Injury Report: Luongo expected to miss the start of the season (cleared to play 9/22)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We won't make playoffs. Weak defense and in net now. Main reason in all games last year was because of Luongo. Taking a huge step back now.

I don't know why so many are thinking this way.

1st Toronto has been a hot mess, and now finally Reimers steps into a contender so he could have a strong year next year, he's still just 28y, and he will give time for Luongo to get 100% healthy and be stronger on the 2nd half which is huge.

2nd the defense, Florida has 2 top pairing level D-players, only Tampa can say the same in this division.
Boston has 1 top pairing D-player who is declining, the next best is offensive #4.
Montreal has Weber and after that nothing special, Detroit, what do they have? Pretty much nothing on defense and Ottawa has Karlsson.
The defense is getting badly underrated here and Florida has 2way top6 which will help the defense also.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Makes all the sense in the world. My critics of lou mid to end of year was lateral movement.. post to post... this makes so much sense

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
And end panic

[Tweet]748963519266222081[/MEDIA]

Player do go under the knife constantly but usually they don't sign replacements for them just like that. The Panthers mgmt are definitely expecting that Luo won't be coming back.

ytsur*

Player do go under the knife constantly but usually they don't sign replacements for them just like that. The Panthers mgmt are definitely expecting that Luo won't be coming back.

LOL the Panthers were bringing in a goalie regardless. Montoya wasn't re-signed and weren't they looking at Talbot last offseason? It's also called insurance and expansion draft. If anything, Reimer is the bridge between Luongo and Montembeault. And the term certainly makes him a tradeable asset if need be.

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
Can someone explain why if this injury is from hockey Luo would retire and not be out on ltir

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
LOL the Panthers were bringing in a goalie regardless. Montoya wasn't re-signed and weren't they looking at Talbot last offseason? It's also called insurance and expansion draft. If anything, Reimer is the bridge between Luongo and Montembeault. And the term certainly makes him a tradeable asset if need be.

Quite a bridge at that term. Dallas has similar tradeable assets too.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Would it be retiring or LTIR?
Well if I were Lu it would be LTIR. He's not going to be a dummy and leave all that $$$ on the table.

Have to see how this plays out. If he truly had his hip shaved it is a minor operation where the impingements (bone spurs are shaved during arthroscopy) thus reducing pain. Having a tear in the labrum (what Huby had) is a much more involved rehab as the labrum is specific to the function of the hip.

Harvey reported right after the surgery on 6/4/16 that the team expected Lu to be ready for the start of the season. Something changed in the last week where Viola felt it necessary to meet with Reimer personally in NYC to discuss getting him signed. If they expect him back on 11/1/16 as reported, I find it hard to believe they would need to sign a G for 5 years (although the price is a tweener between a starter and backup). Wonder if the trainer Zenobi was working with Lu on his rehab.:sarcasm:

It's possible that they just discovered further damage to hip area. Could be a labrum tear, or could be worse. Time will tell. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't think the length of the contract signifies a luongo retirement or even being scared about his health. we know they've been looking for someone who can share the load for the next 2-3 seasons and eventually become the starter. tallon tried to get talbot, and if we did, which was last offseason, we might've signed him to a 5 or 6yr deal too. reimer and talbot aren't far off age wise, and reimer actually ended up being cheaper than talbot annually, he was probably on their radar for a while now.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Lu has been skating at the ice den every day from what I've heard. Wouldn't be surprised to see him be the opening night starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad