LHS wings. The fact that he couldn't force his way onto the WJC team also keeps him out of sight and mind. I loved Eiserman last year, but have barely seen him this year. Hopefully he bubbles back up in public view in a couple of months.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
It's been an interesting year for Eiserman. He started the season on fire and had 18 goals in first 11 games. I'm not sure exactly why, but his game started to fall off around Halloween. Then he got hurt in early December. There's been plenty of 'not a great game, but finished with a goal' type of games. He's also had some rough games. The Michigan State game in particular I thought he was horrible and there were probably a lot of eyes on that game which did Eiserman no favors.

He's played most of the season with Bednarik. The coaching staff clearly disagrees, but I don't like those two together. Two good players so they'll get their points, but it always felt to me that the chemistry wasn't great. I thought that was a Bednarik problem, but then I thought Bednarik played his best hockey of the season when Eiserman was out of the lineup.. The Sioux Falls series this weekend, they went back to basics and put Hagens and Eiserman together for the first time this season (or at least for the first time in the games I've seen, which is most of them). If this continues, playing with Hagens, there should be no excuses for Eiserman.

There's plenty to nitpick in Eiserman's game. He can be turnover prone. He can have blinders on where he forces shots. Compete and hockey sense are a mixed bag. The concerning thing is that he hasn't improved in these areas from his D-1 year. But at the the end of the day, he's a gamebreaker. Just needs one chance and it's in the back of the net. The shot is elite and he has plus hands and speed.

I'm not tied to the idea that he has to be 2nd overall or has to be top 5, but if I'm passing on Eiserman, I want a projectable point per game center or a 25 minute a night defenseman. Short of that, I'm taking the winger with 50 goal upside and can live with the flaws.

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
It's pretty wild how much his whole journey has become so similar to Kessel's regarding his draft stock. I know there were some character concerns with Kessel's maturity and I haven't heard any of that in regards to Eiserman, moreso just the playstyle and the ebs and flows of where he ends up in the draft

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's pretty wild how much his whole journey has become so similar to Kessel's regarding his draft stock. I know there were some character concerns with Kessel's maturity and I haven't heard any of that in regards to Eiserman, moreso just the playstyle and the ebs and flows of where he ends up in the draft
That’s a good comparison. I think Kessel has more playmaking, but you would sign up for the career of Kessel with the second or third pick.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
A

Especially moderately sized LHS wings. The fact that he couldn't force his way onto the WJC team also keeps him out of sight and mind. I loved Eiserman last year, but have barely seen him this year. Hopefully he bubbles back up in public view in a couple of months.
The 3 first line were stacked with talent, and a 17 young years old Eiserman is probably not ideal as a 4th line role. I don't think the WJC selection changes anything. He'll be a lock next year.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He makes bad decisions. Relies too much on his skill and nose for the net, with very little sense for puck travel elsewhere. I can see coaches killing him for ruining a cycle in favor of a low-pct shot. I get the sense the only reason why he dishes the puck in the offensive zone is to expect it back. He is still top-five caliber but will be under an intense microscope for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Hinterland

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I'm no scout, but the gist of it seems to be that he's one dimensional and may not ever be more than that? The question then is how good is that dimension. If it's "challenge for the Richard every year" level then one dimensional is fine, you can live with everything else. If it's only 30ish goals a year, it depends on how high you're picking.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What's his attitude? Kid with weaknesses that knows it and will do what it takes to get rid of those or malcontent like a teenage Kessel that ignores criticism because he scores?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What's his attitude? Kid with weaknesses that knows it and will do what it takes to get rid of those or malcontent like a teenage Kessel that ignores criticism because he scores?

Attitude seems fine. Body language could be better when things don’t go his way, but it’s a good sign he’s trying to improve in other areas. I think BU will get the best out of him. His NTDP numbers are great and I think 30 goals in the NCAA as a freshman is a real possibility. Kessel was quiet, shy, insecure from what I gather but still ended up a borderline HHOF with three Cups and almost 1000 points.

To me, there’s not a ton of risk in drafting Eiserman top five. He’s earned it and is the purest goal scorer in his class. But he’ll need a strong supporting cast IMO.

Reactions: Zarzh

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
He does seem to know what his weaknesses are, but if he can improve on them and move away from a reliance in shooting is the question.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019

Honest question, what exactly is the dataset here? Assuming the numbers are tracked correctly, which is an assumption within itself, the NTDP play basically in 3 different leagues (USHL / NCAA / international).

Is this in comparison to other draft eligible prospects? Other NTDP players? If it's the former, the numbers aren't very useful..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad