Post-Game Talk: Lundqvist'd. Jets lose 3-1.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We do need Lowry’s size and physical play in our lineup. We also can use another Lowry.

Tanev helps with physicality but he’s such a black hole offensively it’s frustrating to watch him in the ozone.

Maybe a Lowry is the kind of player we target before the TDL, if such a player exists and we find a spot for them?

Reactions: robertocarlos

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think anyone is 'panicking'. It's just disconcerting to see your team lose focus in a game that they could have done better in, in a division that has teams separated by only a few points.

I understand that we aren't going to win every game, but this is what people come here to discuss. I'm not sure anyone has to simply 'deal with it' or else this would be a pretty boring place.
I'm not trying to squash discussion but let's be rational about things. There is a sense of panic by some imo, they lost a close game they should have won, some of the logic going on here doesn't correlate at all with how 2/3rds of the season has gone.

Reactions: Jets 31

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
People saying do not panic when the Jets throw away 2 points on a team they should have beat in a winnable game.

I would say people are a little concerned with being a wild card team with 5 mores losses in this very tight division.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
People saying do not panic when the Jets throw away 2 points on a team they should have beat in a winnable game.

I would say people are a little concerned with being a wild card team with 5 mores losses in this very tight division.

I guess Dallas should be panicking as well given they threw 2 points away against Nucks.

Teams don't always win the games they should. If the Jets get back on track over the next two games then their won't be any cause for concern.

Reactions: Ducky10

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Seemed like Maurice was expressing his displeasure with Myers’ read on the first goal.

He acknowledged a bad pass by Ehlers, but also noted there should be coverage there. But Myers had blown the zone and was ahead of the play. He was unable to recover when the pass misfired.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I hate saying “well at least the team put in a better effort” than the trash they put on the ice against Arizona and St. Louis, but that’s the silver lining here. I’m not hitting the panic button but I am salty again after that game.

Reading the Rangers’ PGT and their rage against the team’s inability to tank properly made me feel a bit better. Not so much out of schadenfreude but out of being glad we aren’t having PGTs like that in the Jets forum. I also liked reading during their GDT that Maurice was noticeably ornery all game. He’s not accept the BS performances from the team of late, at least, and I think he’ll get them motivated.

Central is so inane though that the Jets better get their act together fast. Seems like no one else in or division ever has bad streaks.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I would panic if the Jets played 4 or 5 games in a row like they did against St . Louis . The Jets out played the Rangers by quite a bit , the play was almost all in the Rangers zone for the first and 3rd periods .

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Lundqvist played lights out end of discussion. AV called out Lundqvist when management decided to tank blaming him for the Rangers being out of a playoff spot ... reported in the NYPost on February 9th.

I guess it looks bad for the league when a team announces they are tanking ... Rangers win 2 games in a row against Canadian teams ... hmmmmm.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Dustin Byfugilen is what i do when i wash my car , had to post this again just because i think it's hilarious . :laugh:

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Hoping after this game there is some sort of reset. Just like when the Jets lost their First 2 games this season. They’ll go back on a tear and remind the league they are nothing to f%#k wit.
fsKFhQgp_400x400.jpg

Reactions: KingBogo and DRC

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Seemed like Maurice was expressing his displeasure with Myers’ read on the first goal.

He acknowledged a bad pass by Ehlers, but also noted there should be coverage there. But Myers had blown the zone and was ahead of the play. He was unable to recover when the pass misfired.
He's right, Morrissey was trailing the play against the wall on the strong side and Myers was on his way past Laine. It was still a terrible play by Ehlers, no way Myers or most players would expect someone to do something so careless, but Myers still needs to manage his play better in those situations. He made a risky play as well, in a situation that wasn't likely to create much reward. It's fine to play high event hockey but you still need to consider the risk. Little was pretty careless as well, although he was in the right position to actually get the puck if Ehlers hadn't made such a poor play.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
tide-2018-02-11-2017020854-NYRatWPG.png

As much as I want to say that we just got goalied, that second period prevents me from doing so. Playing for the entire 60 minutes is such an essential part of hockey that failing to do so does not really allow you to play any excuse cards.

Then again, this type of play would often have resulted in a regulation win. This time, it didn't.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I hope you're not expecting a deep run with such an inexperienced team.

Define "deep run". If you mean "winning the first two rounds", even a team so good that they were 2-1 favorites over each opponent would be underdogs to make a "deep run".

In any case, the Jets are one of the best teams in the league and their chances of winning the Cup are small, every team's chances of winning that tournament are small, and their chances aren't so bad that it's outrageous to treat it as a real possibility.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Define "deep run". If you mean "winning the first two rounds", even a team so good that they were 2-1 favorites over each opponent would be underdogs to make a "deep run".

In any case, the Jets are one of the best teams in the league and their chances of winning the Cup are small, every team's chances of winning that tournament are small, and their chances aren't so bad that it's outrageous to treat it as a real possibility.
Conference finals would be a pretty deep run. I'll be happy if we win the first round & get some playoffs experience under their belts.

I'm not saying they can't make it to the finals or even win it all. They can, of course. Everyone has a chance.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Sometimes the underdog wins through nothing other than variance alone. Any Given Sunday. It is a myth (and a very deleterious one) to suggest the favorite can win every game through sheer force of will alone, and that the favorite losing means they didn't play a game that would result in a win more often than not.

The Jets remain massive favorites to make the playoffs and significant favorites to do so in a top 3 spot. Thinking otherwise after a sample size of 2 is the definition of panicking, doubly so since it wasn't even two weeks ago our sample size of 2 against the two best teams in the league was 1-0-1.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Conference finals would be a pretty deep run. I'll be happy if we win the first round & get some playoffs experience under their belts.

I'm not saying they can't make it to the finals or even win it all. They can, of course. Everyone has a chance.

Yeah for sure. The Stanley Cup is a prestigious championship for a reason; it's an incredibly difficult tournament to win.

Having said that, if they play up to their potential in the playoffs, I'll be happy with almost any result. Of course, I'll be sweating that cup run and I'd like to do so for as long as possible ;)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

As much as I want to say that we just got goalied, that second period prevents me from doing so. Playing for the entire 60 minutes is such an essential part of hockey that failing to do so does not really allow you to play any excuse cards.

Then again, this type of play would often have resulted in a regulation win. This time, it didn't.
38 shots, 1 goal. I haven't checked the heat map but I recall at least 6-8 prime scoring opportunities they were denied on. Sure, they were poor in the second but Lundquist was the difference in the game, if not for him being the best player on the ice, the Jets win.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

38 shots, 1 goal. I haven't checked the heat map but I recall at least 6-8 prime scoring opportunities they were denied on. Sure, they were poor in the second but Lundquist was the difference in the game, if not for him being the best player on the ice, the Jets win.

According to Hockey Stats the Jets had the scoring chance edge 38 to 24 over the rangers.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not a bad game from the boys, need some killer instinct, though.

Man, Copp and his stone hands - if he had a little more touch.

Hendricks did all the things we need him to - loved having him back. Good PK, stood up for Toby, played some good minutes.

Myers had a nice bounceback game - thought he was solid and really driven to score (that goal callback was horseshit)

Really want Trouba back to get the pairs where they should be. Need a backup goalie to give Helle a rest - Maurice is burning him out and he might get hurt if we aren't careful.

Can't wait for Lowry and Tanev to come back to get Dano and Petan out of the lineup.

Reactions: Saintb

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Couldn't agree more.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
According to Hockey Stats the Jets had the scoring chance edge 38 to 24 over the rangers.

Every shot on goal counts as a 'Scoring Chance'? I guess you could say that given some of the goals that Pav has given up in his career, but seems like a joke of a stat to me. Whatever.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Seems like I'm the only one here saying anything negative about our lose today. But yes I just show up when we lose which is why I have over 16,000 posts on this site. Because I just show up when we lose.
Well, this team HAS lost a lot :laugh:

Reactions: ocdaddy

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Every shot on goal counts as a 'Scoring Chance'? I guess you could say that given some of the goals that Pav has given up in his career, but seems like a joke of a stat to me. Whatever.

They include missed shots from a certain range around the net. I don't believe it's a great metric myself but it is useful in showing that the majority of chances went the Jets way last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad