Injury Report: Luongo expected to miss the start of the season (cleared to play 9/22)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Did he have a total hip replacement?

If so, that is not minor surgery and the rehab takes time.

No, he didn't have a hip replacement. I'm told it was a shaving, although that's very general as I don't know how extensive / invasive.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No, he didn't have a hip replacement. I'm told it was a shaving, although that's very general as I don't know how extensive / invasive.

http://surfacehippy.info/what-is-the-typical-recovery-time-after-a-hip-resurfacing/

Just did some quick searches on hip shaving or "hip resurfacing" as they seem to call it.

From Dr. Bose - he sounds like he knows what he's saying :naughty:

There is no post –op restrictions after a Hip Resurfacing operation and the patient can use it as a ‘normal hip’. However the soft tissues around the Hip Joint,which were contracted at the time of the hip disease,will take time to relax following the excellent movement that has been restored in the hip. Hence if there is pain while attempting a certain activity like sitting on the floor, it implies the patient is not yet ready for that particular activity. One can give a gap of about a week and then try it again. Like wise the activity level improves in a stepwise manner till the soft tissues also become normal. Patient is ready for sports (inclusive of contact sport) at about 3 months post-op.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
The days of top-level Luongo might be over.

If we can manage his workload properly (which is now very do-able with the addition of Reimer), he'll still be able to play at a high level.

I'll be shocked if he plays more than 45-50 games this upcoming season.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
As a leaf fan I can tell you that you folks are vastly underrating Reims , look at his stats before he pulled his groin last Xmas and you will see a Goalie that was top 3 in goals against and save % , better in fact than your boy Lou ,his numbers got sunk by the team going into tank mode with half our starters on IR , look at what he did in San Jose and I can tell you that as long as your D can gobble up rebounds and close down passing lanes better than the scrubs we iced in toronto the past few years Reims is going to win some games for you .

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
As a leaf fan I can tell you that you folks are vastly underrating Reims , look at his stats before he pulled his groin last Xmas and you will see a Goalie that was top 3 in goals against and save % , better in fact than your boy Lou ,his numbers got sunk by the team going into tank mode with half our starters on IR , look at what he did in San Jose and I can tell you that as long as your D can gobble up rebounds and close down passing lanes better than the scrubs we iced in toronto the past few years Reims is going to win some games for you .

that's what i'm hoping for. i'm hoping reims is our goalie of the future, if not the present.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
That is great news. I suspect he will have limited starts the 1st month or so with us having Reimer now. Think they will split the games 50/50 to ease him into game condition.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
That is great news. I suspect he will have limited starts the 1st month or so with us having Reimer now. Think they will split the games 50/50 to ease him into game condition.

No need to rush him. Start the first month with Reimer/Berra and Panthers might lose nothing, the season is so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad