Prospect Info: Luke Hughes (#4 overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We are def getting into semantics here, but middle of the slot? No. That's the far side of the slot. And that's where he released the shot from, he received the puck even further on the far side of the ice.

Also if we watch from the beginning the eventual goal scorer starts the sequence shoulder to shoulder with #90 on the far dot, then skates through the slot where Hughes is covering, then up towards the blue line before curling back and picking up the puck above the circle.

Why do I mention the whole sequence? Because #13 was #90's responsibility for a bit, then Hughes's responsiblity for a bit, then skates up towards the blue line then towards the far point. He's not Hughes's man per se. Like I said this is not man to man defense. Hughes is protecting an area, and that area is not above the far circle.

Now he does drift too much away from the play, I think he does so thinking Michigan wins that puck battle there given the OSU player is falling down and the puck is on a Michigan players stick. That's why the Michigan center begins to leak out, and it may be why the Michigan RW is so far off screen.

And the result is a shot from 30 something feet out where the goalie has a clean look.

I def reeled in my initial take that this had nothing to do with Hughes. But in that sequence, I see a lost puck battle (to an OSU player on his knees), a center leaking out behind the play, a RW nowhere to be found and a shot that the goalie needs to stop. I've enjoyed the discussion, and I do concede some ground, but I still don't put much of the weight on Hughes's shoulder there.
Hughes doesn’t have a specific area he’s protecting. He’s not covering the right side circle. He should be reading the play and putting himself in positions to stop them. He wasn’t covering anybody. If everybody is on the other side of the ice he doesn’t just get to say oh well none of them are my responsibility. Man on man or not every other Michigan player was with an Ohio player and Luke was in a spot where he could easily have stopped the guy who got that goal. He was in no man’s land.

If Luke was up on that player like I’m saying he should’ve been that player would not have scored that goal or he may not have even gotten that pass if Luke was tight enough. And there’s no one else around him or behind him that posed a threat if he pushes up further.
These aren’t 10 year olds. They can and need to read the play and realize where the danger could come from. Regardless of whether the goalie should’ve saved that or not. Shots go in from areas like that all of the time. He’s also aloud to go above the tops of the circle or across the ice to play defence, especially when that’s where the play and all of the other players are.
And what exactly was he covering? there was no one or nothing around him.

No goal in hockey is ever one single players fault and there was probably at least 3-4 players at fault on that goal and I think Luke was a largely at fault. Sure the player who turned it over was largely at fault as well and the goalie should’ve done better. But that is bad defence by Hughes IMO based on everything I learned as a hockey player and more specifically a defensemen.

Also IMO if they’re playing zonal coverage where that guy was is exactly where I’d want my RD to be given how high the puck was and given the fact that all of there players were so high. You need your players to push up to take away their time and space and there is no use in sitting back like Hughes did. That just leaves open space for them to exploit.

Just tell me this. If Luke is up right on that guy like I’m suggesting he should’ve been. What can Ohio do and what options do they have? Is there anyone else who is even in a somewhat threatening position or is Luke leaving someone else open or in a dangerous spot?

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hughes doesn’t have a specific area he’s protecting. He’s not covering the right side circle. He should be reading the play and putting himself in positions to stop them. He wasn’t covering anybody. If everybody is on the other side of the ice he doesn’t just get to say oh well none of them are my responsibility. Man on man or not every other Michigan player was with an Ohio player and Luke was in a spot where he could easily have stopped the guy who got that goal. He was in no man’s land.

If Luke was up on that player like I’m saying he should’ve been that player would not have scored that goal or he may not have even gotten that pass if Luke was tight enough. And there’s no one else around him or behind him that posed a threat if he pushes up further.
These aren’t 10 year olds. They can and need to read the play and realize where the danger could come from. Regardless of whether the goalie should’ve saved that or not. Shots go in from areas like that all of the time. He’s also aloud to go above the tops of the circle or across the ice to play defence, especially when that’s where the play and all of the other players are.
And what exactly was he covering? there was no one or nothing around him.

No goal in hockey is ever one single players fault and there was probably at least 3-4 players at fault on that goal and I think Luke was a largely at fault. Sure the player who turned it over was largely at fault as well and the goalie should’ve done better. But that is bad defence by Hughes IMO based on everything I learned as a hockey player and more specifically a defensemen.

Also IMO if they’re playing zonal coverage where that guy was is exactly where I’d want my RD to be given how high the puck was and given the fact that all of there players were so high. You need your players to push up to take away their time and space and there is no use in sitting back like Hughes did. That just leaves open space for them to exploit.

Just tell me this. If Luke is up right on that guy like I’m suggesting he should’ve been. What can Ohio do and what options do they have? Is there anyone else who is even in a somewhat threatening position or is Luke leaving someone else open or in a dangerous spot?
Already mentioned it. OSU lhd can sneak back door. Or there can be a further break down of the play along the boards where a 2-1 develops behind him.

Just like the OSU goal scorer was shoulder to shoulder with Mich lhd on the opposite dot just moments before. Just like there was 2 Michigan players on the puck while the closest OSU player was falling into the boards a second before, situations change quickly.

The idea that Hughes should be "right up on that guy" is just not something I'm getting behind.

The idea that there are situations where Hughes should be playing D above the circles on the far side of the ice, because there are currently no opposition players below the top on the circle on his side of the ice is just not something I can get behind.

Hughes was a little soft on maintaining his area. He did drift. But he did account for the OSU player enough that the result was a shot from 35 feet out where the goalie had a clear look.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Already mentioned it. OSU lhd can sneak back door. Or there can be a further break down of the play along the boards where a 2-1 develops behind him.

Just like the OSU goal scorer was shoulder to shoulder with Mich lhd on the opposite dot just moments before. Just like there was 2 Michigan players on the puck while the closest OSU player was falling into the boards a second before, situations change quickly.

The idea that Hughes should be "right up on that guy" is just not something I'm getting behind.

The idea that there are situations where Hughes should be playing D above the circles on the far side of the ice, because there are currently no opposition players below the top on the circle on his side of the ice is just not something I can get behind.

Hughes was a little soft on maintaining his area. He did drift. But he did account for the OSU player enough that the result was a shot from 35 feet out where the goalie had a clear look.
He should’ve been up on the guy. Even if he moves up there he is closer to his net than any of there players. If a d starts moving in he can easily move back and be ahead of him. If things break down and one of his teamates loses a man he can easily get back. He shouldn’t have to worry about that anyways.
Not sure why you’re saying above the circles on the far side of the ice. He was much closer to the middle than the far side of the ice (he would literally just be past the centre line).

That’s how you play good defence. Tight and in your face. Don’t give them any breathing room. There is absolutely no reason for Luke to be sitting back there and there’s zero risk to him pushing up on that guy. He’s still in a good position to defend a defensemen who tries to sneak in. He’s actually in a better position than he is sitting back because he’s still well on the d side of things but always has a better gap on that defensemen so he could angle with him and he wouldn’t just be able to walk in for a shot. If his teammates along the boards lose their guys he’s still in a good spot to help out there too.

Last edited:

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
With Hughes getting a limited role in the WJC, can we now put to bed this notion that he’s better then certain guys we have on our roster and that he might crack our team next year?

The kid is super young and still has A LOT to learn before making the jump to the NHL. I say he stays in Michigan next year and I’d have him play a full season in Utica the following year.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
With Hughes getting a limited role in the WJC, can we now put to bed this notion that he’s better then certain guys we have on our roster and that he might crack our team next year?

The kid is super young and still has A LOT to learn before making the jump to the NHL. I say he stays in Michigan next year and I’d have him play a full season in Utica the following year.
Amen
He’s definitely not already better than Smith and another year would be good for him. Hopefully he can be the guy at Michigan and for the US next year.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Pretty sure this idea wasn't shared by many posters haha. Hughes will 100% play in Michigan again next season and might, I repeat, MIGHT get a shot with the big team/join us when that season ends. Maybe he'll make the team full time in 2023-2024, but we'll see. No need to rush him really, I think he'll be ready to make a true impact most probably in 2023-2024, after college and definitely in 2024-2025.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
There is almost no way he plays a full season in Utica after 2 years of college. You guys are nuts

What makes you say that? He’s doing really well on a team that is probably the most stacked team to ever play in the NCAA but that doesn’t take away the fact that he’s very raw and needs fix a lot of things before making the jump to the pros.

I just don’t see the disadvantages of taking our time and bringing up a kid that is in full control of his play with a confidence level that is equally as high.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t know why people keep saying “confidence level”, there are specific aspects of his game he can work on and improve. Maturity is thing but it’s not just some sort of psychological journey.

And he’s played 20 NCAA games, I don’t know how people have jumped to arguing post-2023-24 predictions before seeing what happens next year. (If people enjoy that sort of thing have at it I guess.)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021

Luke Hughes, if he started tomorrow, after ~75 NHL games (Smith's career #) is a better player than Ty Smith

Dynamic skating is the difference - Luke went fourth overall for a reason (could have easily gone second if Seattle and Anaheim didn't want a center). Hes a better prospect at 18 then Quinn was, he just so happened to go to college a year earlier (due to birth dates relative to draft classes)

Luke is a bigger, better defensively, Quinn Hughes with less offensive explosion. Theres pedigree here and he wont be taking 2+ years to show up, especially not with Jack here.

A single WJC game and what some U20 coach thinks whos taking into account seniority doesn't change that; he is almost PPG in 20 games at Michigan as an 18yo

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
And what basis is there to even believe this will happen with Luke after 20 NCAA games and one WJC game?
Basically more speculation on my end given his rawness and young age during his draft year. I agree he'll probably be here in 2023-2024, but I don't think the year after that is that extreme of a stretch.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Luke Hughes, if he started tomorrow, after ~75 NHL games (Smith's career #) is a better player than Ty Smith

Dynamic skating is the difference - Luke went fourth overall for a reason (could have easily gone second if Seattle and Anaheim didn't want a center). Hes a better prospect at 18 then Quinn was, he just so happened to go to college a year earlier (due to birth dates relative to draft classes)

Luke is a bigger, better defensively, Quinn Hughes with less offensive explosion. Theres pedigree here and he wont be taking 2+ years to show up, especially not with Jack here.

A single WJC game and what some U20 coach thinks whos taking into account seniority doesn't change that; he is almost PPG in 20 games at Michigan as an 18yo
Are you forgetting how good Ty was in juniors? He won WHL defensemen of the year twice in a row and CHL defensemen of the year one of those years while also doing well playing for team Canada two years at the World Juniors. He had a very good rookie season last year and a bit of a tough one this year.

Luke is not as good of a skater as Quinn even though he is a very good skater and he’s not quite as skilled. And how can you say Luke is better defensively? What has he done to show that?

As easily as he could’ve gone 2nd or 3rd he could’ve gone 7th or 8th if other teams didn’t want defensemen. And it’s not like either of those teams would’ve been against taking a defensemen.

Also the coach who isn’t playing him a ton because of seniority is playing a late 2nd round pick from the same draft with less NCAA experience than him who is 5 months older on the power play above him and is also playing a 17 year old forward on that same power play and as their 2nd line center.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

I would sincerely suggest to pump the brakes on your man crush regarding Luke Hughes. He’s a good prospect, nobody is denying that, but your constant belief that he’s better then current NHL’ers is ludicrous and yes, he’s posting up good #’s for Michigan as a freshman but ignoring the fact that he’s on the most stacked team the NCAA has ever seen shouldn’t be brushed aside as if it’s no big deal.

If he would’ve had the start Power did with a hat trick to open up his tournament and played in the WC a couple of months ago, while playing a key role on the top pair, I could see your point but he has done nothing close to that as of today.

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I would sincerely suggest to pump the brakes on your man crush regarding Luke Hughes. He’s a good prospect, nobody is denying that, but your constant belief that he’s better then current NHL’ers is ludicrous and yes, he’s posting up good #’s for Michigan as a freshman but ignoring the fact that he’s on the most stacked team the NCAA has ever seen shouldn’t be brushed aside as if it’s no big deal.

If he would’ve had the start Power did with a hat trick to open up his tournament and played in the WC a couple of months ago, while playing a key role on the top pair, I could see your point but he has done nothing close to that as of today.
Luke Hughes is a great prospect, one of the best D prospects in the league, and is playing great this season. The fact that he’s also extremely young is also great given his performance. But he is nowhere close to being ready. You’re 100% correct here.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Nate Leaman is "some U20 coach" to you?

Doesn't suggest you watch a lot of hockey.

In the age of Google that is mystifying that you don't at least look it up before making uninformed comments.

In addition to turning TWO doormat NCAA programs into consistent winners - including a national championship at Providence the man was the USA coach just last season when they won a gold medal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad