Player Discussion Luke Kunin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think you are right. If the team continues to lose and the season is lost, Kunin stays and Coyle or Nino will go somewhere. And, I'll bet that when Coyle or Nino is traded, fans won't like what we get in return.
Not necessarily, unless people still think that Coyle/Nino are 60 pt players. Which, to be fair, they did playing top line minutes with Staal. Perhaps they should try that line combo again when Koivu is healthy. I do think they will end up at 50ish points. Both are streaky players.
Everyone in here is sleeping on what Kunin might have the possibility to be forget how even though the stat sheet wasn't reflecting it yet, he was starting to figure out how to find space and play his game in the NHL. I often think back to watching Tuch and everyone claiming he wasn't the scorer we thought he would be or that he "just might never get it" and then look what happened. I think we are all so desperate for some youth with actual instant success, that we forget to temper expectations. Our current youth core has kind of made us look at things defensively instead of objectively.
True. Greenway didn’t really look that good last year or to start this year. He’s been getting a lot better recently though.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Must be a badger thing:sarcasm:
What’s funny about that was I remember commenting that his defense was rather mediocre while at Wisconsin. Then he went to the WJC and starred in a defensive role. After he left Wisconsin you could actually tell the difference he made at both ends of the rink.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
What’s funny about that was I remember commenting that his defense was rather mediocre while at Wisconsin. Then he went to the WJC and starred in a defensive role. After he left Wisconsin you could actually tell the difference he made at both ends of the rink.
Just a gopher fan giving you the business for being a badger fan. cheers

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Okay, then what makes a good defensive player?
Speed, Strength, intelligence, and probably the most important aspect would be the actual willingness to do it.

FTR- I never once said that Kunin was poor defensively. All I said was that he wasn't "elite" or "outstanding" or whatever adjective it was that you used.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Speed, Strength, intelligence, and probably the most important aspect would be the actual willingness to do it.

FTR- I never once said that Kunin was poor defensively. All I said was that he wasn't "elite" or "outstanding" or whatever adjective it was that you used.
Do you need every single one of those aspects in order to be excellent, the adjective I used, at defense?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would say that the effort and intelligence is always a must have, and at least one of the speed/strength. Your 2nd question should be obvious to anyone.
The reason I asked the first question is because I figured it was Koivu but he doesn't really have speed to his game. So would you say that Kunin is only missing the speed/strength aspect?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The reason I asked the first question is because I figured it was Koivu but he doesn't really have speed to his game. So would you say that Kunin is only missing the speed/strength aspect?
I don't think Kunin is missing anything. The kid has played 19 NHL games, he isn't "excellent" at anything yet. I will say that the handful of games that I saw him play with the Badgers, he didn't stand out to me as being particularly great defensively. Kid has talent, and he plays his ass off, but that doesn't mean he's going to be a great defensive player. See Parise.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He looks strong and solid. The question is the same as it is with JEE... any offense? Similar to JEE, looks to be an NHL regular but not many signs of high-end skill, lateral/separation speed and overall productivity.

But it's difficult to see any more time in the AHL somehow change that. Probably would rather have him in the AHL than the 4th line, but if they trade Nino/Coyle, he's a passable replacement (not as skilled/productive at least of yet but better option than the plugs in the 4th line).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Kunin was OK. Need to give him a bit of time to see where his game is at, but would have no problem with him going down to the AHL. I want him to work on his scoring, wherever he plays.

I like Ek, but scoring is unlikely to be his thing. He is bigger , stronger, and faster than Kunin. Hopefully he will be digging up pucks and feeding Kunin for years to come.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I thought Kunin was OK. Need to give him a bit of time to see where his game is at, but would have no problem with him going down to the AHL. I want him to work on his scoring, wherever he plays.

I like Ek, but scoring is unlikely to be his thing. He is bigger , stronger, and faster than Kunin. Hopefully he will be digging up pucks and feeding Kunin for years to come.

I haven't gotten the impression JEE is faster... Whenever I've watched Ek he actually seems pretty slow and lumbering. Kunin at least hustles.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek can really skate, but i agree he looks less than his best recently.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I haven't gotten the impression JEE is faster... Whenever I've watched Ek he actually seems pretty slow and lumbering. Kunin at least hustles.

It really hit me against Florida. Watching him trying to get to a loose puck is painful. He just looks so slow.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Maybe it's just me, but Eriksson-Ek is/looks faster on open ice than he does along the boards, where he tends to have BDS (Baby Deer Syndrome). He moves pretty well but he's easy to rub out along the boards, which is unfortunately where I tend to notice him the most. My hope is that it's just an ongoing adjustment from his SHL days and that he'll get stronger on his skates, but the longer it goes on the more worried I get.

The funny thing, and one of the things I appreciate most about his game, is that he's not at all shy about contact. He'll hit and mix it up in front of the net without hesitation. He's just so ****ing clumsy about it. He honestly reminds me of Prosser in that respect, and I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult.

Pulling it back to Kunin: he's had fewer games, but he generally seems more measured about his play. He's deferring to linemates and playing the 3rd man, but he's doing an okay job of it. I think he'll assert himself more as time goes on.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Pulling it back to Kunin: he's had fewer games, but he generally seems more measured about his play. He's deferring to linemates and playing the 3rd man, but he's doing an okay job of it. I think he'll assert himself more as time goes on.

I might be a Kunin apologist but this is a good analysis. He had more shot attempts last game but still looked to feed others first. If you just look at his positioning you can see that he has the scoring mindset. He will win a board battle and then go position himself in front of the net or in the slot looking for a feed, problem with that is when you're on a line with Foligno and JEE you're not going to get a lot of feeds for the chances he typically capitalizes on. I watch a lot of the Iowa games and Luke looked very comfortable stepping up on the NHL ice this time.. looked like his typical game, the only difference was he wasn't option 1a on his line or getting the puck fed to him the same way. I would have loved to see Kunin on Koivu's wing to get a fair representation of what he can bring. That play down the boards when he walked bast Giordano was a great example of what he can bring that that 3rd line lacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad