Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Nate Leaman is "some U20 coach" to you?

Doesn't suggest you watch a lot of hockey.

In the age of Google that is mystifying that you don't at least look it up before making uninformed comments.

In addition to turning TWO doormat NCAA programs into consistent winners - including a national championship at Providence the man was the USA coach just last season when they won a gold medal.
Ah yes, I must not watch much hockey since I dont know a college coach

Luckily that coach will mean nothing to Luke's career after this tournament, so I dont have to go researching the great Nate Leaman

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Ah yes, I must not watch much hockey since I dont know a college coach

Luckily that coach will mean nothing to Luke's career after this tournament, so I dont have to go researching the great Nate Leaman

You should maybe ask yourself why Luke Hughes isn't in the good grace of Nate Leaman instead of acting as if he's this no name chump that has it out for our wonder boy.

Your overhyping of the kid has reached a level that is borderline confusing. We all want him to be the player he's labeled to be but as of today, and I don't want to burst your bubble during the holidays, he's not the guy you paint him to be.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
You should maybe ask yourself why Luke Hughes isn't in the good grace of Nate Leaman instead of acting as if he's this no name chump that has it out for our wonder boy.

Your overhyping of the kid has reached a level that is borderline confusing. We all want him to be the player he's labeled to be but as of today, and I don't want to burst your bubble during the holidays, he's not the guy you paint him to be.
Luke is one of the youngest kids on the team and it’s his first tournament I think? Hockey coaches are gonna hockey coach.

Reactions: HyperX

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Based on what? Dude you have been making nothing but baseless comments all day.

There is nothing indicating Luke isn't the player people expect him to be. It's pretty clear you haven't watched a second of him play for Michigan this year

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

There is nothing indicating Luke isn't the player people expect him to be. It's pretty clear you haven't watched a second of him play for Michigan this year
I think he’s saying he’s NHL ready and already better than Ty smith like that guy keeps saying.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Based on what? Well for starters, when the poster I'm responding to states that Luke Hughes is a better option, today, then Ty Smith and PK Subban, when he can't even crack a regular shift on the US's junior team. That comment alone is all I need to know that the hype machine is in full effect. If you think he's a better option then certain players on our current roster, more power to you, I don't.

I'll say it one more time, playing on a boosted Michigan team against lesser talent is great and everyone's happy that he's posting up huge #'s, but I think we should take a step back and not go overboard. I don't think Luke would be as impressive if he was playing for any other program, since he wouldn't have the same talent level to feed off and it's probably hidding more mistakes then one would think.

Calling my comments baseless when in retrospect, it's only calling a spade a spade is pretty funny to me. I don't know why you and others are so defensive when the facts are right there in front of you but hey, I'm on a Devils board, so I should know better that if you're not throwing praises at our players/prospects, it's probably because you're not that great of a fan.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You'd expect to see more from a 4th overall pick. Not playing a single minute in a 1-0 loss to an, on paper, inferior opponent isn't a good look. Disgrace.

I see what you did there!

How is the USA forced to forfeit due to one positive test? Wasn't that the reason for the extra roster spots?

Eaux Canada.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Based on what? Well for starters, when the poster I'm responding to states that Luke Hughes is a better option, today, then Ty Smith and PK Subban, when he can't even crack a regular shift on the US's junior team. That comment alone is all I need to know that the hype machine is in full effect. If you think he's a better option then certain players on our current roster, more power to you, I don't.

I'll say it one more time, playing on a boosted Michigan team against lesser talent is great and everyone's happy that he's posting up huge #'s, but I think we should take a step back and not go overboard. I don't think Luke would be as impressive if he was playing for any other program, since he wouldn't have the same talent level to feed off and it's probably hidding more mistakes then one would think.

Calling my comments baseless when in retrospect, it's only calling a spade a spade is pretty funny to me. I don't know why you and others are so defensive when the facts are right there in front of you but hey, I'm on a Devils board, so I should know better that if you're not throwing praises at our players/prospects, it's probably because you're not that great of a fan.
Although I agree saying that Luke is ready to be in the NHL is way overboard, I don’t think we should downplay coaching preferences for his usage in the WJC, nor should we use this usage to downplay his potential/skill. The best example of this is Brandt Clarke. Dude is legitimately one of the best D prospects in the league and everyone knows he could’ve been playing on Canada’s top pair in this year’s WJC. He wasn’t even selected to play on the Canadian team, most likely because of coaching preferences. That doesn’t mean he isn’t skilled enough or good enough to crack the roster, he definitely is. Luke Hughes is good enough to be a top-4 D-man in this year’s US WJC team. Why isn’t he? Experience? Coaching style? I don’t know. But that doesn’t make me any less excited for him as a prospect, nor do I think it should be used to downplay him.

I 100% agree that Luke Hughes isn’t ready for the show. But, for some reason, you seem more down than most on him, is there any particular reason as to why? Not saying you should or shouldn’t, just wondering.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Luke is one of the youngest kids on the team and it’s his first tournament I think? Hockey coaches are gonna hockey coach.
The thing is, again, playing times aren’t set in stone and that was the first game. Sanderson didn’t start out with top pairing ice time last year and playing time varied for most of the defense (other than York who always got a ton during all seven games).

Also people are looking at this in very Luke-centric terms. Leaman might see this as a nice balance of talent on all three lines. Sanderson & Faber are obviously the two main pillars, being the returnees who ended up playing big minutes last year.

The big knock I guess would be that he lost out to Kaiser, whose on Faber’s left, but Leaman might not want to play him on his off-side. (The scratched Morrow is the third RHD). It doesn’t necessarily means he hates Luke or that Luke failed in life or Leaman is an idiot.

And people can be disappointed (though it’s just a 7 game tourney folks). Leaman changed his pairs up in the last tournament after the first game or two though, so making conclusions about the whole tournament now is definitely jumping the gun.

I don’t know what today’s cancellation means in terms of the chances for future games for the US team so arguing about this might be even more pointless then usual (if that’s possible).

Reactions: Devs3cups

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The thing is, again, playing times aren’t set in stone and that was the first game. Sanderson didn’t start out with top pairing ice time last year and playing time varied for most of the defense (other than York who always got a ton during all seven games).

Also people are looking at this in very Luke-centric terms. Leaman might see this as a nice balance of talent on all three lines. Sanderson & Faber are obviously the two main pillars, being the returnees who ended up playing big minutes last year.

The big knock I guess would be that he lost out to Kaiser, whose on Faber’s left, but Leaman might not want to play him on his off-side. (The scratched Morrow is the third RHD). It doesn’t necessarily means he hates Luke or that Luke failed in life or Leaman is an idiot.

And people can be disappointed (though it’s just a 7 game tourney folks). Leaman changed his pairs up in the last tournament after the first game or two though, so making conclusions about the whole tournament now is definitely jumping the gun.

I don’t know what today’s cancellation means in terms of the chances for future games for the US team so arguing about this might be even more pointless then usual (if that’s possible).

Luke's a failure of a 4th round pick for not playing today and helping the team forfeit.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm usually the pessimistic one and I think it's natural to be concerned with his usage in game 1 of the WJC, but even I think it's too early to be writing him off....

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
People are flirting pretty close with the "we should have drafted Edvinsson" button due to that one game.
I’m not sure how that is “writing him off”. People saying they wish we had taken Edvinsson or that they think he is better is in no way writing off Hughes.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
are you reading the same thing i am? people are freaking out that he’s not in pp2 and spiraling into the past 6 years of drafting declaring it all a failure.

there are absolutely some insane takes
I don’t think you’re reading the same thing. I don’t see anybody doing what you said at all.

There’s literally just someone disagreeing with someone who’s saying Luke is NHL ready and better already than current players such as Ty Smith and Subban. No one freaking out or declaring it a failure or Luke a bust. Literally just trying to calm down the hype a bit.
Do you think Luke is NHL ready right now and would be better than some of our current defensemen?

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Sanderson played a big role at the start and through the whole tournament as one of their top defensemen and running a power play last year. It could change but as of right now it looks like Luke is the 6th D. I think he played more than Peart but I’m not even sure about that because Peart runs the second power play. Maybe he can change that throughout the tournament. Luke was the defensemen on the third pair rotating out for Peart. It’s not the end of the world but obviously it will be a little disappointing if this is the role he plays all tournament. He also didn’t play very good in the first game. I think how well he plays is more important than the role he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad