LW Arthur Kaliyev (2019, 33rd, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
It seems strange to me that Team USA is using him in the slot on the powerplay. I would think that you'd want him on the boards, where teammates could tee him up to shoot the puck, which is the one thing that he does really well.
Isn't he used as a triggerman though? I thought Caufield was the one playing the slot.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
His play away from the puck drives my crazy. He is going to need some serious AHL time to become a responsible hockey player.
True, but that can definitely be taught. Can’t teach his size and skill. To me he needs to gain a step. It’s his skating that would keep him from having a career in the National League. Unless he can develop some mean, changes how he plays, and contributes more like a Patrick Maroon role, of course. Players can change roles. But if he is going to contribute as a top six scorer, he’s got to gain a step.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
True, but that can definitely be taught. Can’t teach his size and skill. To me he needs to gain a step. It’s his skating that would keep him from having a career in the National League. Unless he can develop some mean, changes how he plays, and contributes more like a Patrick Maroon role, of course. Players can change roles. But if he is going to contribute as a top six scorer, he’s got to gain a step.

Sometimes players pick up that stuff late, but we've also seen some very talented players bust before because they just aren't good when the puck isn't on their stick. And when I watch Kaliyev I think he would still piss me off if he was faster. He just doesn't think the game the way you'd like, he seems disinterested more than slow.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Lol I'll just cut to the chase. He's a stronger player on his "weak" side, i.e. his "one-timer" side, "off-wing" side.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
One thing I’d like the see the US do with him is utilize him on his strong side - RW. Far too often he’s been on the left, which is where he hasn’t played in the OHL at all. He’s a RW.

He's listed as a LW on this thread, he must have played it a decent amount

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Underwhelming

I scratch my head whenever I watch him play.

No idea why he is so high in the USA lineup.

Longshot to be an NHL regular

Reactions: jfhabs

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Kid had COVID and missed all of camp. These are the first games he played since February. He is playing on his off wing. Scored a ton of goals with a lethal one timer the last few hears from the top of the circles on his off side.

He is a step behind no doubt but he also is getting his hands legs and lungs up to speed during Game situations. Hoping to see him get better every game.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
He's listed as a LW on this thread, he must have played it a decent amount
Elite Prospects also has him listed as LW (probably the source for the thread title), while Hockey DB has him RW. Likely just a simple error by Elite Prospects.

I haven’t watched Kaliyev prior to the OHL but in his 3 years of OHL, he has not been a LW (5 on 5 or power play). If he hasn’t been used in any other position aside from RW in his last 3 years of OHL, it’s safe to say he’s a RW. I know this because I’m a die-hard Hamilton Bulldogs fan and have missed only a handful of games in the 3 years he has played in OHL.

The way the USA has been utilizing him on the PP is like only wearing sunglasses on cloudy days. If you wear them on sunny days you will maximize their ability and fully reap the benefits.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Man, you read this thread and you would think the guy never accomplished anything and is having a terrible tournament and just played a particularly poor game.
well he hasn't been good in the tournament but just had his best game and obviously the clutch goal. More than can be said about Caufield.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
this kid gets so much unwarranted hate lol.

he's been great on the forecheck the last few games. using his size and reach to create space for himself as well as his teammates. also a great and responsible passer who makes smart plays with the puck.
Also one of quite few americans who consistently goes to the middle of the ice.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
His body language isnt doing him any favours.

He just knows how to put the puck in the net though. I cant recall I have seen a harder slapshot from a junior player ever.

There are goals out there and nobody, neither were the referees, knew the puck hit the back of the net.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see what the problem is with him. He's got nice size, decent strength, and will get stronger. He's no more slow than Lundell is. He has decent or better passing ability, and a world class shot. You pair him with a passer like Granlund and a guy who will do the dirty work.

He's no Teemu Pulkinnen who has a world class shot, but can't get to his spot in the NHL because he is slow and weak( relatively speaking).

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad