LW/C Jonathan Dahlen (2016, 42nd, OTT; traded to VAN; traded to SJS)

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Dahlen looks AHL/NHL ready already . I cant quite put my finger on a stylistic comparable NHL player tho.

I was having trouble with that too but honestly, I think he reminds me a little bit of Zuccarello for the Rangers, slight build, really shifty and clever on the ice, quick but not blazing fast....

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dahlen has been the most impressive person at the Canucks camp, more so than Boeser, Pettersson, and Juolevi

Great to hear... Several of us Sens fans thought we gave up too much for Burrows. I am one of those for sure. but I lived in Van for a few years and followed the Canucks. I always like Burrows, and wanted him at the TDL , but not for Dahlen

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was having trouble with that too but honestly, I think he reminds me a little bit of Zuccarello for the Rangers, slight build, really shifty and clever on the ice, quick but not blazing fast....

He reminds me of Bracco... They both can do that pivot thing with their toes pointed out.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Great to hear... Several of us Sens fans thought we gave up too much for Burrows. I am one of those for sure. but I lived in Van for a few years and followed the Canucks. I always like Burrows, and wanted him at the TDL , but not for Dahlen

Meh, value wise it may not have been fair, but it's one of those trades you should make as a contending team.
If it pays off and you get a deep run, then it's not that bad.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
thats a mohawk turn. I would hope every single NHL player can do it haha ;)

but incorporating it effectively into their game is the hard part.

As someone who has been around hockey at lots of levels for ~20 years, I've never once heard of a mohawk turn. It's just him opening up.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I think he reminds me a bit like Jussi Jokinen, whether that's a "better than Jussi" or "Jussi-lite" remains to be seen.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
As someone who has been around hockey at lots of levels for ~20 years, I've never once heard of a mohawk turn. It's just him opening up.

I remember it being called that back when I was young and doing some power skating training. I would've been about 10 I think so that's 15 years ago. Might just be not a hugely popular term.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Jeff Skinner is the best comparable for him IMO. I know Skinner is an incredible skater but Dahlen is a much better skater than most in here are giving him credit for.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
That's what next year is for. Bring both of them over next year to be comets.

Pettersson shouldn't even sniff the AHL next year he needs to get a lot stronger before being considered for the AHL. It isn't really a better league than the SHL but it's more demanding physically.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I remember it being called that back when I was young and doing some power skating training. I would've been about 10 I think so that's 15 years ago. Might just be not a hugely popular term.

I do recall the term being used quite a while ago...ina class room ... and it is not widely used... times may definitely have changed since I would have heard it though. I coached AAA and AA and focuses a lot on skating but unfortunately for my players did not cover this.

Bracco and Dahlen use this more than most players

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
thats a mohawk turn. I would hope every single NHL player can do it haha ;)

but incorporating it effectively into their game is the hard part.

In Sweden, that's called or at least used to be called "doing an Uffe Dahlén", named of course after Jonathan's father.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
In Sweden, that's called or at least used to be called "doing an Uffe Dahlén", named of course after Jonathan's father.

Exactly! And when Ulf did it he was called "Charlie Chaplin". That skating "style" made him one of the best bord players of his days. Always found it funny he taught his son that "Dahlén" skating style.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Exactly! And when Ulf did it he was called "Charlie Chaplin". That skating "style" made him one of the best bord players of his days. Always fonuce und it funny he taught his son that "Dahlén" skating style.

Nice nice. Now, how would you feel if he did not teach him the Dahlen style of skating ?

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
The AHL is a better league to get players acclimated to NA ice size and physicality, but the SHL is higher skill level for sure

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen has been the most impressive person at the Canucks camp, more so than Boeser, Pettersson, and Juolevi

I'm not sure what development camp you watched, unless this post is aimed at 'mild trolling' of the Sens fans who are still anxious about giving him up.

From my observations Dahlen came pretty must as advertised.....skilled hands down low but hardly the fastest guy in camp.....in fact his skating will needs more work imo....and was he more impressive than Boeser, Pettersson or Juolevi?...hardly.

Dahlen could find his way to Utica, but more likely heads back to play another season in Sweden, hopefully in the SHL.....should be a lock for Sweden's WJC team though.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I believe he will be too old for the tournament since he turns 20 in December.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

If he turns into Zuccarello, that would be amazing. Probably a long shot, though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not sure what development camp you watched, unless this post is aimed at 'mild trolling' of the Sens fans who are still anxious about giving him up.

From my observations Dahlen came pretty must as advertised.....skilled hands down low but hardly the fastest guy in camp.....in fact his skating will needs more work imo....and was he more impressive than Boeser, Pettersson or Juolevi?...hardly.

Dahlen could find his way to Utica, but more likely heads back to play another season in Sweden, hopefully in the SHL.....should be a lock for Sweden's WJC team though.

He has less than a 0% shot at the WJC team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad