Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Between the two I've always leaned toward trying Greenway at center, but I thought Kunin looked pretty good there last night :dunno:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Parise-Kunin-Fiala line got off to a shaky start, but they started to gel as the game went on. I didn't notice any glaring deficiencies in his game and was strong on face-offs as well.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
RW for me. I don't think he was bad at center but we're already rotten with C's for next year, especially if Koivu's healthy.

On the flip side, if Koivu, Staal and Rask are all gone within the next couple years, the only other option we have long term for a guy who could potentially play top 6 C is... no one.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
RW for me. I don't think he was bad at center but we're already rotten with C's for next year, especially if Koivu's healthy.
i understand for next year but in general i dont see him as a terrible option. you have to think with 11/12 left hand forwards and 5/6 centers we will work that out with trades, contracts expiring and righties coming up through the system. i believe most of us are wanting a C prospect this year in the draft but if kunin is better suited i wouldnt mind keeping him there and trying to draft around him then. i dont see him as a 1C in the future sadly but he could prove me wrong.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
On the flip side, if Koivu, Staal and Rask are all gone within the next couple years, the only other option we have long term for a guy who could potentially play top 6 C is... no one.
Which is why it's nice that he (and Greenway) can play center.

I think losing Staal and Koivu is kind of a separate problem though: we need a future 1C and acquiring one continues to be Priority 1 for this team.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
technically we have sturm who may pan out? id like to see what the new kids in iowa can do before saying we have noone as a top 6 C of the future. khovanov and dewar might be good enough.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i understand for next year but in general i dont see him as a terrible option. you have to think with 11/12 left hand forwards and 5/6 centers we will work that out with trades, contracts expiring and righties coming up through the system. i believe most of us are wanting a C prospect this year in the draft but if kunin is better suited i wouldnt mind keeping him there and trying to draft around him then. i dont see him as a 1C in the future sadly but he could prove me wrong.
I also think he's better at RW than center, but we haven't really seen a ton of him at either position yet. I'm a little worried that we'll see him get tossed around the way Coyle was the last two seasons.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Has he looked good enough at C to leave him there now or are we wanting to keep him at RW?

The Wild are just so unbalanced when it comes to RHS/LHS FWDs that they'll probably put him on wing to start the year. Then if one of the centers goes down or is awful they will try him at center again. He kind of falls into the Coyle zone as far as positions.

I don't think he'll pull the disappearing act Coyle was known for. Kunin has a drive/motor like Parise, where even if he's not showing up on the score sheet he doesn't take shifts/games off.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Wild are just so unbalanced when it comes to RHS/LHS FWDs that they'll probably put him on wing to start the year. Then if one of the centers goes down or is awful they will try him at center again. He kind of falls into the Coyle zone as far as positions.

I don't think he'll pull the disappearing act Coyle was known for. Kunin has a drive/motor like Parise, where even if he's not showing up on the score sheet he doesn't take shifts/games off.
I don't know that I'd say Coyle ever took shifts off, but confidence often seemed to undercut his effectiveness. Kunin seems cockier.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I also think he's better at RW than center, but we haven't really seen a ton of him at either position yet. I'm a little worried that we'll see him get tossed around the way Coyle was the last two seasons.

i agree with both that he is in the coyle role right now as our only right hand shot forward so he is wanted to be a RW but might be used in a pinch at C. im more so trying to figure out which i like him better at. he looked good at both but i personally agree he is better suited for RW, seems to like Donato so let them flank Ek as they did during the season and it should look pretty. id let that be the 3rd line for this upcoming year. let them grow together and in the next year see if they can elevate to a 2nd line role.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I think losing Staal and Koivu is kind of a separate problem though: we need a future 1C and acquiring one continues to be Priority 1 for this team.

I guess from my perspective, I’d rather groom him to be a center now than wait until we need him to be one. It’s always easier to move someone from C to W than the reverse. So even if it means Rask and Eriksson Ek play wing, I think it’s more beneficial to have him there practicing.

technically we have sturm who may pan out? id like to see what the new kids in iowa can do before saying we have noone as a top 6 C of the future. khovanov and dewar might be good enough.

I’m not holding my breath for Sturm to become a top 6 C at all. Khovanov certainly has the raw skill to do it, but again, is far from a sure thing. McBain, Dewar (who has been projected to be a winger in the pros, if he makes it), none of them are projected to be top 6 C’s. Certainly not #1s. I’d rather not rely on the hope that they surpass expectations. We have no one in the organization that I’m comfortable projecting into a top 6 role except Kunin as a 2C.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I guess from my perspective, I’d rather groom him to be a center now than wait until we need him to be one. It’s always easier to move someone from C to W than the reverse. So even if it means Rask and Eriksson Ek play wing, I think it’s more beneficial to have him there practicing.

I’m not holding my breath for Sturm to become a top 6 C at all. Khovanov certainly has the raw skill to do it, but again, is far from a sure thing. McBain, Dewar (who has been projected to be a winger in the pros, if he makes it), none of them are projected to be top 6 C’s. Certainly not #1s. I’d rather not rely on the hope that they surpass expectations. We have no one in the organization that I’m comfortable projecting into a top 6 role except Kunin as a 2C.
i agree, i dont see any 1C in our system at all. idk how i feel about Kunin - Ek - Sturm/Rask/Etc. moving forward.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i like the way kunin (Q9) plays i hope we move him back to C because i think he has the talent to develop into a good #3C if not a #2C someday.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Say what now? If he could play center there is no way that Kunin would have played center to end the year.

Edit: They’ve even got Kunin playing center in Iowa with lefties on both side.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Say what now? If he could play center there is no way that Kunin would have played center to end the year.
Fine, I'll rephrase that as "I think Greenway would do alright at center." It's tangential, though. My point was mostly that all these guys are likely wingers and don't really factor into the 1C problem.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Fine, I'll rephrase that as "I think Greenway would do alright at center." It's tangential, though. My point was mostly that all these guys are likely wingers and don't really factor into the 1C problem.
I agree. I see Kunin as a 1RW or 2C if everything goes right. Probably be a 2nd liner for his career. I think our 1C is going to be picked at #12 this year. Probably Krebs or Newhook.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree. I see Kunin as a 1RW or 2C if everything goes right. Probably be a 2nd liner for his career. I think our 1C is going to be picked at #12 this year. Probably Krebs or Newhook.
I'm starting to feel that way myself, but I think it's probably just the U18 giddiness. It'll fade the second we make the pick.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
i saw a mock with krebs going to us since caufield jumped up to the nucks at 10
TacTixHD? :D

His mock was
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Podkolzin
6. Byram
7. Turcotte
8. Zegras
9. Boldy
10. Caufield
11. Broberg
12. Krebs
13. Soderstrom
14. Newhook
15. Lavoie

If that’s the way the draft plays out we need to be on the phone with Buffalo and Edmonton trying to find a player+ for their pick type of trade.
I'm starting to feel that way myself, but I think it's probably just the U18 giddiness. It'll fade the second we make the pick.
I think Krebs at 12 would be an absolute steal.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
TacTixHD? :D

His mock was
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Podkolzin
6. Byram
7. Turcotte
8. Zegras
9. Boldy
10. Caufield
11. Broberg
12. Krebs
13. Soderstrom
14. Newhook
15. Lavoie

If that’s the way the draft plays out we need to be on the phone with Buffalo and Edmonton trying to find a player+ for their pick type of trade.

I think Krebs at 12 would be an absolute steal.
yup thats the one. id give em zucker.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d still give Zucker+12 if both Zegras and Turcotte are on the board at 7/8.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kunin can be a 2nd line RW or a 3rd line center. The Wild have plenty of 3rd liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad